Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2014.03.31, 08:52 AM   #46
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

My biggest hope was that the change in Formula would make it so we'd have some challenge at the front...getting some races for the lead instead of a team checking out is what F1 needed more than anything.

I hope other teams can catch up.

On a sidenote, very happy Massa asserted himself over his teammate near the end of race. He must've had a flash to his previous career when they asked him to move for Bottas and said "F that!" Good on ya, Massa!!!

On another sidenote, the new graphic telling us fuel consumption really burns me up...are there really race viewers of the Premier Class of Motorsport so absorbed in the new age of hybrid tech that they need to tell us that a certain racer used 94.7% of his fuel allotment for the GP?!

Let's have a little wake up call:

22cars per GP using 40kg less fuel per race over a 19 race calendar...good for them (pat on the back all around)

Transport for team, equipment and private jets for management racers etc to get to exclusive 19 race venues is the real fuel burner in F1... Don't think for a second we're falling for your b@@@, Bernie.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192

Last edited by cowboysir; 2014.03.31 at 09:05 AM.
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.04.03, 09:40 AM   #47
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

From Autosport:

Luca di Montezemolo and Bernie Ecclestone plan to meet with Jean Todt during the Bahrain GP to discuss potential changes that could improve the spectacle of Formula 1.

AUTOSPORT has learned that Ferrari boss di Montezemolo is unimpressed with the new fuel-efficiency regulations in the sport, and flew to a meeting with Ecclestone in London on Wednesday to kick-start urgent discussions about what can be done to make things better.

Sources with knowledge of the situation suggest that both men are in agreement that the first two races of the season have not produced the kind of dramatic racing that some had believed would come with the new 1.6-litre turbo engines.

Both races have been won in dominant fashion by the early race leader, and there has not been as much overtaking and strategic variety as some had hoped.

One insider suggests that di Montezemolo has labelled the current spectacle as simply an 'economy run', with drivers no longer able to push to the maximum because of the way they are restricted on fuel flow and fuel capacity.

That stances backs up comments he made in Italy last month that F1's new complicated rules had taken away some of the racing excitement.

"I don't like his sort of taxi-cab driving," he was quoted as saying by Autosprint.

"What I don't like is this complexity in the interpretation of the race, both from the drivers' and the spectators' point of view."

Di Montezemolo and Ecclestone have asked Todt for talks in Bahrain this weekend to discuss the matter, and ponder what, if anything, can be done.

They are keen for some blue-sky thinking on the situation, although are well aware that the sport must not divert from the new hybrid technology path it has taken.

However, changes to the sporting regulations - whether it be through fuel-flow meters or new ways of using the engines - could be enough to improve matters.

CONCERNS NOT NEW

Although some may view di Montezemolo's concerns about the state of F1 as a response to Ferrari's disappointing start to the campaign, insiders have revealed that the Maranello-based team has long questioned the impact the new regulations will have on the racing.

AUTOSPORT has learned that last season, Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali met with Ecclestone to discuss progress on the new regulations, and expressed worries that the spectacle could be damaged if drivers were more focused on fuel economy than driving.

The debate about the racing has come on the back of an initial focus on the sound of the new turbo engines, although Ecclestone said in Malaysia last weekend that the new power units did not sound as bad in real life as he had been expecting.

Not all teams are so concerned about the situation, though.

McLaren Group CEO Ron Dennis said at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix that he felts the rules needed a couple of races to bed down.

"I think we should give it a little bit more time to settle down before we are too critical of it," he said.

"I think there are always going to be people who have negative observations. That is inevitable."

AutoSport - Jonathan Noble - 2014-04-03, 2:49 AM

It's an interesting situation:

As a fan of F1 since the late 80's, the start to this season doesn't seem too much different to me. In my mind, I can only think of one season in the recent seasons where one team hasn't dominated the start and technologically speaking wasn't more advanced than the others.

That being said, I think the main reason this year is lacking any real drama (so far at least) isn't only about a dominant team checking out at the front but the fuel saving driving that must be done to complete a GP.

A prime example: take a look back at the qualifying and lap records for most of the long term tracks and you'll find most of them were posted in 2004-05...it's no surprise that these were in the V10-V8 crossover years and teams had refuelling and a tire war.

It's my view that F1 has progressed to a point where the spectacle is lacking because of these so called monetary savings measures.

I'll be composing my views on what I'd like to see differently...not that these ideas would ever happen but as a fan they're some things that could make a GP better.

my custom body album...
Old 2014.04.04, 09:30 AM   #48
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Some good news?(from Eurosport):

Formula One great Michael Schumacher is showing "moments of consciousness" after months in a coma and is "making progress", says his agent.

Schumacher suffered a ski accident 14 weeks ago and is in the waking up process after being placed in a medically-induced coma, with Sabine Kehm offering an encouraging update regarding his condition.

"Michael is making progress on his way," said Kehm in a statement. "He shows moments of consciousness and awakening. We are on his side during his long and difficult fight, together with the team of the hospital in Grenoble, and we keep remaining confident.

"We would like to thank you all for the continuous sympathies. At the same time we again ask for understanding that we do not intend to disclose details.

"This is necessary to protect the privacy of Michael and his family, and to enable the medical team to work in full calmness."

Schumacher remains unable to breathe on his own and is on a ventilator. Doctors began the process of gradually awakening him more than nine weeks ago.

He is receiving round-the-clock care in intensive care in Grenoble University Hospital.

Wife Corinna, 45 - with whom he has two children Gina Marie, 16, and Mick, 14 - has remained at his bedside.

Meanwhile, a family friend has insisted that the legendary driver will be moved to a rehabilitation facility, but not one at his home, as has been previously claimed.

The friend rubbished reports that his wife Corinna is spending £10 million to build a medically-equipped suite at their home in Switzerland because doctors have warned her that his chances of a full recovery are negligible.

“Michael will be moved to a rehabilitation clinic at some stage, however not at this stage,” the friend said. “We are confident Michael will wake up. Therefore why would we need to build facilities for a vegetative man at his home?

“This would imply that his case is hopeless.”

The seven-times world champion remains in intensive care in Grenoble Hospital in France, but his family remains “confident” he will wake from his coma, according to Sabine Kehm, Schumacher’s manager and agent.

She added that there was no truth in reports that Schumacher’s family were building the medical facility at their home, or indeed his father’s new apartment.

“Rumours saying that Corinna is rebuilding her house in order to take the allegedly hopeless case Michael back home are absolutely untenable,” Kehm said.

“This counts too for Rolf’s house which is being built at the Schumacher’s site.”

Eurosport - 2014-04-04, 3:10 AM

my custom body album...
Old 2014.04.04, 08:23 PM   #49
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

FP1 and 2 from Bahrain:

What else can say other than Mercedes is gonna check out at the front again? They were a full second faster than Alonso in P3 both sessions.

F-ing sucks.

I had a couple thoughts about the spectacle of F1 and how to improve it. When I have more time I'll sit and put it together here. It's not like anyone would listen to me as a fan but it'd be cool to discuss among like minded fans who think the new Formula is lacking.

my custom body album...
Old 2014.04.05, 07:15 AM   #50
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Some interesting answers from Adrian Newey that I've always held in my mind about Hybrid Tech:

Adrian Newey has made clear his dissatisfaction with the 2014 rules – and questioned the green credentials of the new technology.

The Red Bull technical director was initially asked how he compared the current cars to those of the past.

“That’s a very complicated question is the truthful answer to that,” he said. “I guess the other obvious answer to that is probably whether you have a Mercedes engine, a Ferrari engine or a Renault engine will cloud your answer to it, in truth. Such is the nature of Formula One.

“When you get into things like batteries then an electric car is only green if it gets its power from a green source. If it gets its power from a coal-fired power station, then clearly it’s not green at all. A hybrid car, which is effectively what the Formula One regulations are, then a lot of energy goes into manufacturing those batteries and into the cars, which is why they’re so expensive. And whether that then gives you a negative or a positive carbon footprint or not depends on the duty cycle of the car – how many miles does it do, is it cruising along the motorway at constant speed or stop-starting in a city.

“So this concept that a hybrid car is automatically green is a gross simplification. On top of that there are other ways, if you’re going to put that cost into a car, to make it fuel efficient. You can make it lighter, you can make it more aerodynamic, both of which are things that Formula One is good at. For instance the cars are 10 per cent heavier this year, a result, directly, of the hybrid content.

“So I think technically, to be perfectly honest, it’s slightly questionable. From a sporting point of view, to me, efficiency, strategy etc, economy of driving, is very well placed for sportscars, which is a slightly different way of going racing. Formula One should be about excitement. It should be about man and machine performing at its maximum every single lap.”

Newey said it wasn’t easy to judge why public reaction to the new rules has been negative.

“It’s a big subject and I guess ultimately the spectators and the television viewers are going to vote with their feet. The old classic [was] Coke completely turning Coke around compared to Pepsi in the States, so you can always skin these things various ways.

