Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2012.12.10, 10:19 AM   #1
imxlr8ed

Cool Useful Idiot Design

I would like to introduce my new parts shop! Useful Idiot Design!

Many of you on here know me already and some of you have even run parts I've made in the past via different manufacturing techniques. I'm in this more for the fun than anything else, but I just needed to get some ideas out there and this seems like a real direct and easy way to get it done.

A full coverage F1 bumper is the first part design in my shop, this design has not been tested as of yet, but I will have my reviews and testing done soon. (I recommend you hold off buying until I get them tested) I am posting now only to start to get the word out a while.

My goal with this current design is to be able to use the existing stock front wings and still get excellent protection and increased deflection from collisions. All this while maintaining a lightweight design.

This current F1 bumper design will not work with the newest style front wings, but I will have a 2nd version added to my shop very soon.

Here's my shop, it's still in it's infancy but I'm hoping it grows up nicely:

* http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID *

I'm really looking forward to getting my next project into my shop, just waiting on those prototypes as well (and some intensive crash testing results ).

Also planning to take some design requests in the future too, I'm sure others have ideas for something special they may want built also!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)

Last edited by imxlr8ed; 2013.02.17 at 06:51 AM.
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.10, 11:40 AM   #2
leonabi76

Congratulations on your new endeavor! Good luck with all you do and I look forward to viewing what you'll have to offer in the future.
leonabi76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.10, 12:53 PM   #3
Racer-HH

First impression after seeing the pics: very interesting.

If you are looking for another tester, especially for v2, feel free to contact me.
Old 2012.12.10, 02:16 PM   #4
NoBrainer

That looked really nice.
Old 2012.12.10, 02:51 PM   #5
imxlr8ed

There's a bit more to it that you may not totally be able to see (unless the spinny type part viewer is working for you)... I just have the one pic up on there so far, I'll try to include more there sometime this week. I'm really hoping to finally recieve the first prototypes so I can just post pics of the actual part bolted onto the chassis.

This part was built out of years of frustration with the stock bumpers, I tried to beef it up in every possible place I can remember them cracking. I just hope the material performs to my expectations. I've had this material in my hands before and it seems like it will do the job well. But after years of design experience in the aerospace industry, one thing I've learned is that overall design configuration can have much to do with material performance. Until I have it in my own grubby little hands to bash it around and give it a good old-fashioned beating, I won't feel confident selling it.

I'm really hoping that my next part has racers saying, "Why didn't they just do that in the first place?!?"

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)

Last edited by imxlr8ed; 2012.12.10 at 02:55 PM.
Old 2012.12.10, 04:53 PM   #6
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

Bumper looks great!
Good luck with the shop. Will make sure to check in

Mini-Z Norway
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.10, 06:16 PM   #7
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Nice name buddy! Im your permenent tester... Looks good.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.10, 07:24 PM   #8
imxlr8ed

Wasn't too sure of the name at first, fits though. Simple common sense is my only saviour when it comes to my career. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but if you add enough pressure I will get the job done.

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2012.12.10, 07:44 PM   #9
Golddust
The Tottenville Terror

Good Luck Dude!
You'll be hearing from Team Golddust when you get that finalized

HACKSTREET BOYS
Golddust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.10, 10:10 PM   #10
herman

pretty cool design... price indicates 15.46 euro? hmm...
was thinking that you could extend the edges a bit, so that upon impact, the extensions could take up the deflection and dissipate forces before it actually hits any part of the wing... how far you extend, will be up to actual field/track testing...

good luck... really wanting to see this part made...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.11, 01:31 AM   #11
color01

Most importantly, watch the material you're making this stuff out of. If it's porous, you're going to have to tell your customers to sand, prep and paint the bumper a la Alain's bodies. Otherwise the porous bumper will dig into the rails HARD.

Have fun man! Becoming a manufacturer (of sorts) is definitely on another level when it comes to appreciating and enjoying the hobby.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.11, 10:21 AM   #12
imxlr8ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
was thinking that you could extend the edges a bit, so that upon impact, the extensions could take up the deflection and dissipate forces before it actually hits any part of the wing... how far you extend, will be up to actual field/track testing...
Right, it's all based on the testing I'm going to be doing. I'm sure it will take some minor revisions, unless the material proves to be troublesome as far as breakage and flex amount. If it deflects too much, I would either have to add structure to reinforce or extend.

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2012.12.11, 10:35 AM   #13
imxlr8ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01 View Post
Most importantly, watch the material you're making this stuff out of. If it's porous, you're going to have to tell your customers to sand, prep and paint the bumper a la Alain's bodies. Otherwise the porous bumper will dig into the rails HARD.
Yes, I will be documenting all of the finishing that will be required. Beauty thing of it is in regards to parts like this is that it is low visibility. Sanding can be done where required, and if your into total aesthetics for the whole part you can do that too.

My first 2 or 3 designs are all low to no visibility, but I have ordered some of the coming parts in "high detail plastic" just to see what options are available.

I also plan to give the option of ordering in other materials as well, different colors may work better for others tastes.

My next design will require grinding because it's going to be a fit to finish part and I had to keep it generic for it's purpose. I will only share that one when I have completed a range of testing. I'm looking at it most of these parts being grindable and tuneable for everyones different needs, like a base template of plastic that you make work for you.

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2012.12.11, 12:57 PM   #14
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

Nice design on the bumper. You gonna hook a brother up right?. Got anything else in the works?
Old 2012.12.11, 02:19 PM   #15
imxlr8ed

Price on there isn't firm yet, it's tough to figure out how much good old American ingenuity and style costs nowadays.

Plenty in the works, leaning towards F1 designs currently. I would have more shown but I'm waiting just like you guys. The bumper prototypes are supposed to ship by tomorrow so I hope to have my review posted up the day I get them.

Just a heads up for everyone who may be planning to order some of my stuff, I ordered the bumpers on the 30th, they promised to ship by the 12th. You have to remember that these are not "in stock" parts and it's not like they ship them the day of order so it's not your typical online purchase.

I keep telling myself that my patience will be rewarded... I hope it is!

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)

Last edited by imxlr8ed; 2012.12.11 at 02:25 PM.