Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2013.01.27, 04:02 PM   #31
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
what really matters.... is everyone enjoying the track? if the answer is yes, the rest doesn't matter
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.27, 04:27 PM   #32
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMALMAD View Post
But you can't compare to full scale racing because of the scale speeds achieved with modified motors. If you had a real car that went proportionally as fast as a mini-z it would most likely flip, traction roll,and all the other bad characteristics of mini-z if you don't have it set up right. If you think about it a mini-z that goes 15 miles an hour is going +/- 400 scale miles. A mod class mini-z is probably going +/- 500 scale miles an hour. If a full size car were to go that fast into a corner like a mini-z on rcp it would most certainly flip. So therefore your argument of carpet being more scale and realistic is quite the opposite, carpet is unrealistic unless your mini-z is going 5 mph on carpet.
If RCP was proper scale it would range from 12-18" wide, then we wouldn't be able to achieve those super high speeds, then maybe it might handle more "real". The reality is, we run faster cars on bigger tracks because no one would want to run on 12" wide lanes with 5 mph cars. I'm not going to go out there and say carpet is perfect and RCP is horrible. There are a lot of pros and cons to both. The inconsistency, lack of layout options (yes there are a LOT, but it is limited), unforgiving walls are the main reasons we are going away from RCP.

In the end (like I said before) each group needs to make their own decisions on what is best for them. I think we have made the right choice in going with the CRC carpet, and I am very happy that I decided to make the investment. We had our first event yesterday, and the support for the decision was overwhelming. It seemed like every one loved the layout (impossible to recreate with RCP), and really enjoyed how the cars reacted to the surface.

I do really like a good debate, and track surface is a good point to debate. I would just appreciate if we took the debate to a thread dedicated to such, instead of clogging up my "celebration of carpet" with such discussion. Thank you for finding (or making) a proper location for those talks to take place Basically, if you ain't got nothing nice to say.................well, just say it some where else

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.27, 04:41 PM   #33
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
good general track surface discussion i would suggest the debate continue there perhaps
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.27, 06:28 PM   #34
DMALMAD

you are right, you have done great things for the mini-z community by changing your track to carpet and giving the choice. I would love to debate it but you are right, lets not taint this thread when it should be used to showcase a different option for mini-z racers.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.27, 11:26 PM   #35
yasuji
PN RacingTEAM Driver

Send a message via AIM to yasuji Send a message via Yahoo to yasuji
hey.... inquiring minds wanna know.....what were the tire combos?

Grant "Yasuji" Matsushima

PN Racing Team Driver
www.pnracing.com
gm@pnracing.com

yasuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.28, 05:05 AM   #36
Traveler
of both Time and Space

K20 radial rears. I ran K30 slick fronts, but some ran 40 slicks or radials. I didn't use any traction compound as I thought the traction was great. I would love to see your pan car flying around that layout.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.28, 06:45 AM   #37
Sammich

i'm still on kyosho radial 20*R/40*F from the RCP layout..i just adjusted my suspension and diff to my liking and i love how it's driving right now

Quote:
drunk driving is not cool, unless it's with Mini-Z's.
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.28, 08:20 AM   #38
spdnutknapp

I ran 20 rear slicks and 40 front slicks. I am not as good as many are at tunning. But i loved it. Don't want to run rcp any more. I will because that is what the local track is. Thank you landon and sara for another awsome event.
Old 2013.01.28, 08:23 AM   #39
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

Same with me 20radials out back and 40 radials up front. I did run pn 20 fronts that I had left over from the worlds and they worked great as well. I just didn't have any more to use so I stuck with the kyosho tires. I tried the pn 6 radials but they took a bit to warm up and grip, once they did they were fine for about 5 min then faded off. With the speeds we were doing the tires got hot
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.28, 09:09 AM   #40
briankstan

Landon, love the carpet layout and setup you have. I have some questions about the carpet itself. I've heard very good things about the CRC HD Carpet, but haven't run on it specifically. I Race weekly on a temporary indoor carpet track we have here for larger scales, mainly 18th, 12th, and 10th classes. we are using the "ozite" carpet and I'd have to say it's pretty brutal with the carpet fuzz and strings that wrap around axles and everything else it also gets inside bearings. Have you had any issued with that in regards to the CRC carpet?

I took my mini-z down and tried them on the carpet here but they didn't work well mainly because our track is anything but smooth, the carpet laid out on a gym floor and is rolled up one it's done, the little bumps created by rolling it up were just bouncing my light Mini-Z all over the place.

Looking at the pictures of the layouts, I can't wait to see some video of some of your races. Are you also racing 1/12 pan on those layouts? I'd like to see some videos of that as well. You built a CRC Xti how do you like it. I have a CRC X10 LE, that we run with 10.5 2 cell boosted. My car is amazing to drive. What's your experience?
Old 2013.01.28, 10:21 AM   #41
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankstan View Post
I have some questions about the carpet itself. I've heard very good things about the CRC HD Carpet, but haven't run on it specifically. I Race weekly on a temporary indoor carpet track we have here for larger scales, mainly 18th, 12th, and 10th classes. we are using the "ozite" carpet and I'd have to say it's pretty brutal with the carpet fuzz and strings that wrap around axles and everything else it also gets inside bearings. Have you had any issued with that in regards to the CRC carpet?
This was my first time running Mini-Zs on carpet, but compared to Landon's RCP, my cars stayed way clearner on this carpet track. If they pickup up anything, it was a couple of super thin fibers (smaller than human hair) on the screw heads that hold the PN CF bottom plate on. These in no way affected performance. The CRC carpet was nothing like you describe above. I also picked up some tire dust on the inside of the wheel wells, but much less than I do on RCP tracks. I also believe tire life is much better on CRC HD than RCP. I used the same tires for practice all day Friday and practice and racing all day Saturday, over 20 hours in total.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.28, 10:31 AM   #42
Sammich

Quote:
Landon, love the carpet layout and setup you have. I have some questions about the carpet itself. I've heard very good things about the CRC HD Carpet, but haven't run on it specifically. I Race weekly on a temporary indoor carpet track we have here for larger scales, mainly 18th, 12th, and 10th classes. we are using the "ozite" carpet and I'd have to say it's pretty brutal with the carpet fuzz and strings that wrap around axles and everything else it also gets inside bearings. Have you had any issued with that in regards to the CRC carpet?

I took my mini-z down and tried them on the carpet here but they didn't work well mainly because our track is anything but smooth, the carpet laid out on a gym floor and is rolled up one it's done, the little bumps created by rolling it up were just bouncing my light Mini-Z all over the place.

Looking at the pictures of the layouts, I can't wait to see some video of some of your races. Are you also racing 1/12 pan on those layouts? I'd like to see some videos of that as well. You built a CRC Xti how do you like it. I have a CRC X10 LE, that we run with 10.5 2 cell boosted. My car is amazing to drive. What's your experience?
when we first started running on it, i guess the newness, it ended up having tons of carpet 'fibers' on our cars, but it has lessened a whole lot since. i dont feel the need to blow my car off after every run now. landon mentioned that the more it's run on the less we will have all of those fibers on it, and i can tell that this is true.

i and one other person had one abnormally long strand of, whatever material that was on our vehicles, but other than that, it's been much cleaner than the RCP

