Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2015.08.03, 03:32 AM   #1
Pinger

X-Power IDT

Did anyone try out the new IDT?!
Thank you
Pinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.03, 03:38 AM   #2
Pinger

X-Power IDT

Hi folks,
Has anyone tried the new IDT?
Cheers
Old 2015.08.03, 06:47 AM   #3
AFMiniz

I did. I bought a IDT SPORT as a start, then upgraded it with options (including sensored motor). I enjoy its "touring" feel very much.
AFMiniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.04, 02:22 AM   #4
DMALMAD

IDT
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40083

and

IMT
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40222

I have tried almost every Mini-Z related chassis currently avialable and I can honestly say stear clear of the IDT and IMT. I own both along with multiple MRX and have made my own aftermarket chassis and can say with confidence that spending money on the IDT / IMT is a mistake. Stick with an MR-03, and MRX, or an 020 if you want AWD. Anything else is overcomplicated and poorly excecuted.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.04, 08:59 AM   #5
AFMiniz

image.jpg

My IDT
Old 2015.08.09, 03:26 AM   #6
AFMiniz

My view is they (miniz and IDT/IMT) are two different classes of RC.

Miniz started with a "toy" concept and is targeting the mass market though a lot of 3rd parties brands produce option parts to make it becomes "raceable". MRX is another break through to push the miniz concept to its upper limit in term of racing capability.

Whereas IDT started from an ordinary RC concept as if it was a touring car and is targeting the RC players market. It's raceability is on its hardware like use of sensored brushless technology which has never been used in such small scale RC. The kind of enjoyment is totally different.
Old 2015.08.09, 06:23 PM   #7
DMALMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFMiniz View Post
My view is they (miniz and IDT/IMT) are two different classes of RC.

Miniz started with a "toy" concept and is targeting the mass market though a lot of 3rd parties brands produce option parts to make it becomes "raceable". MRX is another break through to push the miniz concept to its upper limit in term of racing capability.

Whereas IDT started from an ordinary RC concept as if it was a touring car and is targeting the RC players market. It's raceability is on its hardware like use of sensored brushless technology which has never been used in such small scale RC. The kind of enjoyment is totally different.
It is not enjoying when the car is fragile, unpredictable, poorly made / designed, and it handles poorly. And to top it all off it is faster with the sensorless, just my luck Yes the concept was good but the car itself is a nightmare. If you never experienced how well a regular Mini-Z can handle and perform than I guess ignorance is bliss but from the standpoint of being economical and having a RELIABLE car that you can count on to handle decently the X-Power IDT/IMT would be my last choice of 1/27th or 1/24th scale equipment. Just my opinion, but then again I have spent money and raced all versions of X-powers cars so what would I know. Not trying to call you out, your experience might be good, but there is a reason that a whole bunch of people bought them at my track and then only ran them for a month....

The car is heavy, poorly balanced, prone to tweaking, and does not even come with enough caster. In their design you change the wheelbase by shimming the lower arm but at the longest wheelbase you get at max like 1 degree of caster but when you shorten the wheel base at the front you get negative caster. That is just one of the many design flaws but overall the car is not worth the hassle or the money. If sold at 350 rtr with half decent spring rates and the proper hub and caster block front suspension that allows adjustmen of camber at the front then maybe the car would be half decent. Even then the roll centers on the car are way out of wack, and the ballstud is not long enough to shim to the correct height. The bellcrank (which is a 60 dollar option on a 560$ car btw) allows less steering throw then the draglink (which provides unequal bumpsteer). Not only that but the car comes with 1 degree rear toe and requires optional blocks at 15$ a piece (standard 1/10th tc come with 3 degree rear toe standard which is a much better starting point). X-power passed off a sub par car with decent electronics for too much money.

In the case of the Mini-Z v.s. the IMT (which is direct competion to the AWD) the IMT is the gimmick toy and the Mini-Z is the race platform. There is a reason why there is a strong aftermarket for the Mini-Z, because it is an excellent base plateform with immense potential (aside from the t-plate). You can only go up from the base 03 but the IDT/IMT are lower than the Mini-Z and can't go up or improve.

X-Power did a great thing with the sensored technology and the idea of the scaled down TC but after showing the car to 1/10th tc guys they had no interest and still considered it a toy. So the one purpose it served (to bridge the gap between TC and Mini-Z) it failed at.

Yes I feel cheated by X-power and that is the origin of my statements but the reality of it is that everything I have said about it is factual and leads to only one logical conclusion: The x-power IDT and IMT is inferior to the MRX and 03 in every way except for its electronic speed control and sensored technology.

Last edited by DMALMAD; 2015.08.09 at 06:26 PM.
Old 2015.08.10, 10:19 AM   #8
hum3

I have a different view.

I have been a big RC fan for more than 15yrs. When I had no family, I used to spend all my time on RC cars. Spent the evenings over the week to cleaning the car.. the bearings, tuning the engine, spraying the Lexan bodies.. then racing on the weekends...

Unfortunately, life changes when you have a wife... and kids.. I still love my RC but I can only spend 2-3 hrs a week without getting into trouble...

I started doing Mini-Z, MR03 first but I really missed my full throttle sliding out of the corners. MA was good for a while until the motors becomes too powerful. I kept breaking everything .. plastic gears are smooth but I hate having to replace them every few weeks .. and I could never make the metal gears running smooth with each other ... hard plastic shells are nice to look at but cracks easily.. whenever I broke the chassis... I would be out of action for a least a few weeks until I finally found enough time to rebuild everything..

