Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > 1/28 Scale Chassis Discussion > Kyosho > Mini-Z Racer MR-02

View Poll Results: Should the new HFAY motor be compulsory? Please do not vote until you have used one.
Yes 8 72.73%
No 1 9.09%
Not Sure 1 9.09%
Dont care 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008.06.15, 05:42 PM   #1
Neomax
UK, Stafford Mini Z Racer

Send a message via AIM to Neomax
PN HFAY Motors - First Impresions!

ok, where shall i start?
Right, what i did.
I took 2 of my cars, one being my HFAY class car and the other my OPEN class car and ran them both on the dyno and the track, then changed the motors for the new PN HFAY class motor and did the same, to compare.
And got some interesting results, as follows.

1st Test.
HFAY car: Single stack 3010 FETS - stock motor. 8t Pinion gear.
Clocks 25kph on the dyno, runs smooth on the track with good top speed and a nice gradual acceleration making it a smooth run around the track.

Changed motor for PN HFAY motor.
Clocks 17kph on the dyno, lacks the same top speed on the track and is now considerably more punchy, especially when you consider this is running an 8t pinion gear, but the punch is quickly adapted to as the top speed is lacking.
On a smaller track i.e. HFAY track, this would probably be a good runner, though i believe stacked FETS would leave this standing.

2nd Test.
OPEN car: Single stack 4562 FETS - X Speed motor. 9t Pinion gear.
Clocks 33kph on the dyno, extremely fast to accelerate, maybe a little too fast for sensible driving! but pretty smooth with a bit of fancy finger work on the throttle, though can be ridiculasly punchy to the untrained finger making it an 'acquired' driving style.

Changed motor for PN HFAY motor.
Clocks 23kph on the dyno, VERY fast to reach top speed, literally, about 1 second to get to top speed, but again, because top speed is not THAT fast this is workable. A few minutes practice and the eager racer will have it mastered, on a track this size (running distance about 70 meters) though i think on a HFAY track this may make life hard. It is very punchy indeed and no amount of turning down the arc is going to help, my throttle is set to
-100% ARC and it still takes off like a rabbit with a rocket up its bum!

So theres the results! i find them interesting as i had heard the these motors were supposed to level out the playing field, so to speak.
I'd heard that it wouldn't matter what FETs you had in they would all run at about the same speed, obviously this isn't the case, one of the lads in our club put a PN HFAY motor in his 2.4 gHz car (which i understand has double stack 3010 FETs as standard) and the single stack 4562's left it standing.
I also ran my HFAY car with the PN HFAY motor and an 8t pinion, along side a car running single stack 3010s with a stock (ready set) motor on a 6t and they performed more or less the same, with a little smoother running from my car because of the 8t.

So it would seem that these motors ARE greatly affected by the FETs that you have fitted, and i forsee double stacked 4562's on the horizon making the HFAY lap times get a little silly!
The question i wonder is: Are these motors going to become mandatory, or are they going to be optional?
I feel that if people are allowed to keep running Ready Set motors, and have whatever FETs they like, it could get a little out of hand, a stock motor is obviously faster than these on top end, so if you run a double stack 4562 FETs, and a Ready Set motor, you should be the fastest thing on the track, rivaling most OPEN class cars.
I know obviously there is going to be an optimum speed for a HFAY track, but still, i can't help but feel this would be better if everyone was MADE to run the new PN HFAY motor.
I would call for it to become mandatory for entry in to the HFAY.

Let me know what you guys think of the new motor and how you feel about them?!

Last edited by Neomax; 2008.06.15 at 06:18 PM.
Neomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.15, 06:06 PM   #2
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

from my testing you need to go up a pinion from what you would usually run on a stock motor,they have the torque to push a bigger pinion as you have found out
more fets do let more current through,which in turn helps this motor open up,my 3x2 f1 flies with the pn motor and around the equivalent of a 9t pinion and 32t spur(belt drive)
once a bigger pinion was installed on both my hfay awd and mr02 i could keep up with nobby and his s5 motor car easily(as well as making them more drivable)
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
The uk's premier shop for mini-z
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
mk2kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.16, 04:26 AM   #3
Programmers
iTomCash

Thanks for such a comprehensive thread on your results Mal, that was quite an interesting read.

