Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.10.04, 01:10 AM   #1
ProfoxCG

Send a message via AIM to ProfoxCG
Steering issue

when I turn the the left the wheels do not come back to the center, unless I turn them. Can someone tell what may be wrong?
ProfoxCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.10.04, 12:10 PM   #2
stuZ
mini-z muckraker

broken tooth on first servo gear?

broken tooth on first servo gear?

you might want to take your front gear box apart and check everything.

does it make a clicking, or any servo motor noise?
stuZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.10.04, 12:45 PM   #3
ProfoxCG

it a bid of servo noise, the funny thing is, that today it seemed to work fine. ummm=(
Old 2003.10.04, 01:21 PM   #4
stuZ
mini-z muckraker

Funny. I've had a couple of issues like that,
and the fix was running it in to the wall at medium speed, an accident of course, but it was then fixed.

Sometimes the gears/motor/potentiometer front end assembly is a bit off kilter and can bind the steering in one direction or the other. Those tolerances are very, very tight up in there.

I'll bet the servo potentiometer was a little bit off of the first servo
gear, or something wasn't meshed up quite right.

look at Draconius' site, and search the forums for 'the paper trick'

The OL's have more issues with binding than doe the racers from my experience. The motor has to be backed out and as straight as possible, and the servo gear assembly has to be very straight, and locked in place, pushed forward as far as possible, and of course the pot has to have a good connection to the 1st servo gear.

hope this helps
Old 2003.10.05, 01:17 AM   #5
ProfoxCG

yeah, I will take it apart tomorrow and spend some time on it.
Old 2003.10.06, 02:49 PM   #6
stuZ
mini-z muckraker

Hey ProFoxCG,

any developments?

I had a similar issue this weekend with an OL that I replaced all four front wires on.

the steering just stays turned right, until you turn it back, and a little bit of motor twitch at times.

I kind of think it might be from the pot getting too hot when I replaced the wires.
Old 2003.10.06, 03:18 PM   #7
ProfoxCG

well, I put a bit of super glue in the pottentiometer so hold it together to the gears, but now my car twiches... I am not sure if I need to replace the entire servo and from assembly.... Im sad now..
Old 2003.10.06, 03:57 PM   #8
stuZ
mini-z muckraker

yeah, me too. I don't know how to fix. arggh.
I know you can purchase the electronics
replacement from d i n b a l l . c o m . I guess that' sthe last resort.
Old 2003.10.06, 04:15 PM   #9
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i have had all the servo wires break on me, got sand in the gearbox and have reinstalled everything up there more times than i can count. every once in awhile things get funky and i have to do it all again.
just keep trying...the whole servo area of an overland can be a mess, it's hard to get it all together, there is little room for error and is prone to snapping a wire, not to mention the servo motor itself is not powerful enough. if i had to pick one thing that i wish was done better, it would be that. overlands are high maintainence, but tinkering with it is part of the fun for me, as long as it's working more than it isn't.
ofcourse i'm sure there are those that have never had problems and some who have had nothing but problems.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.10.06, 08:56 PM   #10
PhatCat

Send a message via ICQ to PhatCat
Sorry about the bad luck some of you guys are having. I've beat the crap out of my poor OL and becides mechanical problems that were solved by replacing with alloy (my OL is slowly turning all metal as I break stuff on it ... hehe) I've never had any problems with the electrical/gearing systems with it.

I even thought I had did it in once while running it in my backyard when the sprinkler system kicked in and totaly soaked it. It stopped running compleatly so I took it in the house and tore it apart and let it dry for 24 hrs, packed it all back up and it was running great the next day. One benifit of the whole ordeal was that it was nice and clean!! hehe. (I don't recommend this cleaning meathod though, I was very fortunate nothing shorted out big time and fried .... hehe).
PhatCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.10.07, 09:08 AM   #11
ProfoxCG

well, I didnt try to fix that super glued steering part. I juest left it alone and drove for a while with the twitch was going on every now and then. Well all of the sudden it began to work normally with not problems. (I think it was because i told it I was gonna put it on e-bay for 10 bucks !) lol

so today on my lunch break I am going to install some oil shock on it. BTW I had the lowdowns before last night and the SUV handles great in corners and is a bit more responsive. currenlty I have the stock shocks since I was doing rally on my bed. OL are so fun , even solo. !!
Old 2003.10.07, 01:26 PM   #12
stuZ
mini-z muckraker

I think my problem is because the pot is tweeked a little to one side due to the minutely thicker wires (from a phone jack) that I replaced, I have to tear it apart again, and see what I can do.
you'll love those oil shocks.
Old 2003.10.07, 03:15 PM   #13
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
somtimes my overland's have a way of working out the kinks themselves...they get finicky after soo much use

when the black merc comes out, it will be my 3rd ol and i'll set that one up with lowdown shocks for racing. i like the way my other 2 are setup right now and don't want to mess with them. hmmm....what am i going to do with the silver x5? i think i'll use that for racing and mod the black merc...

yeah, the oil shocks are nice.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.10.07, 03:19 PM   #14
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
Also this applies to the OL as well as the other Z's... make sure the pinion on the motor shaft is not colliding with the other gear... a few Z's ive worked on had this problem... so the steering was sorta goofy. It was caused by the servo motor pinion not being on the motor shaft all the way, so I just gently pressed the motor pinion-down on the table for a second and it usualy fixes the problem...

Just another thing to check for those reading up on servo issues. Guess this shouldbe in the faq. Ill move it later if some oen else dont beat me
Old 2003.10.22, 07:22 PM   #15
stuZ
mini-z muckraker

Quote:
make sure the pinion on the motor shaft is not colliding with the other gear...the steering was sorta goofy. It was caused by the servo motor pinion not being on the motor shaft all the way, so I just gently pressed the motor pinion-down on the table for a second and it usualy fixes the problem...
Whatever anyone tries,
don't try to fix this pinion problem with a hammer.

I tried doing as drac suggested, and it slid own the shaft a bit, but not too far. I put it back together, and was having the same problem. (in hindsight, I should have realized that this meant I was trying the wrong solution for my problem, but...)

so, I took it apart again, and tried hitting the pinion with a small hammer, and then twisted the motor to make sure all was still well. It was.

I tried again, with the twist, still, not much sliding.

next, two good hard baps to the pinion, and like magic the motor ground and hit something inside as I tried to spin it. I had ruined the servo motor. sucks for me I guess.

so, I just posted this in hopes that no one else makes a similar mistake.

I don't think that the pinion on the steering servo motor is supposed to go all the way down the shaft.