“I think obviously all the talk is about the engines. It’s not just about creating a formula which looks at how many litres of fuel you use per kilometre with everything else fixed, because everything else isn’t fixed in reality. If you go into the real world, cost isn’t fixed, the cost has gone up hugely to create this. As I said before, if you put that cost into weight saving, you might be better off in many cases so to automatically say that this is some huge benefit for mankind I think is taking a bit of a big leap myself.”

Newey also had some interesting comments about the relative performance of 2014 power units: “I think when we talk about the power unit we talk about it by manufacturer. We should also include the fuel company of course. I think you’ll find within an engine, depending on what fuel it uses there can be very significant differences. That can also create differences.

“We certainly can see that in our own GPS analysis between our rivals that some appear to have significantly more power than others, even though they have the same engine. At the moment I think it is an engine formula that has tended to reshape the grid more than anything else, compared to last year. How that develops as we move forward is unclear.”

my custom body album...
Old 2014.04.06, 12:09 PM   #51
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

So we've been given the answer as to what's needed to get some thrilling racing...give us a safety car and no team orders!

Besides the absolute domination of the front by Mercedes (24 sec lead even after 10 laps from the final safety car) there was very nice passing through the field.

Awesome result for Force India! Very nicely done holding off Riccardo in the last couple laps.

Something has to be done about Maldonado. What an incredible lack of forethought and sending Gutierrez into a flipping twisting spin/crash.

Overall I enjoyed it. I hope to see some power improvement for Ferrari and some better luck for Williams.

my custom body album...
Old 2014.04.06, 12:32 PM   #52
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

SkysportF1:

After a build-up to the race dominated by debates and arguments in the paddock by some of F1's most influential figures over the sport's controversial new era of quieter engines and fuel efficiency, the thrilling action served up over the course over the 57 laps of racing around a floodlit Sakhir provided the first contrary evidence suggesting perhaps not too much is wrong with the sport's 'rules reset' after all.

On Sky Sports

F1 Midweek Report
9th April
April 9, 2014 8:30pm

Get a Sky Sports Day PassUpgrade to Sky Sports
In a race characterised by wheel-to-wheel duels between team-mates, Hamilton seized the lead from polesitter Rosberg into the first corner and then just about held on to the chequered flag despite several periods of concerted pressure from the sister Mercedes.

Despite the close nature of their combat, first on laps 17-18 when Rosberg twice briefly retook the lead only for Hamilton to swipe back in front and then late on after a Safety Car had wiped out Hamilton's mid-race advantage, the two W05s just about kept stayed clear of contact and Hamilton eventually took the chequered flag by exactly one second to secure his first consecutive wins since 2010.

Rosberg, with two second places since his season-opening victory in Melbourne, still holds the championship lead, but Hamilton has closed the deficit to 11 points and, with two victories over his team-mate inside a week, perhaps gained the early psychological edge in what is currently an exclusive battle for honours at the front of the field.

Rosberg edged ahead on several occasions - but couldn't hold on
But while the two Mercedes drivers, as expected, were in a race of their own, the action behind was equally as thrilling as several other pairs of team-mates probably caused their respective pitwalls no end of angst.

That was certainly the case at Force India as Sergio Perez and Nico Hulkenberg, recovering from his Q2 exit on Saturday, waged their own duel for much of the race for third place. The scrap was eventually won by Perez as the Mexican, after a near anonymous start to 2014, secured just Force India's second podium finish - and their first since 2009.

Hulkenberg eventually finished two places behind his team-mate in fifth after he was overtaken by Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo late on, the Australian making up for a succession of disappointments at the start of the season to finally officially register his first points for the World Champions with fourth.

Not only did the Australian recover from his 13th-place grid position, he overtook quadruple World Champion team-mate Sebastian Vettel for the position late on, the German complaining over the radio of a lack of straight-line speed from his RB10.

The Williams pair had, for much of the race, run higher up the order - largely thanks to a storming start from Felipe Massa while vaulted the Brazilian behind the Mercedes pair into Turn One.

A delighted Sergio Perez won the 'race' behind the Mercedes'
But with the FW36 experiencing higher tyre wear to the cars ahead which necessitated that both drivers stopped three times, Massa and Valtteri Bottas eventually came home in seventh and eighth respectively.

As in Malaysia, the pair finished less than a second apart, but after the team orders row of seven days ago, Williams appeared to wisely let their drivers race to the chequered flag this time.