Quote:
Old 2013.01.28, 11:23 AM   #43
briankstan

good info thanks guys. It sounds to be much better than the carpet we have. From what I have read the CRC HD carpet is the "IT" carpet to have if your racing carpet at any scale. I've priced it and getting it here wouldn't be cost effective for what we do, but maybe one day we'll have a full time dedicated carpet track to call home.
Old 2013.01.28, 05:02 PM   #44
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMALMAD View Post
you are right, you have done great things for the mini-z community by changing your track to carpet and giving the choice. I would love to debate it but you are right, lets not taint this thread when it should be used to showcase a different option for mini-z racers.
I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression...that I didn't want your input specifically. I just wanted to get the topic steering back into the right direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasuji View Post
hey.... inquiring minds wanna know.....what were the tire combos?
I ran K20/40 along with the majority. I did run a little compound (SXT 3.0) on the rears and had good luck with that. It didn't add any grip to the radial tires, but as the radial wore off, it would bring it back to "new" grip levels. I ran one set of Kyosho 20 radial rears from Friday nights practice session, all the way through the weekend. I ran the one set of tires on one car, in two classes (PN pan car and 350Z/Mosler swapped between races), so it got a lot of run time. You can still see some radial at the edge of the tire. I would typically use 3-4 sets for that amount of run time on RCP (at an event where I want maximum performance).

I did run one car with PN6s (Traveler's car), and it felt good. It was even better once he switched to K20s though. I never tried any traction compound on the PN rubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
.... I would love to see your pan car flying around that layout.
You didn't like seeing mine fly around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdnutknapp View Post
I ran 20 rear slicks and 40 front slicks. I am not as good as many are at tunning. But i loved it. Don't want to run rcp any more. I will because that is what the local track is. Thank you landon and sara for another awsome event.
Thanks for the positive feedback Terry! Glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:
we are using the "ozite" carpet and I'd have to say it's pretty brutal with the carpet fuzz and strings that wrap around axles and everything else it also gets inside bearings. Have you had any issued with that in regards to the CRC carpet?
I ran Zs on ozite once before, and the fuzz was a bit of a problem. That is one of the big improvements of this over ozite, is the lack of fuzz. They use a better backing which holds up better (doesn't let the fibers lose as easily), and what seems to be a slightly tighter weave. I was told that what little fuzz we get now, will wear down as we run in the track. If we use traction compound it will help that happen even faster. As for now, the longest "threads" Ive seen were about 1" long. That's not really long enough to wrap around anything.

Quote:
I have had my carpet sitting out for a couple of weeks now, so it is pretty settled. The few wrinkles that are left don't seem to bother the cars, except for when they are right at the apex. I am surprised because when we first set it up, it was pretty bumpy, and the cars absorbed it very well. Of course our old RCP track was very bumpy, and we demanded a bunch from our suspension on the elevations we used to run. Maybe our cars/drivers are already tuned for dealing with that, so we don't notice it much.

Quote:
If you look back at post #24, there is actually a 1/10 TC in that pic. I ran my 1/12 pan car on that layout, and the one I have down now (already changed form the event layout). I am running a 21.5 BL motor, and it's the right speed for the track. It is a little tight, and while I can wheel around it quickly and comfortably, it would be tough with 4-5 cars on the track at the same time...especially if they are inexperienced. I bought the CRC car with intent of running it on here, but I think it is too small. I had a couple of guys running 1/16 Traxxas vehicles yesterday. We started out with 2 and an RC18SCT, and ended up with 3 Traxxas, and 2 RC18Bs at the same time. I have some jumps I put out, and that was a freakin' blast!!! I've never raced off-road, but that had be itching to try it out. I think I'll stick with Zs for on-road, and 1/18-16 cars for off-road.

I love the CRC car. It is a very quality kit for an awesome price. I'd like to get/see one of the AE RC12R5 as it is similarly priced, but I can't see it being better. CRC has some very cool design innovations on this car, that I really like. The standard features are integrated into the design very well. I love simplistic, efficient design, and this car has it. As far as the drive, a lot of people say it is an edgy car. On the lower speeds and tighter corners on our current track, it is perfect for me. I can't wait to get to a dedicated 1/12-10 track to see how well it really does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
i and one other person had one abnormally long strand of, whatever material that was on our vehicles, but other than that, it's been much cleaner than the RCP
I didn't see what you pulled off, but if you are referring to the long strand John got on his car, that was actually from the carpet tape that I was originally using to hold down the walls.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.28, 07:50 PM   #45
Sammich

it was like the first week you laid it down, brandon had a strand, but i dont think anyone has since then. it's super clean now, like you said it would

Quote: