Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.01.05, 09:08 AM   #16
Kevin S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
I have driven two Dnano's, at the KO race in Cupertino CA last March. It was at a Kyosho test booth, on the official track. GT-R and Porsche Carrera GT. I loved the Porsche, and disliked the GT-R. The Carrera GT had a much lower profile, and was much smoother through the corners. The GT-R cornered sharper.

I thought about getting a simple track from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Infinitrax-Mod...2677677&sr=8-1 for my nephew for X-Mas and a couple zip zaps... but got him Lego Technics instead... then I thought about getting the same track and a Dnano for me, so I can turn laps at home with much less space requirement than a Mini-Z. Still thinking about it. The track linked would be pretty small for a Dnano, like running a modified LM car on a mini-96... but it would still be track time. Something that I really dont get enough of lately. Just to get an idea of the width of the track lanes...

It would be purely for training or time trialing, since two cars really cant battle for position. It would really be a single line track.
Hey EMU,
That little track looks pretty cool. The dNANO that I got was the Ferrari F40 but I have ordered the McLaren Body for it along with all the fitting parts and hop ups becuase that is the body that I run for my Mini-Z. I love the way the body handles on the Mini-Z so I am hoping that it is just as great for the dNANO.
Dream Killr Racing
Supporter of White Knuckle Racing
Kevin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.05, 11:34 AM   #17
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
there are a few dnano's available in the marketplace here this will get you in cheaper than retail.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.05, 01:51 PM   #18
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

What about this track? $69.00 + S&H.

Each tile is 22" and looks to be 6x4 tiles. Which is 11'x7'. This is much bigger than necessary, and if you removed the extra tiles to make it 1 tile wide it would be 4x2 and 7'x3.7'

If you have more room you could leave some of the wide tiles in and add additional barriers to make it not an oval. I'll also venture a guess that you could make that into a smaller L configuration.

Seems like it would be big enough for a couple cars, too.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showth...&highlight=rcp

Old 2010.01.05, 04:29 PM   #19
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Jeremy, that track is WAY TOO BIG (looks like standard RCP size, with different color rails). I had a mini-96 (30cm tiles instead of 50cm), which is still too big for what I would want for my studio apartment.
Old 2010.01.05, 07:03 PM   #20
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Quote:
Jeremy, that track is WAY TOO BIG (looks like standard RCP size, with different color rails). I had a mini-96 (30cm tiles instead of 50cm), which is still too big for what I would want for my studio apartment.
Lets not get into a contest to see who has the smaller apartment; unless you forget I live in NY as well.

I'm kind of into the dNaNo these last few days. Are they as driveable as the mini-z? Like, if I had a small track to play on would the track time be worth while?
Old 2010.01.05, 08:31 PM   #21
EMU
EMUracing

I had a blast driving the Dnano at the KO race. Track was very small, but the cars handled very well on it. I would say the track was smaller than a Wide-L, but had 2-3x the amount of corners. Im really leaning to getting a Dnano and the track now... If I do... Friday is track day
Old 2010.01.06, 12:40 AM   #22
mugler

Quote:
I had a blast driving the Dnano at the KO race. Track was very small, but the cars handled very well on it. I would say the track was smaller than a Wide-L, but had 2-3x the amount of corners. Im really leaning to getting a Dnano and the track now... If I do... Friday is track day
Would that still be an RCP track (96 or standard) you were running on or something else?

Were the cars tuned with tires & others parts and which bodies did you run?
mugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.06, 01:47 AM   #23
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
I have driven two Dnano's, at the KO race in Cupertino CA last March. It was at a Kyosho test booth, on the official track. GT-R and Porsche Carrera GT. I loved the Porsche, and disliked the GT-R. The Carrera GT had a much lower profile, and was much smoother through the corners. The GT-R cornered sharper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugler View Post
Would that still be an RCP track (96 or standard) you were running on or something else?

Were the cars tuned with tires & others parts and which bodies did you run?
The cars were completely stock. Track was Kyoshos official Dnano track. Very low pile carpet like material on a board...

This was the actual track at the event that I drove. You can also see the Porsche and GT-R on the track as well.

In stock form, I was very impressed with the Carrera GT, and turned off by the GT-R on that type of track. As you can see, the cars are pretty small compared to the lane width. Im guessing that the Infinitrax track I am looking at would be about 1/2 the overall size and 1/4 the lane width. Corner speed would be greatly reduced by the tighter corner radius.
Old 2010.01.06, 06:23 AM   #24
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Quote:
Well, that is pretty cool. I think that picture you linked didn't do the track justice though. From what I can glean from the website, I'm guessing each track piece is 8 inches wide, with at least an inch for the built-in rails. That means the lane width is 6.5-7 inches.

