Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2012.08.17, 02:56 PM   #16
skyler

ATM AWD Front End

Man that's hot!
skyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.08.17, 03:23 PM   #17
Bodom

I assembled mine too.
I like it. Mine knuckles needed some work too to get them to move easy.
It works smooth now. The shocks are perfect. On the floor at home drives better Track experience is needed but I have big hopes.
I have clearance issues with Atomic VDS III though
But it is not bad. I will make it work.

Old 2012.08.17, 04:55 PM   #18
skyler

Bodom AWD

Great pics!
skyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.08.18, 12:36 PM   #19
leonabi76

That's a steal at $31!! I wonder when the corresponding aluminum parts will come out. More pointedly the aluminum shocks. Will regular aluminum knuckles work with this unit?
leonabi76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.08.18, 07:15 PM   #20
Atomic-USA
Customer/dealer support

Yes, alloy would work
Old 2012.09.07, 08:36 AM   #21
danieluki

Sorry , No camber adjustment...?
Would be nice some images of the wheel camber progresion under load....
I am not stil 100% convinced to buy it ... I have the PN front SAS and I think is more tuneable...
danieluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.07, 03:58 PM   #22
danieluki

In this image can be apreciated the right side loaded...
danieluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.23, 01:30 AM   #23
Bodom

I have two questions:
1. Is this the right way to limit suspension travel?
I've putted shims on top of the knuckle.

I had issues with knuckle popping off the lower ball when the suspension fully compresses.

2. Is it normal to have that much toe-out with the stock 0* toe bar?

What have I done wrong?
Old 2012.09.28, 09:08 AM   #24
Bodom

5 days and no comments on my questions
Old 2012.09.28, 09:18 AM   #25
art3ria

Alu dont work..... too much toe-out with 0º
art3ria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.28, 11:14 AM   #26
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

I haven't got one of these yet. The only thing I can suggest is using a +1 tie rod. That should get you close to 0 toe. If not keep going up in toe in tie rods till its there.
Old 2012.09.29, 07:47 AM   #27
Bodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRinger View Post
I haven't got one of these yet. The only thing I can suggest is using a +1 tie rod. That should get you close to 0 toe. If not keep going up in toe in tie rods till its there.
I know that the way to fix it is to use +(something) as tie rod, but I am in confusion that I messed something with the assembly of the suspension since I suppose It has to be 0* with the 0* tie rod.
Old 2012.10.02, 08:32 PM   #28
Cherub1m
Slip Angle Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
I have two questions:
1. Is this the right way to limit suspension travel?
I've putted shims on top of the knuckle.

I had issues with knuckle popping off the lower ball when the suspension fully compresses.
That looks like a good solution however you may have more camber gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
2. Is it normal to have that much toe-out with the stock 0* toe bar?

What have I done wrong?
Yeah thats normal mine is the same way.

However it tracks straight and has very smooth suspension movement and its light weight.

I will write a small review once I get a chance. I just had a chance to run the system on our local track it ran very well, lots of traction.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to my Videos http://www.youtube.com/SlipAngleChaser
Cherub1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.12, 09:48 PM   #29
Cherub1m
Slip Angle Chaser

ATM AWD Front end review

First Look

I finally got my hands on the new ATM AWD front suspension, thanks to Sai Tam from Atomic-USA. I have been waiting for this since Sai posted a picture in Miniz Racer. I’ve had the system on September 29th I could not set it up during our first race at Cruizin with RCs (which was on September 29th) but I had a chance to build the system and bring it by Cruizin at a later date and do some testing.
The instructions were simple and easy to follow. What I like about the system is that it’s made of nylon and fiber which is durable and best of all its light weight.

Set up

First thing after building the system was to checked (before adding the shocks) for binding, there was a small amount of binding on the left lower arm, only thing I did was to remove and reinstall the bottom left metal ball a few times and this improved the suspension movement. It did not take much to get the suspension moving very freely. My next step was to put some grease in the shocks (weight was from some 12 scale grease #6) and install them. After that step, I adjusted the droop with the top droop screws. The suspension movement was very nice, the further the suspension travels there was a small noticeable camber gain, I did not notice any bump steer effect. Next was to mount the rims and tires. Basically I use +1 wide rims and 10 degree AWD Groves in Rear and +2.5 narrow rims with 10 Slic R’s in the front both tires glued after the rim was lined with tire tape. I ran the stock Kyosho rear end, however, (I want to run the new SAS with this new system). Camber is changeable by either getting new knuckles or raising the upper arms (use the systems normal camber gain has the suspension travels up). Caster is not something I noticed that was changeable, maybe Atomic will provide some different upper arms to provide caster changes.
The next step put the car on a track 

Track testing

Day 1 at home

I have a small carpet track at home which is a little bumpy, the car ran extremely well, tracked straight and did not deviated from its trajectory even with the bumps on my track. The steering was amazing a little too much at times but for a tight track that worked very well. However, my small track was not enough, I needed a much bigger track to test out this system and let that Chili reach its full potential. Were could I get this kind of track?... On to Cruizin With RC’s amazing and smooth carpet track.

Day 2 at Cruizin With RC’s

The car did what I expected… steering, loads of steering the back of the car chattered because of so much steering. What I did not expect is the front end remaining planted, normally with that much rear chatter some of the chatter would transfers to the front end, well I got no chatter in the front, in fact it seemed like the front end was just pulling the rear along I had to do some adjustments to the stock rear end. I added some ATM SAS grease to were the knuckles connect to the rear toe bar. With hopes this would reduce the rear end chatter. Next run was much better the chatter was not eliminated, but it was reduced and the car became more drivable. Amazingly enough, even with that much steering the car did not flip (Thank God for the carpet track). Also the car tracked very well in spite of the noticeable front toe out. In short, my hot lap with my stock Kyosho AWD suspension was 15.4 but I consistently hit below 16 sec. With the new system my fastest hot lap was a 15.3 but because of the increased steering I lost some consistency. Also, I think the outside front suspension was traveling so much that the inside rear tire would rise on hard cornering. I think few things that I need to do next time, is use harder compounds on the front; the harder compound would reduce the steering a bit and keep the suspension from traveling too much (or use a front sway bar). Also, I think harder front springs would help reduce the steering and body role a bit which would translate into a more consistent car (The system was nibble, the car changed directions very well in spite of the soft suspension). I see a lot of possibilities with this new system, with some slight tweaking I think I would be able to improve consistency and reduce track times. I had to modify my driving with this system, I had to drive it more like a 2wd. Doing this slight change on my driving I noticed the AWD fitted with the ATM AWD front end entered the corners almost like a 2wd but exited the corner like an AWD, this slight change in driving helped reduce my rear chatter and improved my consistency . Just wanted to mention the knuckles did not pop out at all during testing, it will be great to see this system working with a the new ATM SAS to settle the rear end a bit.

Cons

No caster settings (maybe ATM will make some modification to the upper arms)

Pros

Light weight (5.6 oz more than my stock suspension AWD)
Increases steering (can be a double edge sword)
Easily tuned (droop screw, adjustable shocks…etc)
Easily put together
Well-made and smooth suspension travel
Great looking system
Tunable for any surface

Check out the pictures below

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03742.JPG (330.7 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03743.JPG (306.2 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03736.JPG (264.6 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03738.JPG (310.2 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03739.JPG (326.0 KB, 155 views)

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Cherub1m; 2012.10.13 at 09:32 AM.
Old 2012.10.12, 09:52 PM   #30
Cherub1m
Slip Angle Chaser

More pictures of the New ATM AWD Front end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03737.JPG (328.3 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03740.JPG (287.9 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03741.JPG (335.6 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03747.JPG (327.3 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03748.JPG (271.7 KB, 153 views)