Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.08.28, 08:57 PM   #1
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
September 09, 2006 GTG

ok, thought i would start this off with thoughts for making more of the overland obstacles. ...pulled from the previous thread

here is the website for the pvc material
http://www.suntuf.com/Corrugated-Products.htm

i was thinking about getting the green panel with some brown textured paint
http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp...ct_id=20&SBL=1
Old 2006.08.28, 09:07 PM   #2
arch2b

oh, soy found an awsome motor for the half eight and carisma! forgot the name but it's cheap and fast!

maybe soy will post pictures of his x5 modifications too. htey proved valuable in self righting his overland. as soon as i can find my glue gun, i will be attaching my mirrors back on my x5

look out for the ringer too he's got his open car going and his skills continue to sharpen. by the end of this season i am willing to be i will be coming in last most of the time
Old 2006.08.29, 09:25 AM   #3
soyverde
Hack Job Driver

It's the Rocket 400 motor, found at hobby lobby. Shipping ended up being $2.99 for three of them (discounted for the small package they fit in), so they came out to about $9.30 a piece...quite a deal compared to an x-speed. They are considered stock FET safe (according to the folks over at halfeight.com), but YMMV. You could probably eek a few more mph out of a Speed 400 4.8v, but based on what I have read, that is not the safest option (runs very hot). It seems there aren't that many suppliers for 380/400 size motors, so it is generally accepted knowledge that the Graupner speed 400 6v is probably the exact same motor as the stock MI part...small world.

I did finally get the mini inferno going properly (steering and all). Those stainless cups I mentioned are a very tight fit on the Kyosho plastic pieces...to the point that they shave them a bit. Not certain I'd recommend them, but you're free to have a couple of them if you want, arch.

I'm not sure I'll keep the roof modifications on the X5. They work great on the open RCP, but on that washboard PVC they seem to be more of a hindrance when I flip. Re: the green PVC, let me know if you can't find any, I know the HD local to my work has them, and I'll bring lexan scissors this time.
Old 2006.08.29, 10:00 AM   #4
arch2b

i won't get to hd until friday at the earliest so i'll let you know if i can find the green pvc i'll let you know this weekend. i'll try to find the best color for the textured paint as well. could offer some measure of realism maybe of a dirt path.
let me know if you don't have any spare shocks, i can find a pair of stock shocks you can tighten down rather than spending money on low downs for the front.
Old 2006.08.30, 05:09 AM   #5
arch2b

for you guys with the mini96/30cm tracks, rcp has released options kits for this track, http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22720

Old 2006.09.01, 03:06 PM   #6
arch2b

since this is our hfay day, check out the hfay updates, http://hfay.tinyrc.com/tabid/56/Default.aspx

take it in and lets get some practice and keep moving up the chart
Old 2006.09.02, 02:48 PM   #7
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

BAM BAM BAM! Two guys in the top 5, everyone in the top 20. This is getting pretty exciting. I feel like I have to practice now.

I'll see you guys next week.
Old 2006.09.02, 10:51 PM   #8
arch2b

took me a couple hours of tear down and rebuild but i found the problem with my awd.... the front diff was a bucket full of plastic shavings. so, when we make the switch (if we do) to the cooper, mine will be running rwd instead of awd.
Old 2006.09.03, 08:18 AM   #9
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

I think Bye Bye likes to lock one of his AWD diff's. I am not sure if he locks the front or the rear though. I haven't had a chance to race my 360 in the spec class yet but if people are ready, I could move to the Cooper. I guess we can figure it out this week.
Old 2006.09.03, 03:55 PM   #10
arch2b

soy,
i checked home depot for the currogated panels and was told my local store had discontinued selling them and moved all the stock to fredrick, maryland which is 30-45 minutes from me so i don't think i'll be able to pick up any more of that stuff anytime soon.

i did however buy two shades of brown textured spraypaint. if used on the green panels i mentioned, it could look like a well used offroad trail.

i also have some ideas on how to best cut the sections to make them easy to insert and well secured. i'll post a sketch but basically you trim the panels to have the first inch or so at both ends on both sides left about one inch wider than the track so that they can be placed under the rails while the remaining portion of the sides is cut to fit snugly within the rails.
Old 2006.09.04, 11:10 AM   #11
soyverde
Hack Job Driver

Okay, I'll pick up some (one or two?) of the green ones at the HD near my work, and I'll bring my lexan scissors this time. Will your idea work if I cut them to 34" again? That won't leave a full 1" on either side, but it will still need to be trimmed, and it leaves the third piece a good size to fit between the bump-outs. Alternatively I could cut them to 35". I think there are larger pieces as well, so I might look into just buying one of those.

Regarding the diff problem, I told you so. That front diff was spinning free. Like I said, The Ringer is in the same boat (he ordered two ball diffs from the shop, I believe). If you are going to lock one of the diffs temporarily (easily done with shoe goo or hot glue), make sure you put the locked diff in the back, otherwise it'll start steering like an x-mod (I keed, I keed ).
Old 2006.09.04, 11:17 AM   #12
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Maybe just get one for now. I am working on a couple of sections that will each take 2-3 tiles in length. I will definitely have one ready this week and I am pretty sure I'll have the second one ready also.

I'll take some pictures in the next couple of days to give you guys and idea of what I am thinking of.
Old 2006.09.04, 01:41 PM   #13
arch2b

yep, soy, you were right

good thing i cleaned the overladn up this weekend as well. i took the tiem to clean and oil most of my cars. i'm just hoping my hfay car runs as good as it was last gtg.
Old 2006.09.05, 03:47 PM   #14
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Hey Guys,

Here are some of the OL obstacles I have been working on. The first one is pretty simple. I scavenged a piece of commercial carpet, cut it to 33" and threw a couple of toolboxes under it. It's really easy and it's a lot of fun.

The next one should be where the oil shocks come in handy. I am waiting on some RCP tiles so I can attach the wood molding to it, but here is the idea behind my "rumble section".

I'll post more pictures and probably video when I get it all together. I am hoping to get the tiles this week and be able to try them out Saturday.

Old 2006.09.05, 03:58 PM   #15
arch2b

those should go well with the currrogated pvc sheets! you guys can take the paint i bought back with you to get creative if you wish with the peices as well.
Closed Thread