Completing the near-'Noah's Ark' nature of the top ten, Ferrari pair Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen came home ninth and tenth respectively. On the day the team's President Luca di Montezemolo arrived in the paddock to air his grievances over the sport's new era, the result provided more depressing evidence for the Scuderia that its a formula they are a long way from mastering.

my custom body album...
Old 2014.04.06, 01:06 PM   #53
TheSteve
VE7FM

Some seriously intense battles today. Nico may be leading in the drivers points race but I see Lewis overtaking him in the coming races.

And that was one heck of a scary crash, If Gutierrez is ok for the next race it shows just how protected the drivers are.
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.04.08, 08:06 PM   #54
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I was happy to find out there will 4x2 day tests during the season:

Mercedes continued its dominance of Formula 1 in Bahrain, as Nico Rosberg set the pace on the first of two days of post-race testing at the Sakhir circuit.

The German, who finished runner-up to team-mate Lewis Hamilton in Sunday's race, posted a best time of 1m35.667s to finish on the top of the times.

Rosberg was also the busiest man on track with 121 laps completed.

The Mercedes driver's best lap was over 2.5 seconds slower than his pole position time for last weekend's race. He was also the only man to break the 1m36s barrier.

Nico Hulkenberg put the Mercedes-powered Force India in second place, finishing nearly four tenths of a second behind his compatriot.

Fernando Alonso was third quickest and the first man in a non-Mercedes-powered car. The Ferrari driver managed 67 laps on his first day of work and finished nearly a second off Rosberg's pace.

McLaren's Kevin Magnussen finished fourth and was the only other driver to complete over 100 laps during the day.

Valtteri Bottas rounded up the top five for Williams. The Finn covered only 28 laps, but the team said it had completed its programme successfully.

"The results were very positive and we collected a lot of good data, which is good news. Valtteri also did a good job for us today," said head of vehicle performance Rob Smedley.

Bahrain F1 test gallery

World champion Red Bull finished down in seventh position with Daniel Ricciardo at the wheel, the Australian managing 91 laps and finishing behind the Marussia of Max Chilton.

Sauber's Sergey Sirotkin was the quickest of the non-race drivers in eighth, outpacing fellow tester Robin Frijns in the Caterham, which today was the team in charge of carrying out testing duties for Pirelli.

Frijns' day, however, came to an early finish after he was hit by a hydraulic system leak that the team could not fix in time to return to the track.

"There's not much I can say about the tyres we were running today as they're obviously development sets and because it was a Pirelli test today we weren't aware of what compounds we were running," said Frijns.

Lotus had another difficult day of testing, with Pastor Maldonado managing just 16 laps due to power unit-related issues.

"Of course, this is frustrating for everyone involved, but our focus is now very much on getting the most we can out of tomorrow," said Lotus's trackside operations director Alan Permane.

Toro Rosso's Daniil Kvyat was slowest but still labelled it a productive day for the team.

AutoSport - 2014-04-08,

my custom body album...
Old 2014.04.15, 08:14 AM   #55
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Gene Haas to enter F1:

Gene Haas has spoken at length about his F1 plans for the first time since the FIA granted him an entry.

Haas was accompanied at a press conference by Guenther Steiner, who will be team principal of the Haas Formula organisation.

Haas explained that the driving force behind the team was to promote his machine tool business worldwide, with a view to doubling sales. However he also said that the plan is for the team to become a “profitable enterprise” in five years.

Intriguingly the conference created as many questions as it answered, with Haas admitting that he doesn’t yet know if the team will make its debut in 2015 or 2016. He said a final decision would be made in four weeks.

“I would like to do 2015, simply because the first year is going to be a difficult year no matter what happens,” said Haas. “It’s a very big challenge and part of that learning curve is just simply getting to the track and sorting out the logistics of going from race to race, and the sooner we learn that, the sooner we’ll be done with that.

“It’s one of those things that we’re going to find out in the next few weeks, and hopefully in the next four weeks we should have an idea which year we’re going to pursue.”

Later he said: “2015 is too close, 2016 is too far.”

What he did make clear was that as expected he will rely heavily on a technical partner. However, he insisted that there was still a choice to be made between Ferrari and Mercedes, despite the Italian team being the clear favourite since news of the Haas entry bid first emerged. Intriguingly one source told this blog that Toto Wolff has already declined a request for technical support from Haas.

“It’s going to take us a while to learn, and we’re going to lean heavily on our technical partner to help us,” he said.

Rule changes that relax the restrictions on sharing of technology mean that from 2015 Haas could buy virtually everything it needs from an existing team – and in essence would only need to own the IP of its chassis and bodywork. Haas even used the phrase “customer car” at one point.

