Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.12.09, 09:40 AM   #1
sake138

Brushless options

I want to get a brushless car going. I was looking at the evo but it looks like the rx is designed specifically for the evo and I run spektrum currently. What are other running for brushless. I looked into atomic, guess no one sells them in the US. Also gl racing. Are there others?
sake138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.09, 11:09 AM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
If you like the mini-z platform, and race with a group that uses AAA batteries, you can use the PN 2.5 chassis, and install aftermarket electronics; ESC, RX of choice, and servo controller. These are all available on kenon or bangood for rx.

I have the GLR, GLA, BZ, AMZ... the 2wd is a little light, hard to make traction. The awd platforms each have their merits. I havea mine equipped with 3500kv motors because the tracks that I race are pretty small.
Old 2018.12.09, 01:37 PM   #3
SuperFly
bitPimp

I have two, soon to be three brushless cars. The first one I got was an MR03VE Pro GP limited chassis that came set up at 98mm with an LM R246 motor mount, ball diff, disk damper and oil spring. I saw that chassis come up on eBay, so I bought another one. This one I turned into a 102mm Porsche 962. Swapped the motor for the PN 5500kv (which I really like), had to get different disk damper, and currently waiting for a part so I can add the oil spring back, though it runs just fine without it.

The third, I'm building from scratch. I ordered a board from Banggood, and a PN chassis, all the steering guts, motor pod, etc. I want to try out the double a-arm, and they're out of stock, so waiting till the new year to finish it up.

The Spektrum compatible board PN offers is DSM2 and brushed, so not sure what the best (or even possible) way of getting a Spektrum brushless car going.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.09, 01:40 PM   #4
sake138

I was about to order the pn spektrum board for my brushed but now I’m debating getting a different tx now. Going to price it out to see if switching is worth it
Old 2018.12.09, 02:20 PM   #5
EMU
EMUracing

My personal opinion, would recommend not investing into Spektrum for this scale. The technology is a bit behind, and I dont see that many options for it coming out.

I have a Sanwa TX for 1/10, and use it with micro receivers for my aftermarket 1/28 builds. The RX are pretty affordable, and you dont really need to get the top of the line radio to get good use out of them. I have the MT-44, but would say that an MT-S would perform similarly at this scale. I had seen some radios used on Ebay selling under $100.

Sanwa is reported to be releasing their own RX for the Evo, I had asked Kyosho about that when I didnt see it come up on the Kyosho site. I have toyed with the idea of getting a KT-432PT radio to cheaply acquire some brushed cars and race them, as well as use with the Evo... but I am not going to jump on anything yet. I would like to avoid buying into another proprietary radio. The signal on the FHSS is so much cleaner and faster than that of the ASF or Spektrum that I have used. Although, the Sanwa does feel almost instantaneous in response, it is hard to compare to the Kyosho response of the KT-531, which moving up from ASF is a huge increase in response in itself.

If you can get a cheap RX, ESC and servo controller, and build the car on the PN chassis... its a good option. If you plan to race modified only, a GL or Atomic car with lipo is also an effective affordable option which is actually cheaper to build than a modded Mini-Z platform.
Old 2018.12.09, 02:35 PM   #6
sake138

Sanwa has been a radio I’ve wanted to switch to for a while. How would I go about running it in brushed cars? I have a pn2.5 on the way. I know a digital servo board. What do you use for an esc. Do you have to have a voltage regulator?
Old 2018.12.09, 04:03 PM   #7
EMU
EMUracing

If you are using AAA NIMH batteries, then you wouldnt need BEC. I think that I had used an old Associated 180 ESC for my MRCG years ago and it was pretty effective. I honestly wouldnt even know where to look for a brushed ESC these days, and might even consider EVO electronics which cost around $75 for the ESC/servo controller, and give you brushed/brushless options if you run on AAA. I would be nervous to test the ESC on lipo myself, because I dont have the funds to buy and replace electronics.

If you plan to run 7v+, then you want a BEC of 5v, and skip brushed entirely.
Old 2018.12.09, 06:38 PM   #8
sake138

Well I plan on running my brushes on a new radio. Just sold my spektrum. So either sanwa or futaba I think
Old 2018.12.09, 07:15 PM   #9
EMU
EMUracing

Sanwa seems to be producing the receiver on their own according to Kyosho, so no idea of ETA yet. It might be later than alternative options, and no idea on pricing. I am holding off on getting an EVO until I see Sanwa availability, or ASF affordably priced. I dont want to invest in ASF any longer, due to its slower response, so am not willing to pay top dollar to continue compatibility.
Old 2018.12.09, 07:26 PM   #10
sake138

Futaba might be out of the question if it’s only compatible with t7px. I don’t want to drop that much on a radio.
Old 2018.12.09, 08:31 PM   #11
EMU
EMUracing

That's not concern with sanwa as well, the early information posted only stated the m17. If they are limiting compatibility to only the newest radios, evo sales will not be looking good
Old 2018.12.09, 08:32 PM   #12
sake138

Yea that’s not good if that is the case
Old 2018.12.10, 12:00 AM   #13
bobbyz

Futaba is releasing the T4PM 1st qtr 2019, so hopefully a more affordable and compatible radio to use with the Futaba receiver for the new Evo. I don't think pricing or spec are out yet for this radio. Hopefully a good mid level radio option though.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.12.10, 12:28 AM   #14
sake138

At this point it seems to make more sense to just buy a radio and build a brushless set up.
Old 2018.12.10, 12:39 AM   #15
EMU
EMUracing

Thanks for the info Bobby. Im already carrying two radios when I want to race modified classes... hopefully this can get sorted soon as more information is revealed about radio compatibility and receivers.