Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2015.04.10, 06:12 PM   #31
Jshwaa

Wow, that thing is sexy. Is there a vid somewhere of it performing?
Old 2015.04.10, 09:34 PM   #32
DMALMAD

No we are still waiting on our conversion kits to switch from IDT to IMT. The IDT is 1/24th and there is a video of it doing a couple laps on x-power's social media. But to be honest it looks a lot cooler than it drive Love the sensored motor but the atomic car always seemed faster no matter what I did. However we will see if the shorter wheelbase improves the cars responsiveness.

Last edited by mleemor60; 2015.04.11 at 05:35 AM.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.04.10, 10:28 PM   #33
Jshwaa

So you've messed with the brushless designs quite a bit?

Can you describe in detail the biggest shortcoming of the brushless motor setups? Are they not good at lower speeds? I've heard they are hella fast, but tricky...
Old 2015.04.11, 11:19 AM   #34
DMALMAD

They have no drag break! I had the kyosho ve board and tried all the different ics settings and different types of motors from different manufacturers and the biggest issue I was facing was the complete lack of drag break and the lack of smoothness in the powerband. With the higher kv motors I was using in order to stay conpetive I found myself time and time agian throwing more and more throttle curve into my radio which helped but also made me slightly slower through the infield. I was consistenty 3/10th off the pace and although I won a race with the brushless it was a constant battle and for it to be succesful It needed a very generous open layout and high levels of traction. Overall I was very dissapointed with the kyosho ve however I have tried different esc's on someone else's IDT and have found that the lack of drag break in the sensorless motors is no the motors fault but the esc's fault because a cheap and small 1/18th scale esc provided enough drag break to make the car come to a complete stop. The x-power sensored motors are really nice. They are very smooth (because they are sensored) and because they are slightly larger the loewr kv motors provide enough speed and more torque than really needed. Now if only X-power had gotten the chassis right like they did the motor and esc
Old 2015.04.11, 12:33 PM   #35
dameetz

DMALMAD, few questions if you don't mind.
- What spur gear / pinion is the IDT/IMT is using? Pitch?
- Can you give me the battery dimension? It seems that Xpower has not sell the batteries seperately (I cant find it on their site or maybe I missed it somewhere).
- Will AMZ size LiPo batt fit the chassis?
-How big is the sensored motor compare to the Atomic sensorless (AMZ) motor? -Do you think the motor it will fit in an AMZ?
- Does the sensored system has Turbo/Boost dynamic timing function?
- Has it got less noise than AMZ?
- As I understand the AMZ is better handling than the IDT?

Thanks in advance.
dameetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.04.11, 06:28 PM   #36
DMALMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
DMALMAD, few questions if you don't mind.
- What spur gear / pinion is the IDT/IMT is using? Pitch?
- Can you give me the battery dimension? It seems that Xpower has not sell the batteries seperately (I cant find it on their site or maybe I missed it somewhere).
- Will AMZ size LiPo batt fit the chassis?
-How big is the sensored motor compare to the Atomic sensorless (AMZ) motor? -Do you think the motor it will fit in an AMZ?
- Does the sensored system has Turbo/Boost dynamic timing function?
- Has it got less noise than AMZ?
- As I understand the AMZ is better handling than the IDT?

Thanks in advance.
The IDT battery is 18mm tall and as wide and long as the standard MRX battery

- The IDT is using 64 pitch gears with a 10t pinion but it was too slow with 10t so I used 14t. The spur is 53t I think
- The Amz lipo will fit the chassis but I don't think that you will be able to make run time with AMZ battery.
- The sensored system has both timing and boost functions. you can adjust level of timing and when it stops and starts and can adjust level of boost and when it stops and starts. You can also adjust drag break and drive frequency and motor direction.
- I think it has less noise than AMZ but can't confirm completely.
- I think the AMZ just has better dimension and springs available. The car is too long and wide but hopefully the IMT conversion will help balance it out. The AMZ is lighter and has better spring options as the IDT springs are too soft and the only other types we have found to fit are too hard in my opinion, I am still waiting on a option spring set hopefuly. Also IDT comes with only 1* rear toe which is too little and the option toe bars are very expensive.
- The sensored motor is 18mm diameter and 30mm long so it is slightly larger diameter than regular brushless motor. If you think about the pn motors it is as wide all the way around as the pn motor is on its round parts. If there is 2mm space between regular motor and the chassis or drive shaft on the AMZ then I think it will fit. I will confirm when I can see someone elses AMZ
Old 2015.04.12, 09:56 AM   #37
Jshwaa

DMALMAD,

Would you say that the present brushless controllers for R/C cars (sensored orotherwise) are built with more of an air r/c (ie quad prop) design in mind? I ask because I've never actually toyed with one outside of air r/c units. However, with cars, where your torque load is more firm and direct, I would think that the control would be difficult, as the immediate torque loads/demand are ever changing in a race environment, whereas on an air r/c's propeller the torque loads are not as direct, and a little misappropriated torque output of the motor would not be as critical, if that makes sense...

I guess what I'm asking is whether or not you feel that brushless motor control, as applied to cars, could use another look at, or do you think they are on the right track and improving as of late. Thanks.
Old 2015.04.12, 02:04 PM   #38
DMALMAD

Well with the sensorless motors the torque is massive and way to sudden. When compared to a brushed motor the throttle is like an on-off switch that swithces from slow to fast very abruptly. I think the sensored esc and motor are on the right track but the difference between the feel of my 1/10th tc and my 1/24th tc in terms of throttle smoothness and the ability to modulate the speed is noticable. There is no doubt about it that the higher kv motors are torque monsters but I think the esc's avialable don't really make it easy for a beginner and even experienced racers to be able to control their cars. Like anything there is always room for improvement and I haven't really seen anyone try and improve the sensorless options available and even the only sensored option could use a different throttle curve. I just wonder if the problem is more of a software issue rather than the hardware?

Last edited by DMALMAD; 2015.04.12 at 02:12 PM.
Old 2015.05.12, 09:34 PM   #39
CedMan

IMT tested

Finally get my conversion to IMT, and get this thing to hit to track. Out of the box this things handles much better than I thought it would be. by the end of the run I was already on the pace to challenge my lap record.

Then I broken the knuckle ... that was a very fragile design.

Now I see they have alum version of this, will have to say that ... is a must.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (443.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 2015.05.12, 10:56 PM   #40
DMALMAD

Are you using an optional spring? If so what is is it and where can I get it, I have been looking for some springs that could fit this car and the only ones that I know of I cannot get because they are from a discontinued 1/18th scale.
Old 2015.05.13, 11:04 AM   #41
dameetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedMan View Post
Finally get my conversion to IMT, and get this thing to hit to track. Out of the box this things handles much better than I thought it would be. by the end of the run I was already on the pace to challenge my lap record.

Then I broken the knuckle ... that was a very fragile design.

Now I see they have alum version of this, will have to say that ... is a must.
How does it compare to the AMZ (saw it in the pic)?
dameetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.14, 10:32 AM   #42
CedMan

I found some springs on my box, I think they were used for the AWD rear suspension, probably from Atomic.

This thing has been more stable than the amz, which I raced exclusively for a year, and know very well. I see alot of potential, but that knuckle has to go.
Old 2015.05.14, 10:43 AM   #43
CedMan

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (499.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 2015.05.14, 11:48 AM   #44
DMALMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedMan View Post
that knuckle has to go.
Tell me about it I only raced the car a couple of nights and didn't crash that frequently but ended up breaking 4 of them
Old 2015.05.14, 02:41 PM   #45
CedMan

Oh My, I only have 2 sets and one is already on ... hope my extended bumper solution will help and the alum one coming out soon.