Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Manufacturers > Reflex Racing

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009.11.15, 10:48 PM   #46
pgeldz

Ok fellas, I just picked up the QteQ diff but I'm needing a little help in choosing the rest of the components to make the lightest ball diff, WITHOUT having to use spacers or do any sanding, etc.

First off, I should mention I need to get close to the final drive of the stock 44T spur and 8Tpinion combo, which is 5.5

The closest I can get using Reflex Racing's 64p delrin spur gears is a 5.3 using the 53T spur and 10T pinion. Might be ok.

Question #1 - Is the 64p/53T spur smaller overall in diameter than the stock Kyosho 44T spur? I ask because when my tires are worn down to the optimal grip level, the stock spur is already close to rubbing the ground. If the 64p/53T is bigger, it'll rub.

Question #2 - What 64p pinions to use with Reflex Racing 64p spur (I see that Reflex Racing doesn't make pinions).

Questoin #4 - Which diff rings would have less sticking action with the Reflex spur, the stock Kyosho, or medium weight Reflex Racing rings (which are still lighter than stock)?

Question #3 - If the Reflex Racing spur will "stick" with either rings, than I'll use the Kyosho spur. Are the medium weight Reflex Racing rings compatible withoguh spacers/sanding, etc?

Question #4 - Which pinion is better foir the stock Kyosho spur, Kyosho delrin or PN pro match?

Shaft - I'm looking at the PN Racing MR2045UL shaft. Seems to be the lightest of the bunch at 1.29 grams.

Balls - Ceramic, or Carbon Ceramic?

I was leanign towards the Reflex medium weight rings, with the Reflex delrin spur, but I don't want any sticking.

Please advise.

- Paulie
pgeldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.16, 08:13 AM   #47
briankstan

see answers in Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgeldz View Post
Ok fellas, I just picked up the QteQ diff but I'm needing a little help in choosing the rest of the components to make the lightest ball diff, WITHOUT having to use spacers or do any sanding, etc.

First off, I should mention I need to get close to the final drive of the stock 44T spur and 8Tpinion combo, which is 5.5

The closest I can get using Reflex Racing's 64p delrin spur gears is a 5.3 using the 53T spur and 10T pinion. Might be ok.

Question #1 - Is the 64p/53T spur smaller overall in diameter than the stock Kyosho 44T spur? I ask because when my tires are worn down to the optimal grip level, the stock spur is already close to rubbing the ground. If the 64p/53T is bigger, it'll rub. I don't know the specific diameter, I just know that I haven't had a problem with it even when tires get worn down pretty low. here is a pic of mine from the back, with new tires of course.

Question #2 - What 64p pinions to use with Reflex Racing 64p spur (I see that Reflex Racing doesn't make pinions). Use the PN Racing 64 Pitch Pinions they have from 9-14 tooth.

Questoin #4 - Which diff rings would have less sticking action with the Reflex spur, the stock Kyosho, or medium weight Reflex Racing rings (which are still lighter than stock)? for less to no sanding you want the Medium rings.

Question #3 - If the Reflex Racing spur will "stick" with either rings, than I'll use the Kyosho spur. Are the medium weight Reflex Racing rings compatible withoguh spacers/sanding, etc? if you aren't using the reflex spur, go with the PN 64 pitch spurs. you shouldn't need any spacers.

Question #4 - Which pinion is better foir the stock Kyosho spur, Kyosho delrin or PN pro match? either would be a good choice

Shaft - I'm looking at the PN Racing MR2045UL shaft. Seems to be the lightest of the bunch at 1.29 grams. yes

Balls - Ceramic, or Carbon Ceramic?

I was leanign towards the Reflex medium weight rings, with the Reflex delrin spur, but I don't want any sticking.

Please advise.

it's all in how you build it. you only have the sticking if you sand to much and and don't use the spacers, also the amount of grease you use can affect it as well. Hope that helps.

- Paulie
Old 2009.11.16, 10:17 AM   #48
CristianTabush

Thanks for answering Brian. As for ceramic and carbon ceramic, They are essentially the same thing, as in it doesn't really make a difference... Spacing is really not that hard. The tutorial on how to do it will go up by tomorrow night. It is not hard at all and it is really worth doing it if you want to get the max performance from it.

If installed properly, I have heard nothing but positive comments about the spurs. To this point, every single customer that I have gotten feedback from has dropped their laptimes.
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.16, 11:17 AM   #49
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Without sanding or shimming, none of the 64p gears will work. Then what is the point of going through the work of building the diff if you dont have the best parts in there. Spend a little time and effort in building the diff the right way now, and it will pay off on the track.
Old 2009.11.16, 12:10 PM   #50
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Maybe I am daft, but what exactly are we sanding/shimming?

My experience is limited compared to you guys, but I have blueprinted two different diffs and had good results with both..

1) ATM with 64 pitch gears. Wet sanded the rings was basically all I did and it worked nicely. Didn't have any strange handling problems.

2) 3Racing with standard pitch. I followed the Reflex Racing Ball diff artcile: Wet sanded rings, and CA glued them to the back plates(using D rings, but there is a little play so I figured CA couldn't hurt). Again, this diff works nicely.

I'm looking forward to the RR article showing what is going on here... I'm assuming that the spur is hitting the plates and causing major problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Without sanding or shimming, none of the 64p gears will work. Then what is the point of going through the work of building the diff if you dont have the best parts in there. Spend a little time and effort in building the diff the right way now, and it will pay off on the track.
Old 2009.11.16, 12:14 PM   #51
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Quote:
Question #1 - Is the 64p/53T spur smaller overall in diameter than the stock Kyosho 44T spur? I ask because when my tires are worn down to the optimal grip level, the stock spur is already close to rubbing the ground. If the 64p/53T is bigger, it'll rub.

- Paulie
Seems like people missed this... The 64p/53T should be have an overall diameter that is a noticeably smaller than the K-44T spur.

I just changed a 64p/51T to a K-42T spur and the K-42T was quite a bit bigger.
Old 2009.11.16, 05:19 PM   #52
CristianTabush

Some people claim there is problems with the spur hitting the diff plates. This is practically impossible if the differential is rotating, due to centrifugal forces.

The side-to-side slop was something we noticed after we made the spurs with certain combination of brands of shafts/diff plates (all the axles have different spacing and they all have different thickness diff rings). This slop can cause excessive vibration, but this is easily fixed by simply installing a couple of washers on the axle to take up some of the slack on the axle. This does make the diff perform much better. Since all diffs are different, there is no "standard" number of shims that needs to be used, but there is a procedure on how to do it better. This should be up on the Reflex Site by tomorrow night.

On the V2 version of the spurs, we are "machining in" the spacer. This should lead to a much truer spinning spur and also much easier to use.
Old 2009.11.17, 11:03 PM   #53
pgeldz

Thanks fellas! I want to build the diff for its MAX performance, so a little sanding never hurt anyone. I just wanted to know what components I could use without having to do that, incase I didnt' have access to the proper shims.

I look forward to reading the tutorial on the shimming of the diff.

Thanks again everyone!

My only thing is that I can't get to a final drive of the stock 44T spur and 8T pinion. if the Reflex Racing does provide much more oomph though, than I guess it'll cancel otu the lower ratio, and give me the best of both worlds...punch AND higher top speed!

AWESOME!

I'll let ya know...

- Paulie
Old 2009.11.20, 10:22 PM   #54
pgeldz

Cristian,

is the diff shimming tutorial on the site yet? I couldn't find it...

Can you link me to it?

- Paulie
Old 2009.12.07, 12:54 AM   #55
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankstan View Post
I took these from my MR-03 build. My MR-02 Build As you can see if you build the QteQ diff with the right parts, It's lighter than the stock gear diff.

I've build 3 of them, the reflex parts are top notch, as well as the QteQ parts. I'm glad Reflex found them

stock gear diff, weight is 5.9 grams.

Kyosho Ball Diff, weight is 8.2 grams.

QteQ Ball diff, with Reflex light weight diff rings, Reflex ceramic balls, Reflex 53 tooth spur Gear, Qteq Diff housing, and PN ultra light weight diff shaft, weight is 4.4 grams.
This isn't accurate as you didn't include the left hub in these photos. I suspect the plastic one for the gear diff is different than any of the aluminum ones.

-Jer

-Jer
Old 2009.12.07, 12:56 AM   #56
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

I have the PN spacer set; will those washers work with to shim this spur gear?

-Jer
Old 2009.12.14, 07:57 PM   #57
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Quote:
Cristian,

is the diff shimming tutorial on the site yet? I couldn't find it...

Can you link me to it?

- Paulie
Bump for tutorial!
Old 2009.12.14, 09:10 PM   #58
CristianTabush

I am still trying to figure out the right sourcing for the spacers. I am waiting for them to make it a little more straight forward. I should be receiving some later on this week.