Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > General Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion

View Poll Results: How much interest in a well built $270 chassis (1:28)
None I have no need or desire to buy one. 5 20.00%
A little interest, but I will wait and buy one used for less. 7 28.00%
A lot of interest, but I will wait for official release to purchase. 9 36.00%
A lot of interest, waiting for Dracs lazy ass to accept pre-orders, I want to buy now! 0 0%
Lots and lots of interest, I am willing to order even a prototype to get one sooner! 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006.05.24, 07:30 PM   #1
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
Interest Level of my AWD chassis I keep rambling about.

I am curious what the interest level would be for my chassis, I was about to open my Pre-Order page too accept orders for the kits and even some prototype test kits, but I still have a few parts to find reliable sources for... and I still need to make the prototype. I am confident the design will work now... but I still have fears about the durrability, cost, and handling... a great deal of it will be metal parts as apose to plastic, so it should be strong enough, but theres always unseen issues... and it is so dang adjustable everything can be adjusted so it should have more than one way to set it up to run great... the cost worries me, its all home made, and I am not a big company, I am not making a million chassis, possibly only the first 500... hopefuly more... so I have to charge more... but it is sort of a "designer chassis" in some ways, so maybe it will be worth the extra cash... and when you addup all the hop ups on a Mini-Z or Xmod, the costs start to even out, but mine will still cost more... I believe I will have to charge about $270 for the kit.. this is JUST the car, no body, transmitter, no reciever, no esc... I will likly include a custom set of rims and possibly tires, or maybe even a motor, depending on what it costs me... and I might even get a bulk deal on RXs, Servos, and ESCs and wind up selling elecronic kits as well. BTW, I post here because it will more than likely be sold through the shop here...

For the chassis features see my AWD page link in Signature. And for the only image that is public for now, see my Avatar image... its tiny and does not reveal much so I left it public... I will release more images later, its already changed a few parts since that image was made anyway...

So the poll question on this thead is how much interest would you have if the kit alone, the rolling chassis, was $270?

Remember this includes 2 ball differentials, a lot of metal parts / alloy equivelent etc...

I am still pondering a name for the chassis, although I do think I have one that is perfect for it, checking for any conflicts of interest on the name right now... I unofficialy have a name contest going, that will have an undetermined prize if some one manages to come up with a name I like more than what I am pondering.
Old 2006.05.24, 07:54 PM   #2
traxxasman215
Overland Freak

Send a message via AIM to traxxasman215 Send a message via MSN to traxxasman215
I voted for "A little interest, but I will wait and buy one used for less." but I am insterested in a chassis if only the price was lower. This is a custom chassis, I understand that. But it is way over the head for me, but I want to see this thing built and run.
Old 2006.05.24, 08:04 PM   #3
tzero
Team Nomadio 007

Send a message via AIM to tzero Send a message via Yahoo to tzero
Hey Drac mabey you could set up an electronics deal with Nimble Motorsports.
I voted I am willing to purchase a prototype. (Sorry I couldnt figure out some gears.) And if you need any other CAD work just let me know or drop an email to my dad at james@nd-laser.com
Old 2006.05.24, 09:20 PM   #4
Draconious

I am REALLLY hopeing that I find a source for cheap parts, or that the molded parts arent going to cost as much as I fear... then I can reduce the cost... luckily I am using overstocked bearing sizes so they are cheap thus why the kit comes with bearings... another reason it costs more than a stock Z... etc...

AWD $160 +/-
Bearings $20
Diff $20
Alloy Parts $30

$230... and it comes with elecs and body tx etc (although cheap ones)...

Mine will be $250-$270 for the kit, and you will need to aquire the esc and stuff... but you get to choose beter 75mhz stuff if desired...

This chassis is designed to be Dial-able instead of "buy more parts to make it handle" ... so for those that love to dial a car in.. this is the chassis .
Old 2006.05.24, 09:46 PM   #5
SuperFly
bitPimp

I would choose "very interested, but would barely consider half that much if it's just a raw chassis."

I mean, it's a cool design, but $270 just for the skeleton chassis? Waaay too much.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.05.25, 03:36 PM   #6
neweraz84

I took a look at your link, and it has great specifications, but what happened to the picture?
neweraz84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.05.25, 05:14 PM   #7
Draconious

Images are not yet released...

Slight possibility I can reduce cost.. so what if that 270 was with esc rx motor and servo? (no tx, no body yet)
Old 2006.05.25, 09:09 PM   #8
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious
Images are not yet released...

Slight possibility I can reduce cost.. so what if that 270 was with esc rx motor and servo? (no tx, no body yet)
Maybe. I guess I would consider $270 if I could put 4 AAA batteries and a crystal in there and drive it. Anyone who would buy one will already have their own TX, and if you just included an adapter kit for Autoscale bodies, you wouldn't need to include a body. Wheels would only be necessary if your chassis required something different than normal.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
Old 2006.05.25, 09:18 PM   #9
tzero
Team Nomadio 007

$270 with ESC, Motor, and Servo sounds really good.
Old 2006.05.25, 09:53 PM   #10
Draconious

Adapter kit for autoscales? please read the features list... the whole point is autoscales fit right on it.. no kits. both overland and racer...

one of the reasons it costs more, is I was aiming for better quality parts... I can always go economy and source stuff from china... wich I would rather not do... for example I could use cheap aluminum screws like the ones that come with the mini-z... or I could use the stainless steel socket heads that I plan to include in the kit ... or cheap chrome ball bearings or I could include the stainless steel ones... or I could just not include the bearings and let the buyer fend for them self, it would only save 13$ tho.. and the chassis will NOT function with out roller-ball bearings... or the parts would squeeze it locked tite... and it would not roll .

i just knocked a few more bucks off sourceing some parts that exist, and making them my self... going to be a pain in the ass, soldering 2 parts together 8 times per kit, in 500 to 1000 kits, but oh well LOL...

I may also charge a few bucks to assemble the kits... because I plan on selling them in parts, thus its why its a kit...

Right now I may need laser cut parts --- before I did not, but I found a better way to fit the parts on... I have a few very small 1mm alum plates that need to be cut, then a few holes in one of them that need counter sinks...

This is a very complex chassis it would easily be worth as much as a large scale RC... it IS worth $270... but I am still trying to scrounge up parts...

I am estimating my first prototype to cost me about $800...

Man I keep thinking of features I did not list on the features page...
I gota add that the shocks are oil filled... although that might not happen.. depend weather or not my design leaks or not, if it does some thread lock in the area it leaks might keep it from leaking I dont think it will leak tho...

The kits that will be sold seperatly will be:
Electronics Kit (the esc servo etc)
Lengthening kit A and B - replaces a few key parts, easy made parts, that make the chassis longer... the chassis technicaly is an infinate length.. depending on these parts one of these kits will give it overland and monster 120mm wheel base ability and the other will give it upto 150 or 160mm incase some one wants to make an anarexic 1:18 chassis out of this thing.
Monster Kit - a body mount for raising overland bodies or monster bodies.
Width Kit - longer A arms... for the monster and 1:18 scale bodies...
Lexan Body Kit... just body posts.. i have yet to design these.. should be easy and adjustable... I might find another car to copy the possitions of so ppl can use the bodies form that with out making more holes... maybe the cup cars?

The MR01 rims, Mr02 rims overland rims, monster rims, all fit with out adding a kit... its a universal hub that fits everythying.. even the xmod rims.. you adjust the chassis width to change the wide so a narrow set of rims could fit on a wide body... so you can use any offset with any body provided it only gets wider not narrower... the default rims that come with the chassis hav a negative 2.5mm offset in the rear allowing the wides on say the vitz.. or the old skylines or any of the narrow bodies...

There is lots of crap on this thing that is why it took so long to get it to work... it comes apart and you mix the parts around and make it into the other chassis, you can move the motor forward and back lots of stuff... its like a lego set of parts...

I am going to call it the " MiX "...
So when you change the settings on the car.. you would set it to the "Racer MiX" -- or the "Truck Mix" -- or the "Monster MiX"... -- or the "18MiX".

I originaly tried to give it a lot of ground clearance even when in the racer mode... but I sacrified a few millimeters in favor of a larger ball diff gear... so it was stronger...

The body mounts that hold on the autoscales can totaly be removed... so can the battery bay... so you can mount components to it however you want.. and then adapt the Lexan body kit...
Old 2006.05.25, 10:08 PM   #11
tzero
Team Nomadio 007

Well just shoot me an email whenever you need parts cut. lol
Old 2006.05.25, 10:16 PM   #12
SuperFly
bitPimp

I should add, please don't mistake me saying that $270 is too expensive meaning the same thing as it's not worth it. I'm sure it's worth it, but one of the things that attracted me to this scale (in addition to being indoor-able) was the cost.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
Old 2006.05.25, 10:31 PM   #13
Draconious

Well just won a reciever for the prototype on ebay for 16$ shipped... I prolly coulda got it for 10$, but its supose to be $30-$50... I plan on having the shop here source the recievers and sell them... since he can sell themf or the 1:18 shop too... I will likly just ship the boxed kits to him to stock as well .

GWS Pico 4 channel 75mhz...

Also should add:
All Wheel Steering Kit
Dual Motor mount kit
Gear Reduction Kit -- kinda like the Overland/monster gear box...
These are all silly addons tho lol so they will come last.
Old 2006.05.25, 11:05 PM   #14
Draconious

Would yall object too much if you had to do this to your nose plate to mount an autoscale? I tried to avoid it, but the diff needed to be larger DIA...

see image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NoseTrim.jpg (15.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 2006.05.26, 04:03 PM   #15
tzero
Team Nomadio 007

It dont matter to me if I had to hack away some stuff. lol