I think another option would be regular foam mats that are sold at craft stores. They often sell it in 3'x5' sheets for about $10 a sheet. It is extremely smooth, yet kind of grippy.

A big version of this material:
Old 2010.04.22, 07:55 PM   #25
Rooster29

Well, this is hard to believe, but my local HTUSA just got the track set up and the dNaNo's out for sale. I posted all the way back in January they had gotten the stuff in. They had these things for almost five months. Anyway, I got to test drive a white Enzo for three battery runs. That was fun! I was impressed by the way it ran. It did have a push, but that kinda made it fun in a way. I guess that could be worked out. I went ahead and bit the bullet and got the Martini Porsche 917. Of course I couldn't stop there, I got the Motul Autech 350z also. I plan on going to HT tomorrow and giving them a good run. I haven't ran them yet, so I am quite anxious! I have all kinds of that Eva foam garage mats that I think I will try at home. I think they would be even faster on that. It seems that the material that HT used to make their track was okay, but may slow them down in comparison to the Eva mats. I will find out, I hope to have something set up at home before the weekend is out. I do like the fact that you can get more turns in a given area with a track set up for dNaNo's. I may even try a Real Track system in the future, depending on how the Eva foam works out. HT also got several parts in, that included t-plates, bearings, tires, etc. I am just going to run them stock for a while. I spent enough money for now.
Rooster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.26, 03:41 PM   #26
Rooster29

dNaNo=Fun

I got the track set up using the Eva Foam garage mats and I must say it has worked out well. It was a fun drive, those little boogers move out pretty well just in stock form. I used the 4 panel technical layout from the Kyosho website as my design. It is 12' by 6' and the lanes are 17" to 18" wide. I only ran the 917. I haven't tried the Motul Autech yet. I might post pictures when I get a chance. I did like running on that surface better than the material that the track is made out of at HT. I think I might be hooked on these things.
Old 2010.04.26, 04:05 PM   #27
arch2b

how different is your eva foam track from rcp? for my mini-96 all i need are some slightly softer front tires and rear suspension to reduce the hopping around with my motul 7. i've found the motul z to be very stable as expected however the front nose splitter will catch on any tile variations large enough to post a problem. some attention to tile consistency in placement solved this problem.
these are plenty fast out of the box considering the size.

fyi, i have 2 skyline r35's that my kids never use for sale in the marketplace in case anyone is interested.
Old 2010.04.26, 06:29 PM   #28
Rooster29

The biggest difference is the smooth texture of the Eva foam. Same deal as you mentioned w/ the rcp track though, as far as making sure that the consistency is there when you put the tiles together. I had to go back over a couple spots to address the same issue. I like the fact that the Eva foam doesn't "shed" like the rcp. I was surprised how well the stock tires did on it, I didn't spin out at all. I plan to go to HT and try different degree tires. I could probably use a little more grip, but it's not something that I have to do. From what I gather, this is the stuff used at Nano Trax. I plan on getting my motul z out tonight and take it for a spin for the first time. I like the layout, I may take it from 12' to 14' down the line. I personally think that is a good length for these cars. It's great to be able to have a nice layout that takes up less space for at home. Arch, have you tried different t-plates, ball diff, bearings, or damper system? If you have, I was just curious of what you thought about any of these options.
Old 2010.04.26, 07:43 PM   #29
arch2b

i have yet to try anything other than aluminum wheels. i bought some soft h plates but have not used one yet. i'm going to buy some pn tires as soon as i can gather up some more paypal funds.

i'm holding off on other hop ups until i actually get to some racing. right now my money has been going to a new mini-z F1, now i can work on my dnano as i have my hfay mini-z's done as well.

i'm really waiting for the kyosho or pn disc damper as well.
Old 2010.04.26, 08:24 PM   #30
Rooster29

I would think that the first upgrades would be very similar to the Mini Z's. Tires, bearings, & ball diff. I will probably pick up tires and bearings at HT this week and see what that does. I'm w/ you as far as waiting for a disc damper from pn or kyosho. I think that the damper system would really make a difference from what I have seen w/ the dNaNo so far. I meant to tell you the last post I made that I would be interested in your dNaNo's, but it would take me a a little time and hopefully you sell them before I would get to them. I just shot about $430 or so on the two I just bought plus the starter set and extra battery to boot. I would jump on them now, but me, my wife and son are taking a vacation to FL in June. On top of that, his birthday is in June and we told him that we would get him a golden doodle. Those suckers are about $1,500. So needless to say, my play money is tight now. Have you taken your new F1 for a spin yet?