Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Events

Old 2017.02.21, 09:03 AM   #16
RCPMini-z
rcptracks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
I personally like a bright colored inside turn rail. The red works well, as does yellow. It allows you to spot the apex easily without looking for it directly. I fear that a black inside turn rail may hide itself in the peripheral vision.

Any chance on also giving the side rails a smoother textured surface, so the cars are less prone to stopping as they graze the rail, and wont chunk apart as much after many cars hitting the rail. We resorted to putting duct tape on some of the rails for the cars to glance off rather than stop and get slammed by the cars behind.
At one time there where RCP rail liners for this purpose. Could be used for the short or large radius turns. A portion of the rail liner extended into the straight rail before the turn. You could place banners behind the liners and they would be protected by the plastic. The liners could be painted red and white checkered board on the turn section. See attached picture. I can request they be brought back "in stock" in next container load to the USA.

There are some members that created banners for the rail liners. See link below for some banners you can download made by members here.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19303

direct link to site
http://www.mini-az.com/downloadslogos.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCP Rail Liner.jpg (67.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by RCPMini-z; 2017.02.21 at 10:03 AM.
RCPMini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.02.21, 09:12 AM   #17
Traveler
of both Time and Space

No offense, but we tried these at my LHS years ago and they were not a hit. As I recall, the biggest issue was marshals stepping on rails to avoid stepping on the track during a race, forgetting the liners were there, and cracking them. Sounded like they'd stepped on a car.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.02.21, 10:01 AM   #18
RCPMini-z
rcptracks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
No offense, but we tried these at my LHS years ago and they were not a hit. As I recall, the biggest issue was marshals stepping on rails to avoid stepping on the track during a race, forgetting the liners were there, and cracking them. Sounded like they'd stepped on a car.
Well, tell them not to step on them. Are you sure they were the same liners? If I can recall the RCP liners would not break if stepped on. They were soft plastic that would bend, not break. I will get some samples and test.
Old 2017.02.21, 10:12 AM   #19
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPMini-z View Post
Well, tell them not to step on them. Are you sure they were the same liners? If I can recall the RCP liners would not break if stepped on. They were soft plastic that would bend, not break. I will get some samples and test.
Can't say for sure if they were RCP brand. mleemor60 purchased and installed them. He may be able to chime in here.
Old 2017.02.21, 11:46 AM   #20
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Hate to pile on but that is a user issue If you had marshal's stepping on cars, you'd make sure it stopped. No different than rail liners really, or shouldn't be. It all cost some one money and if I were paying for them and people kept stepping on them and breaking them I'd quickly have a drivers meeting to correct the issue, possibly even resulting in infractions paying for damages which would certainly bring a quick end to the problem. Mistakes happen but simply no excuse for continued damaging of the track by anyone responsible enough to race around the track.

I had some of the rail liners at one point but never used them as I don't recall them being permitted in HFAY? If they are, I may have to dig around to find them if possible.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.02.21, 11:56 AM   #21
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

The original set of RCP rail liners worked pretty well and could stand being stepped on. The biggest issue with them came when somebody bounced off and back into traffic it created a 7-10 split with the rest of the field. Some of our faster drivers didn't like them and they mysteriously disappeared. The ones I purchased to protect the rapidly deteriorating corner pieces were something that came with the Losi RCP tracks and they weren't worth the shipping. The paper they were wrapped in had more tensile strength. We wound up going three or four layers deep with wide packing tape just to contain the shrapnel. They were nicely colored though in alternating red and white. When we were using the bridge I fabricated some more out of vinyl fence rails. It was the strongest but we were still bothered by the moving wreck when somebody bounced off. They were good for the rookies but the big guns hated them.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.02.21, 12:45 PM   #22
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Thanks for the reminder Mike. I knew there were some other issues...

From my standpoint, I'd like to see the inside of the rails be more durable than regular RCP rails, and like Emu, with a smoother surface that cars wouldn't stick to, but maybe not as slick to send cars careening across multiple lanes of traffic, like the liners did. I know this is asking a lot, but as I understand it, you are asking for feedback and a wish list, so this would be mine:

Light gray tiles
Durable rails with green tops and high visibility less sticky sides
High visibility inside turn rails

Thanks again for seeking ideas...
Old 2017.02.21, 01:05 PM   #23
RCPMini-z
rcptracks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
The original set of RCP rail liners worked pretty well and could stand being stepped on. The biggest issue with them came when somebody bounced off and back into traffic it created a 7-10 split with the rest of the field. Some of our faster drivers didn't like them and they mysteriously disappeared. The ones I purchased to protect the rapidly deteriorating corner pieces were something that came with the Losi RCP tracks and they weren't worth the shipping. The paper they were wrapped in had more tensile strength. We wound up going three or four layers deep with wide packing tape just to contain the shrapnel. They were nicely colored though in alternating red and white. When we were using the bridge I fabricated some more out of vinyl fence rails. It was the strongest but we were still bothered by the moving wreck when somebody bounced off. They were good for the rookies but the big guns hated them.
I would think the bounce back affect would be worse with foam rails as opposed to the rail liners. The bounce back on foam rails sends the car back into the car/cars behind at an abrupt stop. I would think glancing off the rail liners, while still going forward, would create less pile up activity. Cars glancing would be following the motion of going forward in my opinion and create less problems then the cars stopping suddenly and bouncing back into traffic. Your thoughts and comments are welcome.
Old 2017.02.21, 01:30 PM   #24
Traveler
of both Time and Space

I would have thought that too, but I have witnessed and can attest to what mleemor66 described.

With standard rails, cars tend to slow/stop/or even wedge under when making contact, and don't often bounce back into traffic. A good driver approaching will usually be able to avoid a wreck. With the liners, a car can glance off the wall and sideswipe, t-bone or be t-boned by oncoming traffic, and even a good driver would have more difficulty avoiding a wreck.

Seems counter intuitive, but that's what I recall, which is why the better drivers didn't care for the liners and they "disappeared" as he mentioned.
Old 2017.02.21, 03:26 PM   #25
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
The liners caused too much bounce back as described above. Would be more interested in a smooth surface on the RCP rail, that the cars dont get sucked into. Taping the rail with duct tape gave a good reaction to the car where it wouldnt bounce out to the middle of the track much, but wouldnt stop in place if you grazed the rail.

Over time, the rails degrade and start to rip apart. Especially the inside tight radius turn rails. At this time, you are basically only hitting the plastic pin that holds the rail in place.

This is just food for thought... I just know in tight sections, the cars getting sucked into the rails and caused major pile ups. Not looking to make RCP into a slot car track where you can ride the rails, but would be interested in a little more slide rather than a catch and stop effect.

The issue with the glancing rail liners stems from tight layout tracks, where if you glance too hard, you are pushed out into an area of track that would be on the line for the next corner. The guys that posted above tend to run tight layouts, on very high speed triple wide layouts, the issue is much less noticed in comparison.

I have raced on tracks with standard RCP rails, RCP rail liners, wooden barriers, foam insulation screwed through the track, RCP rails with velcro holding them in place on carpet with duct tape on the inside turn edges to prevent them from catching seemed to be the best effect of lower damage to the cars, and least disruption to the race.

If you could apply the texture shown above to the sides of the rails, it could work out well on all accords. It shouldnt allow cars to glance off the rail in such a manner that the wooden barriers or rail liners do, but should prevent them from stopping harshly on the racing line in front of other cars. Basically somewhere in between.

I only suggest this because you are looking to revamp the tracks.
Old 2017.02.22, 05:10 AM   #26
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Good points EMU!