I have owned the IDT for a few months now, a few parts still wears out from time to time, but they are super easy to replace. My 2-3 hrs each week have been spent running rather than fixing the car. It was more expansive to buy up front but a lot cheaper to maintain in the long run. The ball diff requires some fine-tuning from time-to-time so I am still missing the oil diff from my 1/10 days
hum3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.10, 12:45 PM   #9
DMALMAD

Easy to mantain does not mean that the car handles well and is a headache to race. Also the IMT is not easy to mantain in comparison to the 2wd. I broke 3 knuckles in 2 race days and while I have only broken a knuckle once in 2 years with my 2wd's. The MRX and the 03 are much more durable chassis which are laid out better and easier to maintain. And anyways I prefer to have to spend time preparing the car so that I know it will handle well so maybe that is just me but if I am going to spend the time and money on a car I would rather have a car that actually works

The IDT is good for the person who races by themselves on a track they set up in their basement but what when you put the IMT up against the AMZ, the mini-z or the MRX it will loose. Just no pleasure in a car that has too many flaws. In a race enviorment it is better to stick with the 2wd anyways, the IMT/IDT is just too much hassle.
Old 2015.08.11, 08:36 AM   #10
AFMiniz

I agreed that steering knuckle is the most fragile part among others. However, since I changed it to aluminium one, I really don't have any other part broken any more (even under heavy crash).

In our track, we race miniz, MRX and IDT/IMT together. I would say the most fragile part is the miniz shell (as it is made of hard plastic)! Haha:>

Happy to see your sharing here that might inspire Xpower to continuously improve their products. Trust that you won't disagree their MRX is the most successful (in term of raceability) mini RC available in the market.

image.jpg
Old 2015.08.11, 09:53 AM   #11
Pinger

Well said!! Life changes and less less time to spend with RC.... I am looking for a "mini" car that can maximize my time. My previous experience with AWD is that it is very hard to get it silky smooth and well maintain. The plastic parts are easily broken..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hum3 View Post
I have a different view.

I have been a big RC fan for more than 15yrs. When I had no family, I used to spend all my time on RC cars. Spent the evenings over the week to cleaning the car.. the bearings, tuning the engine, spraying the Lexan bodies.. then racing on the weekends...

Unfortunately, life changes when you have a wife... and kids.. I still love my RC but I can only spend 2-3 hrs a week without getting into trouble...

I started doing Mini-Z, MR03 first but I really missed my full throttle sliding out of the corners. MA was good for a while until the motors becomes too powerful. I kept breaking everything .. plastic gears are smooth but I hate having to replace them every few weeks .. and I could never make the metal gears running smooth with each other ... hard plastic shells are nice to look at but cracks easily.. whenever I broke the chassis... I would be out of action for a least a few weeks until I finally found enough time to rebuild everything..

I have owned the IDT for a few months now, a few parts still wears out from time to time, but they are super easy to replace. My 2-3 hrs each week have been spent running rather than fixing the car. It was more expansive to buy up front but a lot cheaper to maintain in the long run. The ball diff requires some fine-tuning from time-to-time so I am still missing the oil diff from my 1/10 days
Old 2015.08.11, 09:56 AM   #12
Pinger

Thanks AFMiniz!
Is there any other info?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFMiniz View Post
Old 2015.08.11, 12:48 PM   #13
hum3

Hi DMALMAD,

It's interesting that we are using the same car but have totally different experience. I haven't had to touch any caster settings as the car handles pretty well out of the box.

You are right about the knuckle, it was quite problematic until I installed the metal one.

I have also resolved the steering issue with the setup shown in the attached photo.

I believe all of the issues you mentioned have a solution, and that's the beauty of having this forum so we can all share the fun and experiences.

Why don't you provide a bit more details on the other issues you mentioned briefly in your earlier posts? I am in a club with quite a number of IDT experts, I am sure they won't mind sharing the knowledge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steering.jpg (96.0 KB, 21 views)
hum3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.11, 04:48 PM   #14
DMALMAD

X-Power have resolved some of the issues but after spending 600$ on a kit I have no interest in spending another 100-150$. The car handles well but after fixing all the issues it is still less adjustable and slower than a well equiped MRX which can be built for 450$ or less. If the IDT/IMT came with a working bellcrank and a c-hub/caster block TC setup out of the box and was narrower with a shorter wheelbase then the car would be worth the 560$ price tag. But at that point you might as well by an Xray T4 or other TC car because even still the IDT would be slower than the MRX. It may be better than the Mini-Z AWD but against the AMZ it is still slower. I may have a slightly skewed point of view because at my club we are known for being the fastest and adopting slightly different racing procedures (i.e. we ran open foam tire 32t lipo MRX rockets) so odviously the IDT was going to be slower no matter what but when we tried running it as a seperate class the beginner drivers could barely build the car let alone consistently keep it handling well. The car was too finicky and inconsistent for our level of driving in our paticular environment but it may work well else where. All I can say is that the MRX has the performance advantage, reliability advantage, tire life advantage, and ease of use advantage.

As for the inherint flaws there is no way to fix the caster settings. Wihout proper caster the car is unstable and loses a LOT of enty steering. One driver at my track was testing some prototype bulkheads which fixed some of the caster issue but even if the caster issue was resolved the roll center and camber gain at the front of the car makes the tires cone too much when running the setups we ran. Overall the car was frustrating but if you can live with the flaws and only drive IDT v.s IDT then I guess the car works.
Old 2015.08.12, 07:42 AM   #15
AFMiniz

IDT tracing MR03
image.jpg