Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2020.09.12, 11:08 AM   #1
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
New 30cm RCP Tracks, Black/Green Edition for Home!

With the gap in Kyosho supply chain in these days I have some time to kill before the Camaro ZL1 unpainted bodies hit NA, same for the AMG as well so looking to spice things up a bit at my home track in the meantime with a new track! Yes, I ordered a new 30cm track kit to test/trial at home. It's the Rcp Tracks 30Cm Double Oval kit with grey tiles and black/green rails. The tiles have an embossed texture on one side to replace the rough textured finish and flip side remains the standard smooth finish. As I want to maintain the Mini-96 layout, I had to order the Double Wide Oval and Oval Wide to get enough of the correct tiles to make the Mini-96 layout and will just shelve the blanks and extra's for the time being.
https://rcptracks.com/collections/rc...4%A2-30cm-sets

Naturally with new track color comes a new timing bridge! If your going to change one, need to do the other right?! I have the aluminum channel on order already and reconnecting with Brian Swayney to get a bridge support in black to match the straight side rails and picked up Krylon Fusion Gloss Jungle Green for the bridge channel to coordinate with the turn rails just as my red bridge channel does now. Reconnecting with I-Lap RC as well for appropriate decals and looking to try some new things on this channel. Well, some things I have not done in some time and using more stencils vs. hand cutting stuff which is crazy time intensive. Therapeutic work at times but takes up so much time and Xacto blades. I look forward to sharing with everyone the new work and to seeing the new colors available for RCP as well. I have love/hate relationship with the prior limited edition grey 50cm Wide L tracks and hope the same issues don't creep up as they've had some years working with the color now in manufacturing.

Her is a photo oy my current timing bridge for home track in traditional RCP color coordination.

Materials:

RCP-TRACKS™ | 30CM DOUBLE OVAL WIDE
Item: SETR-C13108-01
https://rcptracks.com/collections/rc...uble-oval-wide

RCP-TRACKS™ | 30CM OVAL WIDE
Item: SETR-C13054-01
https://rcptracks.com/collections/rc...30cm-oval-wide

[Aluminum channel for 30cm track, two tile wide straight]
6063 Aluminum U-Channel, Unpolished (Mill) Finish, Extruded, T52 Temper, AMS QQ-A-200/9/ASTM B221, Equal Leg Length, Squared Corners, 2" Base Width, 0.125" Wall Thickness, 24" Length
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[Timing bridge supports]
RC Car Modular Timing Bridge support system for RCP Track
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4399282

You can pick up Krylon at Walmart or Lowes.

Last edited by arch2b; 2020.09.12 at 11:23 AM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.09.18, 09:40 AM   #2
soulstice

Beautiful setup Arch2B.

I was planning on ordering a mini-96 earlier in the summer but never got around to it when things were out of stock. This new color combo is enticing. This is the problem with forums, it forces my hand toward the "Buy" buttons.

Is i-lap still the timing system to get, or would you recommend something else if you didn't have it already.
Old 2020.09.18, 10:05 AM   #3
arch2b

All things considered, I prefer I-lap over easylap. Easylap is pushed by PN so more those types events will use that but I don’t like the enormous lag in signal detection notification.

If the black/green track stays, may consider letting the standard one go or vs versa. I’ll let you know either way.

Looks like track arrives by next week. Got the paint and aluminum channel. Just waiting in bridge supports and stencils.
Old 2020.09.18, 10:34 AM   #4
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I agree with Arch about the slower reporting of the EZ system. The benefit is a smaller transmitter, but the audible beeps as cars pass the loop helps the race director stay on top of cars missing laps or not counting much easier. As a driver, you listen to them as well, and it can cause you to think you missed laps and distract fron the drive.

I do really like the new rail colors, do you know if the rails will be sold separately?
Old 2020.09.18, 10:46 AM   #5
soulstice

@emu They do sell the regular light gray straight rails separately so hopefully they'll make these available in the future.

@arch2b The height of your lap bridge, is there a technical reason it is that height(like the sensor needs to be that far) or just personal preference?
Old 2020.09.18, 02:23 PM   #6
arch2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
I agree with Arch about the slower reporting of the EZ system. The benefit is a smaller transmitter, but the audible beeps as cars pass the loop helps the race director stay on top of cars missing laps or not counting much easier. As a driver, you listen to them as well, and it can cause you to think you missed laps and distract fron the drive.

I do really like the new rail colors, do you know if the rails will be sold separately?
The audible Que, while seemingly minuscule function really does psychologically have an impact on the driver as the varied delay creates uncertainty. This bleeds down to the race director whom already have enough to deal with. That small feature alone is what drives me bonkers and why I stick with I-lap. If as a driver you didn't know about that, you would likely not care as you wouldn't know and the race director may or may not tell you until after the race depending on how they run things. I rely on that Que with I-Lap to quickly identify a missed lap should it occur and track to adjust lap count post race. Simply impossible to do that with Easylap unless your staring at the screen and visually confirming lap count changes with passing the timer. Confidence in the system can mean a lot to the success of an event. As well as easily rectifying any errors should they occur vs. taking a DNF.

Very good question on the rails, I do know at one point a price was being looked at for me for just the rails. If your interested, please feel free to EMAIL. I sidestepped that issue and just bought the two tracks to get a Mini-96 in those colors. I am actively seeking to get the 30cm wide inside turn kits made in the same black/green color.
Old 2020.09.18, 02:28 PM   #7
arch2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstice View Post
...@arch2b The height of your lap bridge, is there a technical reason it is that height(like the sensor needs to be that far) or just personal preference?
the 3d print supports have extensions that can be added/subtracted to adjust total bridge height. I set mine and it worked so never bothered taking it down a notch. The track at Remnant and Hobby Works is at about the same height as my home track. I do know others that are only using one support spacer for height and works fine. I may try that for the black/green bridge. I love the modularity built into the support design. If you have the 3d printer, you can adjust the height of those parts to whatever you wish.
Old 2020.09.18, 03:07 PM   #8
arch2b

FYI, you can order the green/black tracks through any RCP retailer. If you don't have a local LHS, or preferred online retailer, please feel free to reach out to my contact via EMAIL. I have purchased nearly all of my RCP over the years through this contact. My contact above or shop.tinyrc.

Last edited by arch2b; 2020.09.18 at 03:13 PM.
Old 2020.09.20, 10:37 AM   #9
arch2b

The new track has arrived!

Here is a comparison to the standard Mini-96, showing rail colors, track tiles and tile finishes.

The embossed side is relatively flat texture. I'll be running the smooth side though which remains the same as standard RCP.

If your not familiar with past offerings, RCP released a commercial market track that also had an embossed texture however that one was more pronounced and off pattern really for a race track.

That one also had yellow/black rails and the limited edition grey tile color.

I can report that this limited edition grey color does not have the same problem as the prior limited edition grey smooth/rough tiles. There is no mold release or manufacturing film residue on the tile that made the old version nearly un-usable without extreme wash down and years of use.
Old 2020.09.20, 11:09 AM   #10
Rooster29

Thanks for the information arc. I like the track, but not sure I’ll purchase it. Certainly wouldn’t mind having it though. Too many other new Kyosho items I’ll end up throwing money at....
Rooster29 is offline   Reply With Quote