Up until last night I would have said:

People SHOULD be allowed to use a stock motor or a S6 motor because if they're a newcomer then it could be a 3 week postal wait for them to get started.

But after seeing the difference for myself and then reading your comparisons I wouldn't even think twice about it.

The S6 motor should be mandatory IMO.

I think we should all be running the same motor in every part of the world.
Programmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.16, 12:49 PM   #4
Tjay

Definitely fet your cars with the HFAY/PN stock motors. You'll need that little extra boost.

"It is very punchy indeed and no amount of turning down the arc is going to help, my throttle is set to
-100% ARC and it still takes off like a rabbit with a rocket up its bum!"

Lower down your high point to 65-75.
Tjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.20, 08:28 AM   #5
Neomax

Come on lads, your telling me out of 170 views of this thread only 6 of you have used the new motors?
Come on, get some input down, lets hear what ya think about them?
VOTE!
Old 2008.06.20, 02:52 PM   #6
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Ive used the heck out of a few of them. Ive been running one in each of my AWDs (one w/ single layer of 4562s, and one w/ double layer of 4562s) and I like the motor. To me it seems stronger than a stock motor. I have one stock motor thats probably just as fast, but for the most part, this is a faster motor on the track lap after lap. I really like the car on the single layer of 4562s. Its very linear, and easy to control while still having anough punch to pass people on exit if I hit my line right. With the double 4562s its almost just like driving my AWD with the speedyAWD with 3010 FETs.

My dad is also running 5 or 6 of these motors in various cars. In his AWDs we have done a lot of track testing and comparisions. He was coming from stock motors so it was easier for us to do the testing with his cars. He is also running 3010 FETs on all of his cars. He cut his fast lap by almost .5 seconds (down to 8.75 from 9.25), and has added a lap and a half to his 5 minute times. He is very consistant with this motor, and while he never used to have the power to overtake in a turn, he does now. Of course hes not overtaking people with stacked FETs and hot motors, but he is overtaking people He has always been one of the cleanest (if not the cleanest) drivers at our track. That hasnt changed, and now hes got a little more speed.

Oh, and Im running one in my 94MM 02 stock car. It is fixed with a single layer of 4562s. With a 10 tooth pinion, its faster than it was on the speedy07 with 3010s and 8 tooth. With a double stack, this car would fly.

Im hoping to make it to the PN eastern regional. If I do, this car will be well equipped IMO, even going against cars with 2x2 stacks.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.23, 04:45 PM   #7
kryten

Send a message via MSN to kryten
I did vote,just never posted.As the guy in question running the 2.4ghz car,from Neomax's first post i was quite shocked at the difference between the two cars running the same motor.Although at that time i had a 6t pinion in. I was more impressed with the motor in my F1 car with 1t higher pinion.I do plan on getting my home track out to test some more before the S6 opener.

EDIT: Do you intend to do any tests with the AWD and this motor too?
kryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.24, 08:27 AM   #8
Neomax

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post

EDIT: Do you intend to do any tests with the AWD and this motor too?
Nah, not me personally, because my AWD is set up for drifting so i wouldn't see much change, though Tom has an AWD set up for racing, it would be better done in one set for race rather than drift!
Old 2008.06.24, 11:02 AM   #9
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

we had a full qualifier and a final with one of these in each car,my awd wasnt much different to the mr02's.
all in i found it alot easier to drive and much closer racing
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
The uk's premier shop for mini-z
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
mk2kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.24, 12:28 PM   #10
Jonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2kompressor View Post
we had a full qualifier and a final with one of these in each car,my awd wasnt much different to the mr02's.
all in i found it alot easier to drive and much closer racing
Agreed, very similar performance and FET for FET wise but again the AWD is strong in the infield sections and I found I had to be spot on to keep advantage. It's always fun against the only AWD driver at the club

Jonny
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.03, 08:16 AM   #11
Neomax

Good to hear from you again Jonny, you seemed to disappear for a while there.
I'm just disappointed that with 11,392 members the poll only got 10 votes.