Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2020.06.17, 05:22 PM   #1
jasonak

Looking for info on AM to FHSS swap ?

Hi
I have a F1 with the AM radio setup and I was wanting to convert it to FHSS anyone done this or have any info or links that might help me out ?
thank you!
jasonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.06.17, 07:15 PM   #2
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I've done many AM to ASF swaps:

1. Open F1 chassis to expose servo motor and gears area.
2. remove servo guts paying special attention to wiring layout of potentiometer and servo motor and remove board from power screw area (be sure to note which is positive and negative for future)
3. You'll need to add one wire to the potentiometer as FHSS systems require a left/center/right wire but AM did not need this.
4. because there is one less gear in the F1 servo set (compared to MR03) you'll need to wire the red/black wires of the servo motor reversed from standard (check the fhss board for labeling of the motor wire area you should likely see pos-neg or a + and -)
5. Solder the 3 wires of the potentiometer orange(closest to motor wires) new center wire then green.
6. Re-install all your guts of the servo
7. attach power wires in the proper places

At this point a test will either show steering function or it will go full lock in one direction....if it does this swapping the motor wires around usually fixes the steering lock issue.

Good luck and have fun!

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.06.17, 07:41 PM   #3
jasonak

Thank you ,,,thank you ,,,thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your awesome I really appreciate your help ! Ive looked all through F1 forum and couldnt find a step by step like you just laid out for me.

Ive been looking at a couple diffrent boards to try and use

https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho-...hoCLbUQAvD_BwE

https://www.*******om/itm/Kyosho-MZ4...EAAOSwep1dqhyw

Have any suggestion on which board would be better for the swap ?
thank you again!
Old 2020.06.18, 08:53 AM   #4
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

The second link isnt functioning due to the forum's word block but the one you posted from Amain is an example of heading in the right direction in a much easier fashion:

1. The servo motor for the F1 and the AWD are the same.
2. It comes with a three wire pot already attached.

If you went with that board (or some similar) you'd likely just have to worry about some wire extensions. The mounting locations from F1 vs AWD are a couple cms off.

The only other bit of research i would do is find out what kind of fet arrangements the board has.... to free yourself of concerns of brushed motor power level I'd make sure it has a 2×2 fet arrangement on the board (i haven't followed the recent boards but i do know the original "Sports" board only had 1×2).

You could also take a quick search at dasmicro for a clone board to suit your fhss requirements but they need you to solder all your own servo, power and switches

my custom body album...
Old 2020.06.18, 12:10 PM   #5
pfcparts

I can't recall the stock set up, but I think a small metal bridge was used to mount the pod and shock. If it is on the stock set up, those light and gyro connectors might need to be removed for clearance? Or it may be easier just to find an alternative way to mount the board... Or you could probably modify the bridge assuming there is space and material to.

Using the original motor, switch, and pot on a dasmicro board might be an option. Though with all that mess soldering, all new parts might save the headache of doing it again if anything goes bad.
Old 2020.06.18, 02:29 PM   #6
jasonak

Hi

Thanks for everyone's advice and help. I went with the AWD board as it wouldn't hurt to replace the servo motor im sure.
It should get here next week. Ill keep you posted and let you know how it turns out.
Old 2020.06.18, 03:03 PM   #7
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Khang is right about the metal bridge. I used a dremel to remove material to allow the top plugs to be used.

my custom body album...
Old 2020.06.23, 11:42 PM   #8
jasonak

Hi
Just did the swap and car throttle is backwards goes back when you try and go forward etc. I know I can just swap power wirres but it dosent make any sense since I replaced the whole unit ??

Also the steering wil just snap to left or right and stay there. Any ideas what I did wrong ? I installed the whole unit had to lengthen the pot wires but everything else fit.

This is the board I used Kyosho MA-020/RA-45 R/C Unit Set

thanks for your help

Last edited by jasonak; 2020.06.23 at 11:56 PM.
Old 2020.06.23, 11:54 PM   #9
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonak View Post
Hi
Just did the swap and car throttle is backwards goes back when you try and go forward etc. Also the steering wil just snap to left or right and stay there. Any ideas what I did wrong ? I installed the whole unit had to lengthen the pot wires but everything else fit.

This is the board I used Kyosho MA-020/RA-45 R/C Unit Set

thank for your help
For the motor, just switch the motor wires at the motor. You can also do it as a controller setting, but some boards deal with F and R differently.

For the steering, make sure the middle contact on the pot goes to the middle contact on the board, and then try swapping the outer wires.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.06.23, 11:59 PM   #10
jasonak

Ok thanks..Ill check the wires.
Just seems strange as its the factory setup so should have been correct from the factory right ? or am i not seeing something?
Old 2020.06.24, 04:56 PM   #11
jasonak

I just re-read cowboysir post and I think I see whats wrong will post back tonight
thank you again everyone
Old 2020.06.24, 09:01 PM   #12
jasonak

Swapped power wires around and it worked, Swapped power wires on motor and servo. At first didnt want to turn to good but increased the DR on the radio and that fixed it.

So if anyone else comes across this thread I used the
MA-020/RA-45 R/C Unit Set (im going to try diffrent board in next F1)
I had to swap power wires for servo and motor. The board screwed directly to the car didnt need and mods there. Also had to extend the three wires for the POT . The servo motor and on/off switch fit right in.
I used the KT-531P radio

When I do the other swap Ill post that as well. With phtos and more of step by step. For the next newb like me that comes along

Thanks again for everyones help !!!

Last edited by jasonak; 2020.06.24 at 09:21 PM.