Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.10.24, 10:18 AM   #1
ProfoxCG

Send a message via AIM to ProfoxCG
Does everyone have the steering issue?

I just bought a first AWD, and while setting it w my transmitter (trims and all)
I noticed the the steering does not center after a turn all the time, I inspected everything and what seems to cause the problem I believe is play in the tie-rod where it touches the servo-saver.

Anyhow, I took the car for a few slow laps arount the track and found my self constantly correcting the steering after a long sweeper towards the right for example.

I have searched the forums but there does not seem to be a solution. A friend of mine has the same issue w his AWD and I wanted to know If maybe my car was defective, or is this is an issue everyone has and needs to compensate at the track.
ProfoxCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.24, 10:34 AM   #2
yamar6

You can try this.It might work.I found this under problems & weakness of the ma-010. The problem is with the servo case. It is too tight. If U take the whole case out it will work fine but as soon as U put it back in it binds up. U have to open up the spots where the case installs and U also have to take a little off of the back side of the arm that hooks to the servo saver. After this is done the steering will be fine. Some think that it is torque steer but it is not so.
yamar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.24, 10:49 AM   #3
andreophile
Left Foot Braker

Almost all MA-010's have the same problem. You're bound to face that as soon as you switch over to the Blue-Grey SP chassis. It can be solved by a simple fix, but it's complicated by the need to take the entire chassis apart to reach the servo gear. I'm surprised to hear that you couldn't a solution despite searching the forums. There are many threads including a very detailed one explaining it step-by-step with exhaustive photographs.

Here you go: MA-010 Steering Fix
Old 2008.10.24, 10:58 AM   #4
CristianTabush

Biggest difference I have found, more so than dremeling the chassis, replacing the gears, pot, etc, is replacing the servo saver. Some of them are defective from the factory ( a bit warped) and the car will never center. I found this out after I essentially replaced every steering part in my AWD and it still would not center. Once I replaced the servo saver, problem was gone...
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.24, 01:24 PM   #5
ProfoxCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Biggest difference I have found, more so than dremeling the chassis, replacing the gears, pot, etc, is replacing the servo saver. Some of them are defective from the factory ( a bit warped) and the car will never center. I found this out after I essentially replaced every steering part in my AWD and it still would not center. Once I replaced the servo saver, problem was gone...
Crisitan, What type / Kind / Material is your new servo saver? I was looking online at a 3racing one to see if that would help.

guys, really dremelling the case is not a "REAL" solution to Kyosho's "factory defect" if anything they should releaser an "upgraded top cover and servo saver" I just spend 160 dollars on a chasis, I dont want to FIX it.

I spoke to the guy at my LHS, he said he wouls call kyosho... but I would much rather find a good effective fix rather than seding my car back and getting a replacement that may be worse.
Old 2008.10.24, 02:38 PM   #6
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Send a message via AIM to marc Send a message via MSN to marc
You should ask Nic-Z about this as he's gone through I think like seven AWD's with this same problem and finally got one that was perfect which he's now selling/sold on ebay. I am assuming you are talking AM? I wonder if the 2.4 suffers the same issues?
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.24, 03:03 PM   #7
CristianTabush

I've built over 300 AWD's Marc, and the common denominator was the servo saver. Every single time! I just replace it with a new Kyosho one. The problem is if it is warped, it won't fully seat the pin in the back location, and when you install the top cover, it binds, not allowing the car to center when going in a straight line. I do also recess the top cover, but I have noticed it is not all that rub there. My guess is that they do when you have a defective servo saver.
Old 2008.10.24, 03:13 PM   #8
ProfoxCG

Marc, my ma010 is actually and ASF chasis.

Cristian, would you think that having an alum. servo saver from Atomic for example will solve the issue / prevent more occurences.
Old 2008.10.24, 06:50 PM   #9
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

the atm servo arm will rub on the top cover worse but will more than likely be straight
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
The uk's premier shop for mini-z
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
mk2kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.24, 11:20 PM   #10
ProfoxCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2kompressor View Post
the atm servo arm will rub on the top cover worse but will more than likely be straight
urgh lol ,
Old 2008.10.27, 02:06 AM   #11
CristianTabush

just use a new kyosho one, should fix teh problem right up and is only like 7 bucks
Old 2008.10.27, 12:20 PM   #12
ProfoxCG

I noticed my MR02 doesnt always come back to the perfect center. It is also offset by 0.5* -1* or so to whichever side I turn, yet it tracks straight.

Maybe there is nothing wrong w my AWD as it has the same behavior. Maybe I need too speed up the servo return speed... that could be part of the solution.

I am going to buy another AWD to put Fets on it, and I am going to compare.
and also another Mr02 (LM)

Curiously, my dnano, goes back to the center straight all the time, (although because of the scale maybe i can not tell that sometimes its a little off)

Does you car do the same?
Old 2008.10.30, 02:22 AM   #13
herman

Quote:
my ma010 is actually and ASF chasis.
so do i get this right? the asf awd also has issues with sterring issues?

Quote:
I am going to buy another AWD to put Fets on it, and I am going to compare.and also another Mr02 (LM)
hmm... didn't master cristian just mention to try the servo saver? which is just a 7$ replacement part? i guess that would be a cheaper solution... and well worth a try since he did say that he's built more than 300 awd's...

hmm... now where can i order my awd servo saver???
is the awd servo saver the same as the mr015/mr02 servo saver?
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.30, 06:35 AM   #14
ProfoxCG

Update

I took the whole board out and installed a new servo saver and installted the pot correctly. seems like that make everything better. The car centers, but the wheels are off center a little bit (and I noticed this too on my Mr02) and that is just due to the "slop" between tie rod and knuckels.

I took car to the track ans drives much better.
Old 2008.10.31, 01:19 AM   #15
herman

that's really great news....

now going back to my question... is the awd servo saver the same as the mr01/015 servo saver?

pardon my question as i haven't opened up my cars in quite a while...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote