Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2007.08.19, 06:14 PM   #1
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

AWD Steering not centering

Hello All,

If I take a wide right sweeper into a straightaway, when I let go of my steering the car does not come completely back to center. The steering will keep hooking right just a little bit. It does the same thing on left turns as well. If I correct it and let it go, it will travel straight but I can't correct for every turn.

- I recently replaced the chassis, so that's brand new.

- The servo gears are brand new.

- Arch2B's car does the same thing.

Any thoughts???
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.19, 06:21 PM   #2
Limeaway
MA-010 Owner

Send a message via AIM to Limeaway
My car does the exact same thing when I'm playing around with the steering. The problem doesn't affect me much though since my track is really small. I'm thinking it's the tie rod binding to the chassis itself?
Limeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.19, 06:52 PM   #3
byebye

Try dropping a little lube at the steering rod and let us know.

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.19, 07:19 PM   #4
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

i had the same problem on mine,the arm of the servo saver was rubbing on the cover on top(the bit the power wires screw to)ive dremelled it out with an engraving bit for clearance
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
The uk's premier shop for mini-z
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
mk2kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.20, 08:59 AM   #5
hrdrvr
MBMZR

I had the same problem on my oldest 010 and it was the tie rod bonding for some reason. I still havent figured it out, but when I clean it really good, it would stop for a bit. A little lube helps it stay good for longer, but I can figure where its binding because it does it with the cover off as well (which ens it whouldnt even be in there tight). Coming from Xmods I was always used to steering back to center, so thats what I do wiht that car.

One of my newer 010s does the same thing. I found the same thing mk2 did upon instepction, and fixed it the same way. Because of my habit of steering back to center, I had to have some one else tell me about the problem. It was noticed when I loaned it out to a guy to try and get him interested in Zs. Since dremeling out for clearence, it hasnt had the problem again.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.20, 09:36 AM   #6
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

thought id post up some pics of the parts,the alloy servo saver was not worth the hassle(it cost me greatly in the last hfay race)but you can see the arm that comes off the 3rd servo gear.
thats the part that rubbed on the 3 different top covers i tried
i also reamed out the plastic that the 3rd servo gear goes through to connect to the pot

my eyes still hurt
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
The uk's premier shop for mini-z
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
mk2kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.20, 09:49 AM   #7
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Thanks for the info guys. I hate taking the AWD apart but I'll give it a shot. I'll report back.
Old 2007.08.20, 11:05 AM   #8
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
thank god... i thought i was just having ad-band issues with my awd. it's reassuring atleast to know i'm not the only one experiencing this. i look forward to spoons follow up
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.20, 01:08 PM   #9
aimfox
Mini-Z AWD Driver

Send a message via MSN to aimfox
i have the same issue but its something to do with the tie rod degree
aimfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.12, 12:23 PM   #10
DeOz

The plates (gear box) that sandwich the steering gears in place sometimes bind up and cause inaccurate steering. I usually sand down the edges of the plates very slightly with some 1500 grit sand paper and lube up the gear shafts and any plate surface that might have contact with a gear with some bearing lube. Take your time setting the gear box in place it should go in straight and if you feel any binding pull it back out and start over. BTW I have found the PN Racing Delrin gears to be way smother and accurate compared to the stock plastic ones.
DeOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.12, 12:26 PM   #11
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

I haven't done a full test yet but I swapped the POT and think that it fixed the issue. I also tried dremeling the servo cover but that didn't help. I haven't had a chance to drive my AWD very much so I'll need more time to confirm.
Old 2007.10.10, 12:47 PM   #12
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Update

New Servo Gears.
Dremelled Chassis
New Steering POT

Still having the same problem. Steering does not completely return to center after a right turn. I can even watch the problem happen when I remove the tie rod, so I don't think there is binding there.
Old 2007.10.10, 01:05 PM   #13
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i drove mine a bit and while it had other issues i was more concerned with, it still does the same thing. it's funny how some people have great experiences with awd and others just haev no luck at all. i've had issues with mine since the day i bought it. unfortunately there are is no warranty/return policy for bad driving skills
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.10, 01:37 PM   #14
hrdrvr
MBMZR

^ :lol:

The only other place Ive had a lot of trouble with is the steering tie rod. It binds on the top of the clip that holds it up. A good cleaning usually fixes that though, and Im sure youve tried that. See if it happens with that clip removed though....Also, Check and see if it does it without the tie rod. At that point, Im out of mechanical suggestions.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.11, 01:02 AM   #15
Aurora

Spoon/arch2b,

I have heard similar cases happen more often with the firelap/longsun 02 imitation, where the board/motor is weak in returning the steering to neutral after turns. And I kinda wonder whether it might be electronic issue more than the mechanical. If it is an AD band board, ICS value could be changed to make the steering motor to be stronger in centering.

Another possible mechanical failure might be the wires getting into way, somehow, such that it affects the saver when turning.

For testing purpose, I'd suggest to try detaching the steering motor from chassis, use silly putty to stick a toothpick on top of the pinion and see whether it has a hard time to center itself even without load(where in real world situation, it probably takes more to get the steering to center after turn).
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote