Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.11.13, 01:00 AM   #1
reggiethedorf
Registered Looser

Send a message via MSN to reggiethedorf
saving weight on the stock chassis

i been cutting small holes in my battery clip, and making other little holes in the bottom of the battery part of the chassis to relieve boredom and save weight. any ideas on any big areas that can be shaved to save some serious weight ? i already am running an alu motor mount so thats pretty weight saving i guess
reggiethedorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.13, 01:33 AM   #2
gulfclk
CT03 is coming ...

the only one who can tell you if the alu motor mount is weight saving or not is ... the scale! Not all alu motor mounts are lighter.

Saving weight is one thing ... taking weight of the moving parts is another one.

I run the stock diff (with some mods of course) where the spur is perforated. My rims are plastic ones .... perforated of course.

Front body clips is a nice area to take away some material, PCB cover, .....

CT-03 RULES!!!, Renault F1 2004 version full option, MR-02 RM full option, BMW X5 on MR-01 MM chassis

[COLOR=DarkOrange]
gulfclk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.18, 09:45 PM   #3
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
I seen an MR01 done up with holes in the chassis to lighten it, just about everything was opened up on it. As a rule of thumb I don't think that is a very good idea, mostly because you weaken anything you do far as making holes in them. You remove the body, batteries, and motor, these cars weight next to nothing as it is. I have made holes in the battery clips, not to save weight but to allow cool air around the batteries. Any holes in the chassis itself will cause a "stress riser" where cracks will come. I like to stick with the plastic parts to save weight, any alloy on these things add some weight. Alloy is nice if you want strength though. I have seen chassis cut to make room for fets, and that is it.

An old thread I seen.

Last edited by HammerZ; 2005.11.18 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Add a link.
HammerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.21, 01:30 PM   #4
Hypocrisy

ti screws, ti diff axle, and as much stock plastic as possible, aluminium is heavier than plastic. might have the motor mount in alu.
Hypocrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.21, 02:15 PM   #5
michvin

I know couple of very good drivers and they never tried to decrease the weight of the chassis.... they select lower bodies, they change the geometry of the wing and say that it matters, but weight.... never saw them playing with it
Old 2005.11.21, 08:49 PM   #6
G'ZOX

I got a set of sweet Square titanium chassis screws from the shop. cheap AND they look cool. they look like they're still in stock too! can't go wrong with Square parts..
Old 2005.11.21, 11:58 PM   #7
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
Titanium screws are a better way than cutting holes in your chassis. All the cutting will do is make it act like a wet noodle, till it breaks in the middle of a heat. The rigidity of the old MR01 chassis was because of the PCB cover. The MR02 and the MR015 chassis are way stiffer than the old box MR01's.
Old 2005.12.05, 01:19 PM   #8
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiethedorf
to relieve boredom
that is funny

I would imagine that the chassis integrity and supporting bits (covers, etc) will be compromised by perferating it (as mentioned). When i raced 1/12 scale pans the idea was to lighten everything you could w/o reducing the strength of the chassis. I like the idea of lightening the drivetrain bits and fasteners....similar to a real car where you would run titanium valvetrain bits, lighter flywheel and lighter wheels (sprung AND unsprung weight reduction), you could run lightened bit from the pinion on down the chain to the ground.
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.12.05, 04:28 PM   #9
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Send a message via MSN to Twenty-Se7en
IMO, sacrificing durability for weight is a bad idea that will end up costing you $$$.
Twenty-Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.12.07, 12:17 AM   #10
Roger

Do this to your battery holders:

I've noticed that it freed up my car a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1144.JPG (139.3 KB, 35 views)
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote