Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2014.03.14, 12:22 PM   #31
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

From Autosport.com

Lewis Hamilton lent some credibility to the hype surrounding Mercedes by posting the fastest time in Friday practice at the Australian Grand Prix, as the Formula One season kicked off with teams still struggling with reliability problems.

The 2008 world champion could not finish a lap in the first session due to an oil pressure sensor problem, but topped the timesheets in the second with a lap of one minute 29.625 seconds on a glorious sunny day at Albert Park.

Champions Red Bull, who arrived under a cloud after problems throughout winter testing, also made a promising start and breathed a sigh of relief.

Quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel finished an encouraging fourth on the timesheets, with his new team mate Daniel Ricciardo sixth behind McLaren's Jenson Button.

Hamilton's quickest lap edged out team mate Nico Rosberg by 0.157 seconds as the pace of the two Mercedes' drivers carried on from their strong showing in winter testing.

"I was trying to feel the car. I missed obviously P1 (first practice) which I felt like was a big back-step," Hamilton told reporters in the paddock.

"I'm satisfied with P2...Not the most perfect day but I'm really glad I got some run in P2 and just grateful I got some time to feel the car."

"I've still got a lot to improve on, a lot to find. Otherwise the balance doesn't feel too bad."

Teams struggled to come to terms with the new turbocharged hybrid engines during pre-season, and continued to battle glitches during practice, with drivers cooling their heels for long stretches in the garages, as technicians tinkered frantically.

Excursions onto the track saw plenty of over-steering at corners and skids into the grass as drivers fought to handle the new braking systems, extra torque and reduced downforce of the V6 power units.

Ferrari's two-time world champion Fernando Alonso handled conditions better than most, posting the quickest lap of one minute 31.840 seconds in the first session and finishing third fastest in the second.

His new team mate Kimi Raikkonen, returning to Ferrari after four seasons away, had a low-key start, posting the seventh fastest time in the second session after being rolled back to the garage due to an aborted start at the exit of the pit lane.

German Vettel, bidding for a fifth successive F1 title, was forced to pit quickly in the first session due to a heat problem and survived a skid on the grass in the second but his 51 laps for the day was a third of his total mileage for the winter.

"I'm quite surprised today, both Dan (Ricciardo) and I did a lot of laps so that's very good news, so let's see what tomorrow brings," Vettel said. "I learned a lot today, we're in a much happier place already."

Hamilton was left fuming when his car stopped at turn nine of his installation lap just five minutes into the first session.

With the vehicle hauled off by a tow-truck, the 29-year-old Briton walked back to the paddock without taking his helmet off and suffered the indignity of being stopped by security before retreating into his team's tent.

Brazilian Felipe Massa was 12th fastest for Williams, outshone in his first drive for the British-based team by Finnish team mate Valtteri Bottas, who was eighth quickest in the second practice.

Lotus, who missed the first test of the season because their car was not ready on time, suffered a black day with only French driver Romain Grosjean able to post a lap time, his best only 18th from 19 cars in the later session.

McLaren's Kevin Magnussen was the best of the three F1 rookies, the Dane ninth fastest in P2.

Kamui Kobayashi's return to F1 with Caterham was forgettable, as both he and his debutant team mate Marcus Ericsson were unable to post a lap time in either session due to reliability issues.

2nd Free Practice Session from the Formula One Australian Grand Prix at Albert Park on Friday

1. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) Mercedes 1:29.625

2. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Mercedes 1:29.782

3. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Ferrari 1:30.132

4. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) RedBull - Renault 1:30.381

5. Jenson Button (Britain) McLaren 1:30.510

6. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) RedBull - Renault 1:30.538

7. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Ferrari 1:30.898

8. Valtteri Bottas (Finland) Williams-Mercedes 1:30.920

9. Kevin Magnussen (Denmark) McLaren 1:31.031

10. Nico Huelkenberg (Germany) Force India - Mercedes 1:31.054

11. Jean-Eric Vergne (France) Toro Rosso - Renault 1:31.060

12. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Williams-Mercedes 1:31.119

13. Sergio Perez (Mexico) Force India - Mercedes 1:31.283

14. Adrian Sutil (Germany) Sauber - Ferrari 1:32.355

15. Esteban Gutierrez (Mexico) Sauber - Ferrari 1:32.468

16. Danill Kvyat (Russia) Toro Rosso - Renault 1:32.495

17. Jules Bianchi (France) Marussia - Ferrari 1:33.486

18. Romain Grosjean (France) Lotus - Renault 1:33.646

19. Max Chilton (Britain) Marussia - Ferrari 1:34.757

20. Marcus Ericsson (Sweden) Caterham - Renault

21. Kamui Kobayashi (Japan) Caterham - Renault

22. Pastor Maldonado (Venezuela) Lotus - Renault

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.14, 12:22 PM   #32
TheSteve
VE7FM

Summary after P1 and P2 - cars sound like crap, teams all look tired, cars all look funny.
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.14, 05:09 PM   #33
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
Summary after P1 and P2 - cars sound like crap, teams all look tired, cars all look funny.
I found it hilarious that the dB rating of the Aussie V8 Supercars is higher than the new F1 engines.

You'd be tired too if you had sleepless nights trying to make sure the cars/teams dont embarress themselves and make a full race distance in the 2hr time limit.

Although they look funny they look less funny in motion than the still shots we've seen from preseason.

5 engines for the season....any bets on how many teams use up their first by the end of the AusGP?

my custom body album...
Old 2014.03.15, 02:06 AM   #34
TheSteve
VE7FM

Absolutely amazing finish to qualifying. I would have preferred full dry just to see out right pace but that was great stuff!
Old 2014.03.15, 10:37 AM   #35
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Full review from Autosport:

Lewis Hamilton claimed the first pole position of the 2014 Formula 1 season in qualifying for the Australian Grand Prix, while world champion Sebastian Vettel failed even to make Q3.

The Mercedes driver, on wet tyres, knocked Vettel's Red Bull team-mate Daniel Ricciardo, who was on intermediate rubber, off top spot by three tenths of a second in the final seconds of a rain-hit session.

Nico Rosberg, who had briefly taken first place before Hamilton and Ricciardo improved late on, was third ahead of McLaren's rookie Kevin Magnussen.

Both drivers, as well as fifth-placed Ferrari man Fernando Alonso, set their times on wet rubber with opinion split among the 10 runners as to which tyre compound was preferable.

Toro Rosso's Jean-Eric Vergne showed his wet weather prowess with a superb sixth place ahead of Force India driver Nico Hulkenberg, both setting their times on intermediates.

Behind the pair was debutant Daniil Kvyat, who impressed despite an off in Q3 on the run between Turns 10 and 11.

He took eighth place on wet rubber, ahead of Williams drivers Felipe Massa (intermediates) and Valtteri Bottas (wets), although the latter must serve a five-place grid penalty for a gearbox change before qualifying.

Several of the drivers who failed to advance from Q2 to Q3 were unable to improve thanks to yellow flags caused by Kimi Raikkonen's late crash as rain returned in intermediate conditions.

The Ferrari driver lost the rear at the exit of Turn 3 and spun into the wall, with Vettel among those who were attempting to jump into the top 10 at the time.

With both failing to make the cut in 12th and 13th, Jenson Button made it three world champions to fail to make the top 10 shootout in 11th.

Sauber's Adrian Sutil, Caterham's Kamui Kobayashi and Force India driver Sergio Perez, who ran through the gravel at Turn 2 on his final flying lap, also fell in Q2.

Marussia driver Max Chilton was the fastest of the drivers to be knocked out in Q1, which was effectively ended at a point when most had managed only one run thanks to rain at the halfway mark.

Chilton was just 19 thousandths of a second slower than Kobayashi, who did make the cut but was unable to do better than 15th in the second stage of qualifying.

Chilton's eam-mate Jules Bianchi, Sauber's Esteban Gutierrez (who will be hit with a five-place penalty for a gearbox change) and Caterham rookie Marcus Ericsson were also eliminated in Q1.

Joining them were the two Lotus E22s of Romain Grosjean and Pastor Maldonado, the latter not able to attempt a lap until the damp conditions late on and having two off-track excursions before aborting his run.
Australian Grand Prix starting grid

1. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) Mercedes

2. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) RedBull - Renault

3. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Mercedes

4. Kevin Magnussen (Denmark) McLaren

5. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Ferrari

6. Jean-Eric Vergne (France) Toro Rosso - Renault

7. Nico Huelkenberg (Germany) Force India - Mercedes

8. Danill Kvyat (Russia) Toro Rosso - Renault

9. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Williams-Mercedes

10. Jenson Button (Britain) McLaren

11. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Ferrari

12. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) RedBull - Renault

13. Adrian Sutil (Germany) Sauber - Ferrari

14. Kamui Kobayashi (Japan) Caterham - Renault

15. Valtteri Bottas (Finland) Williams-Mercedes

16. Sergio Perez (Mexico) Force India - Mercedes

17. Max Chilton (Britain) Marussia - Ferrari

18. Jules Bianchi (France) Marussia - Ferrari

19. Marcus Ericsson (Sweden) Caterham - Renault

20. Romain Grosjean (France) Lotus - Renault

21. Esteban Gutierrez (Mexico) Sauber - Ferrari

22. Pastor Maldonado (Venezuela) Lotus - Renault

AutoSport - 2014-03-14, 10:44 PM

Pretty impressive stuff from the rookies today. Both Toro Rosso into Q3 and Kevin Magnussen out qualifying JB.

Riccardo in P2 when Vettel gets P13...my day was made right there.

Very interesting session. Let's hope the race is as interesting.

One sidenote I found out yesterday from the rules...apparently you can carry over grid penalties this year. For example if you qualify 17 with a 10 grid penalty you start 22 and carry over 5 penalty position to the next race.

Super *** IMO.

my custom body album...
Old 2014.03.16, 02:59 AM   #36
TheSteve
VE7FM

Exciting start to the race. Was interesting to see two such key drivers out so quickly. Race kind of went down hill from there. In the past I have watched the world feed. I don't have the service that provided that anymore, so I watched the NBC Sports version - sheesh those guys are clueless. They can be entertaining at times but it is hard to tell they are watching the same race I am.

I noticed we were rarely shown any lap times - is that just because the cars are now so slow?
My wife wandered into the room while I was watching and asked why the cars sound so terrible, lol. They remind me of the sound of racing games from the late 90's.

I think Bottas is my driver of the day, would have been nice to have seen Massa except he was probed at high speed before his race really got going.

Overall there is some neat technology in F1, but I honestly believe the sport is going in the wrong direction...
Old 2014.03.16, 08:41 PM   #37
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I have to agree with everything you say Steve...i just finished watching the race.

The fastest lap of the race was a full 9 seconds slower than the V10's of 2004 era.

Good podium but a real shame that RedBull screwed the pooch on his fuel rate flow...a beautiful Aus podium snatched away with a DQ.

Some quality rookies out there for this season with kevin magnussen making his debut with an adjusted 2nd place.

Weird beginning to a full hybrid F1.

my custom body album...
Old 2014.03.17, 04:40 AM   #38
NoBrainer

hihi

I like GT series and that kind of sound, so I had no issue with the sound.
V12 sounds after my opinion better than the V8, but that's pure taste.

I liked the new cars.
Seems to be much more driving now. Much more down to the driver.

But this was the first race and so many did not complete the event so it's a bit too early.
Still looking forward to the rest of the season.

Why would you like V8 better than the BRM v16 1.6L....so I think people just get angry since something is changing.

Old 2014.03.19, 09:40 AM   #39
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBrainer View Post
hihi

I like GT series and that kind of sound, so I had no issue with the sound.
V12 sounds after my opinion better than the V8, but that's pure taste.

I liked the new cars.
Seems to be much more driving now. Much more down to the driver.

But this was the first race and so many did not complete the event so it's a bit too early.
Still looking forward to the rest of the season.

Why would you like V8 better than the BRM v16 1.6L....so I think people just get angry since something is changing.

I'm sorry but in my opinion there's no drama to the sound of the new F1.

Check out RetroF1's compilation of V12, V10 and V8's...with the volume to 11 it made me cry at how much I miss the sound of the Premier Class.

It'll never be the same...I'll watch it but it doesn't mean i have to like it.

http://bit.ly/1eRsH7d

my custom body album...
Old 2014.03.28, 10:20 AM   #40
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

From Autosport.com:

Mercedes' early season strength was again evident with German Nico Rosberg going fastest in Friday's second practice for the Malaysian Grand Prix as a number of Formula One teams suffered teething problems on a tricky day.

Rosberg, who won the season opening race in Australia two weeks ago, clocked a best time of one minute, 39.909 seconds in the second session at a steamy, slippy Sepang circuit, where track temperatures reached 50 degrees Celsius, testing the cooling systems on the new V6 turbo engines to the max.

Rosberg's team mate Lewis Hamilton had clocked the best time of 1:40.691 in the opening session despite sliding off the track earlier on Friday, but the Briton was only fourth in the second with a 1:40.051 after more grip issues.

The 2008 world champion complained on the team radio after his first venture into the gravel that the circuit was "like driving on marbles" with less downforce and more torque and power on the new cars taking some getting used to.

Kimi Raikkonen was second quickest on Friday for Ferrari with a best time just 0.035 seconds back of Rosberg, with team mate Fernando Alonso fifth with a 1:40.103.

The Spanish double world champion had led the timesheets in the opening half of the first session before making an error and spinning at turn eight and then concentrated on system and balance checks as his times slipped back.

World champion Sebastian Vettel was third quickest in the second session with a best time of 1:39.970 seconds but Red Bull team principal Christian Horner told Skysports that the team were having problems with a fuel sensor that required changing.

Fuel flow rates had led to Vettel's team mate Daniel Ricciardo being disqualified from his home grand prix in Melbourne last week, a verdict the team have appealed.

The Australian was seventh quickest in the second session on Friday and ended the day by taking a run over the grass.

He was behind Felipe Massa of Williams who also took a spin at turn eight, like his former Ferrari team mate Alonso, while Sauber's Adrian Sutil, Force India's Nico Hulkenberg and Jean-Eric Vergne in the Toro Rosso also had similar spin issues.

McLaren's Kevin Magnussen had an up-and-down day with his car stopping on the track at turn 15 in the opening session before the Danish rookie bemoaned oversteering in the second as he finished down the grid.

It was nothing compared to the problems of Lotus, however, with Pastor Maldonado not even making it out for the second session after engineers worked on his car which billowed smoke in the opening 90 minute run before he could register a time.

Romain Grosjean's Lotus faired little better with his car stopping at turn 10 also without him setting a lap before his second session was interrupted by another problem with his team telling him to bring the car back to the garage in second gear.

Japan's Kamui Kobayashi was also absent in the second session because of electronic control issues in his Caterham, while Max Chilton also missed most of the precious running time after going off the track after only six minutes.

my custom body album...
Old 2014.03.28, 10:41 AM   #41
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

There's been a lot of whining from RedBull about the fuel flow sensors yet again at Sepang. After the disqualification in Australia for ignoring the FIAs warnings on exceeding the fuel rate they've spent FP1 and 2 gathering data that says the fuel sensor doesn't give accurate readings (apparently a difference of 0.25% total).

The biggest problem I have with their whining is that if all the teams are having this issue with a difference in fuel rate readings then essentially all the teams are functioning at the same level...to choose to ignore the FIA and pick your own flow rate (however correct it may be) is gaining an unfair advantage over the teams choosing to follow the FIA readings.

If RedBull get their way in this dispute I'm going to seriously watch the rest of the season with the belief that the sports drink company is bullying their way to another championship. No one was fooled last year when their chassis improved by over a second after the tire spec reverted to a caliber they could really lean on (with huge success from the previous year). If they get to change the rules by complaining about it yet again it'll raise serious doubts about the "sporting" aspect of the sporting regs of F1 and believe politics drive F1 more than anything else.

Rant over.

PS: for those who try and retort "Ferrari had their way like that for years" I'll have to reply that in some cases you are correct but the FIA made Firmula changes to break that favoritism cycle and obviously it's worked. To revert back to picking a favorite team....

my custom body album...

Last edited by mleemor60; 2014.03.28 at 11:01 AM.
Old 2014.03.28, 03:11 PM   #42
kyoshosan

Hi Cowboysir,

Not sure if you saw or follow this YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI8cT...2CD3DE&index=1

Nice review on the F1 RedBull disqualification on the Australian GP. Good job Keeping up this thread

Cheers!
kyoshosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.29, 07:17 PM   #43
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

From Autosport:

Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton was delighted to make it two poles in two races after emerging unscathed from an incident-packed and rain-hit Malaysian Grand Prix qualifying at Sepang.

The Briton saw off Red Bull's quadruple Formula One world champion Sebastian Vettel by 0.055 of a second in a session with two red flags, a 50 minute rain delay and more downpours throughout that left drivers struggling for visibility.

The pole was the 33rd of Hamilton's career, equalling the British record held by the late Jim Clark since 1964, and was secured in a time of one minute 59.431 seconds.

"I'm really happy with how well we've done over the weekend, but today was incredible, how heavy was the rain?" Hamilton said.

"It was tricky out there for everyone because at the end it was almost impossible to see. I couldn't see where the track went, where the corners were, where to break.

"I had to bail out of my final fast lap, so it was very close...

The Mercedes driver moved to the top of the timesheets early on before pitting for fresh tyres, but his final run was ruined when he ran off the track after finding it tricky to see in the wet.

That meant his first run was his best lap, and he claimed that it was nowhere near as good as he could have done.

"For the first lap in Q3, we have to be a little bit more within the limit to make sure you definitely get a lap in, just in case you have something like I have happens or there is a yellow flag," said Hamilton.

"But the most important thing is to get a banker lap, maybe eke out a bit more time. But it doesn't matter. I got what I needed out of it."

Hamilton said his last run did not come together because of the visibility issues and some time lost stuck in Nico Hulkenberg's spray.

"It was very difficult to see - that was the trickiest part particularly at the end," he said.

"I was stuck behind Hulkenberg who slowed down on his lap. I thought he was coming in, and he looked like he was coming in because he went wide on the final turn, but as I got to start the lap he came across so I was stuck behind him.

"I couldn't see a thing as it was like driving through thick fog. And that was the lap that I needed and I should have had to really get pole. So I am so glad or happy that the lap I did before was good enough."

[POST QUALIFYING PRESS CONFERENCE - READ THE FULL TRANSCRIPT]

Vettel's lap was an impressive turnaround for the German, who retired in Melbourne two weeks ago, after he was called back to the pits after only three laps of the first phase of qualifying with an energy store problem.

The champion re-emerged after a reset of the system and became progressively competitive as the rain grew stronger and felt he could have taken pole had he been able to get in another lap in the final 15 minute session.

"At the beginning of Q1 (the first phase), the heartbeat was rising very quickly when we realised there was an issue," Vettel said.

"Q3 was not perfect. I would have loved to have a second go. My first attempt, I felt there was time to gain here and there.

"It was very close, too close. I should be on the good side for tomorrow but it depends on how good the start is. I'm happy with the result."

Hamilton's Mercedes team mate Nico Rosberg, winner in Australia, will start from third place with Ferrari's Fernando Alonso joining him on the second row despite an earlier collision with Russian rookie Daniil Kvyat's Toro Rosso that required hurried repairs.

Alonso was on the outside and turned into Kvyat with the incident reviewed by stewards, who opted against any penalty.

"I didn't see him coming, Obviously it was a little bit of an aggressive move on the out-lap with that sort of visibility," the double world champion Spaniard said.

my custom body album...
Old 2014.03.30, 10:34 PM   #44
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Lewis Hamilton led from start to finish in Sepang as he completed a perfect weekend at the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Hamilton cruised to victory, leading from pole to podium and enjoying a sizeable 17.3-second margin over the field.

It was his first win since Hungary last year - and, with team-mate Nico Rosberg finishing second, Mercedes secured their first one-two since 1955.

Speaking on the podium after the race, Hamilton dedicated the victory to the victims and families of the Malaysian Airlines plane which went missing three weeks ago.

Sebastian Vettel's third-place finish gave Red Bull some comfort on a disappointing afternoon for the team after Daniel Ricciardo had to withdraw three laps from the end.

Ricciardo had started very well, slotting into fourth place behind his team-mate and looking set to push him all the way, but technical problems were his undoing: a tyre was not affixed correctly following a pit stop, resulting in a ten-second stop-go penalty, and then he suffered a puncture courtesy of a broken wing.
That left Fernando Alonso clear to sneak a fourth-place finish in his Ferrari, with Nico Hulkenberg taking fifth for Force India after his team-mate Sergio Perez failed to start due to a technical problem.

Jenson Button took sixth for McLaren, and after an intriguing duel which saw Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas took seventh and eighth respectively for Williams .

The race had been preceded by a minute's silence in memory of missing plane MH370. After the race, Hamilton spoke to guest presenter Benedict Cumberbatch, star of TV's Sherlock, and told him: "After such a tragedy three weeks ago, I'd like to dedicate this to those people and their families."

My opinion:

Boring as sh!7!!!!!

my custom body album...
Old 2014.03.30, 10:58 PM   #45
TheSteve
VE7FM

Yeppers, I suspect we will see more of that this year as well.

and I still think they cars sound like crap. I want some angry sounds in my racing series. I think my real car is louder then F1 now.