Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.02.05, 08:43 PM   #1
pianoman
www.mini-zracer.com/shop/

Exclamation Spec track world challange!

I have an Idea. People from around the world would love to get together and race, but it is too expensive (for most) to do that.

I propose a ‘spec’ track that everyone can build for cheap using the exact same materials in the exact same dimensions. It could also take up a space that most people can utilize, for example, 10x10 (I know that is small, but pipe is 10 feet long) or 10x15, etc…or choice of one or another or both. Anyone could come up with a good track plan using given space.

Materials could be a tarpaper track with ½ inch PVC pipe barriers. Someone could get a hold of some tarpaper and send everyone the make or style of it. These are just ideas.

A person could race for 10 minutes and have someone count the laps (or video tape it and count the laps afterwards).

Videotaping (with a digital clock in the back ground) could be the form of proof of the lap count or something (not necessary unless there was a specific prize…a trophy or just bragging rights I guess).

I know there are cheaters and all that but the fun would be seeing how fast you can go compared to everyone else out there. I suppose there could be classes but once you have the spec track and enough people to compare with…classes would just materialize out of thin air by listing your tires, hop-ups and car style.

I think this would be fun and boy would speed based hop up sales skyrocket!

Pianoman
Old 2003.02.05, 08:57 PM   #2
pianoman

Here is a simple spec trac idea...
Attached Images
File Type: gif spec track idea 1 pianoman.gif (1.7 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by pianoman; 2003.02.05 at 09:00 PM.
pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.02.05, 11:40 PM   #3
mini-z
Administrator

Yep, cool idea; we were trying to do this with a standardized track from a company we met at the Chicago show - but they've vanished off of the face of the earth since then. We're up for helping make this happen, including for example creating a special section of the site to post times, videos, etc.
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.02.05, 11:51 PM   #4
pianoman

Why not then...? This month I have very little work to do so I could come up with a standard track (including parts at home depot). I doubt the track would cost more than $20 including the race surface. I just wonder how many people would be interested in this. The track would take less than 5 minutes to put together, ya know?

Cheers,

Pianoman
Old 2003.02.06, 10:53 AM   #5
Breeze
Mini-Z Pro

I think this is an absolute wonderful idea. My original track was 10 x 15 w/30' lanes. Here's a suggestion. Instead of squaring off the corners, use 45 degree elbows to arc the corners.
Here's a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trk.jpg (69.9 KB, 84 views)

ck out my website
SpiceyCajun.com
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.02.06, 07:52 PM   #6
MHRacer
Mini-Z Novice

I like the idea and would be more than happy to build another track (in addition to the Garage Track).

In fact, our backyard, should be very similar to the image posted by Breeze.

I am curious, how much did all the pipes and connectors cost?
The image looks great.

How long does it take to build/remove the track?

--MHRacer
MHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.02.06, 08:14 PM   #7
Breeze
Mini-Z Pro

The track in the pic cost about $20. Set up for the 10 X 15 track
takes about 15 - 20 minutes. Tear down is less, of course. The initial design, cut , and set-up took about 2.5 hours.

ck out my website
SpiceyCajun.com
Old 2003.02.06, 11:39 PM   #8
Big-Z
Mini-Z Pro

How does the gaps on the cement affect your car?
Big-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.02.06, 11:50 PM   #9
Breeze
Mini-Z Pro

They really weren't that bad-about 3/8ths of an inch wide.
If someone has the same situation with the cracks, you can always lay down some tar paper. It's about $15 @ Home Depot for a 3' X 56' roll. I don't live there any more. When I move to NC in a couple of weeks, I'm going to get some carpet to run on.

ck out my website
SpiceyCajun.com