He also admitted that there was a good chance that Dallara would be in the mix as the supplier of the chassis, a job it did for HRT in 2010.

He also confirmed that a “campus” in Kannapolis would be the main base for the F1 team, alongside the NASCAR operation, but there would also be a facility in Europe.

“Ideally the main office will be here in Kannapolis. There may be a smaller office in Italy or Germany for assembly and disassembly of cars. It will depend upon who our technology partner ultimately is. That would be the logistics we would use. Nothing is cast in stone yet, we’re going to be flexible at it, we’re going to do what it takes, and we’re going to be efficient at it.”

He said that his Windshear wind tunnel was one of his biggest assets, but admitted it would have to be converted to run scale models given FIA restrictions on full size running.

Regarding drivers he said: “Ideally what we would like is to have an experienced F1 driver, probably someone who is familiar with the current engine package rules. Then going forward we would certainly like to have a young American driver, that would be the ideal situation. At the moment we haven’t really narrowed it down. We’ve had quite a few people talk to us.”

On the subject pf potential designers, Steiner said: “We’re in contact with people, but also we just got the license last week, and until you’ve got the license you can’t emply anybody and nobody would come and work for you if they don’t know if you’ve got a license in the future.

my custom body album...
Old 2014.04.15, 08:18 AM   #56
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Stefano Dominicalli to step down as Ferrari F1 manager:

Stefano Domenicali has resigned as team principal of Ferrari in the wake of the disappointing start to the team’s 2014 season.

He will be replaced by high flying Ferrari road car executive Marco Mattiacci, who will be in China next weekend.

Ferrari said: “On receiving Stefano Domenicali’s resignation, Ferrari thanks him for the dedication he brought to his service to the company, in positions of ever increasing responsibility over the past 23 years. It offers Stefano Domenicali its most sincere best wishes for the future.”

Mattiacci worked at Jaguar/Ford before joining Ferrari in 1999. He quickly rose up the ranks to become President and CEO of Ferrari Asia Pacific in June 2006, before taking the same role at Ferrari North America in May 2010. He is clearly highly regarded within the Ferrari camp.

Domenicali’s decision came after discussions with Luca di Montezemolo, who recently extended his own contract as Ferrari president for another three years.

Montezemolo said in a statement: “I thank Stefano Domenicali not only for his ongoing contribution and commitment, but for the great sense of responsibility that has demonstrated today by putting the interest of the Ferrari ahead of his own.”

The 48-year-old Domenicali joined the company in 1991 on the administration side. He became F1 team manager in 1997 and later had the title of sporting director, before he followed Jean Todt into the team principal role.

Domenicali’s future is not year clear, although he is highly respected in the motor sport world and would have little trouble finding a new role. He has been linked with Audi in the past.

my custom body album...
Old 2014.04.15, 08:21 AM   #57
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

And the best F1 news of all:

The FIA Court of Appeal has rejected the Red Bull Formula 1 team's appeal against Daniel Ricciardo's disqualification from the Australian Grand Prix.

The Australian's car was found to have "consistently" exceeded the maximum permitted fuel-flow rate of 100kg/h but despite Red Bull arguing during Monday's hearing that this was not the case, the exclusion stands.

A five-man judging panel comprising Harry Duijm, Rui Botica Santos, Philippe Narmino, Antonio Rigozzi and Jan Stovicek made the decision based on yesterday's six-hour hearing in the FIA's Paris headquarters and extensive written testimony.

"The Court, after having heard the parties and examined their submissions, decided to uphold the Decision #56 of the Stewards by which they decided to exclude Infiniti Red Bull Racing's car #3 from the results of the 2014 Australian Grand Prix," said an FIA statement.

my custom body album...
Old 2014.04.15, 11:38 AM   #58
TheSteve
VE7FM

And the million dollar question - will Brawn end up at Ferrari again? I think he should stick with retirement as hoisting Ferrari up to a world championship is going to be extremely difficult.
Old 2014.04.15, 01:34 PM   #59
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

The guy who replaces Dominicalli at Ferrari (name escapes me ATM) was the CEO of Ferrari sales Asia...

Even worse is he has no F1 experience.

my custom body album...
Old 2014.04.15, 01:40 PM   #60
TheSteve
VE7FM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
The guy who replaces Dominicalli at Ferrari (name escapes me ATM) was the CEO of Ferrari sales Asia...

Even worse is he has no F1 experience.
Exactly, which makes me wonder if they have something else in mind and just needed a place holder.