Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.02.23, 01:09 PM   #16
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Send a message via AIM to ruknd@aol.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b
great suggestions! i got lots of rocks outside

how expensive is the expanding foam? to make the run on my track, i would think it would cost a small fortune
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...4+3700&pos=n03

seems like $10 per can...This stuff expands ALOT...I'd say a can would make a nice mound on a tile and given the fact you'd wand some logs, rocky areas, flat to hill...4 or 5 cans should do the whole strip...
ruknd@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.02.23, 02:11 PM   #17
RCPMini-z
rcptracks.com

I have a bunch of foam stored at the shop that I use to make the Kyosho off road RCX displays. I can laminate some 12" tall blocks to the surface of some RCP tiles, for you guys to experiment with. I can leave the interlocking link exposed so it can be joined to your track at any location. You can use a knife to carve mountains, jumps and hills in each tile. You could put them in a row and carve one large section of off road terrain. After carving you can glue just about any kind of obstacle to the foam like twigs, branches, rocks, etc. Home Depot sells a rubber paint for outside stucco walls from which I use to cover my Kyosho displays. It comes in about 30 different colors. It is an excellent sealer for the foam and makes the surface look real.

If I get some time this weekend I will make a few prototype mountain tiles.

Do you think people would be interested in pre-made (like the Kyosho displays) mountain tiles for their RCP Tracks?

OR

Do you think people would rather have the foam block laminated to the tiles and do the carving and painting themselves?
RCPMini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.02.23, 02:16 PM   #18
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPMini-z
...Do you think people would be interested in pre-made (like the Kyosho displays) mountain tiles for their RCP Tracks?

OR

Do you think people would rather have the foam block laminated to the tiles and do the carving and painting themselves?
are you kidding i would love them! although i think overland fans would prefer the do it yourself kits, i've seen what you can do and would be very excited to try out some of your pre-made mountain tiles. heck, i'd be happy to try either of the options. it would be simply AWSOME if i could have the back overland trail look like the foam tracks you've made that tnb now has.
you should definatley add these tile ideas to the indivdual tile selcetions for purchase

Last edited by arch2b; 2005.02.23 at 02:19 PM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.02.23, 02:18 PM   #19
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Send a message via AIM to ruknd@aol.com
I think it would be nice to make my own...there could bne bridges and the like plus it would be easier for people with existing RCPs to make them fit to their layout. Myself, if you did that I'd be up for a nice strip or 5 or 6 plus some off road expanders to fill in the gaps. Once it gets nicer out I'm gonna pick up a mini 96 and some lane expanders. I was going to make the back section two lanes, the outside would be an off road and the inside would be regular. These blocks would be a nice project to get me started.
ruknd@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.02.23, 03:05 PM   #20
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b
great suggestions! i got lots of rocks outside

how expensive is the expanding foam? to make the run on my track, i would think it would cost a small fortune
The stuff I got is 5.39 a can, but it's only 12 oz. Here's a pic. I think one can will do about 3 square feet. I am still waiting for it to expand though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foam.JPG (72.8 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Spoon; 2005.02.23 at 03:17 PM.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.02.23, 03:25 PM   #21
noez
bia

Hey that would be awesome if they came pre-made.RCP,if you need any testers, me and arch are the right persons for the job.
OVERLAND Land cruiser #239

How can you quit quitting?
noez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.02.23, 03:33 PM   #22
Off-Rodder

I was thinking about doing the same thing (where does the time go!), except with galvanized mesh. The way it can be bent, twisted, rippled, etc. It would be like re-bar in concrete, only spray foam.

As for embedding rocks, my plan was to wrap each rock in saran once or twice, place them in the foam before it sets, then cut them out, and remove the saran for a custom mold, but a "clean" rock.
Heh. Looks silly when I type that.
Off-Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.02.23, 04:21 PM   #23
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-Rodder
I was thinking about doing the same thing (where does the time go!), except with galvanized mesh. The way it can be bent, twisted, rippled, etc. It would be like re-bar in concrete, only spray foam.

As for embedding rocks, my plan was to wrap each rock in saran once or twice, place them in the foam before it sets, then cut them out, and remove the saran for a custom mold, but a "clean" rock.
Heh. Looks silly when I type that.
If you try it...Let me know how that mold thing works out. Would you then make the fake rocks out of more expanding foam? That would keep it light.

The galvanized mesh sounds like a good idea too. I am using cardboard and styrofoam and anything else I can find for a base for some serious paper mache action.
Old 2005.02.23, 05:10 PM   #24
Off-Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon
If you try it...Let me know how that mold thing works out. Would you then make the fake rocks out of more expanding foam? That would keep it light.

The galvanized mesh sounds like a good idea too. I am using cardboard and styrofoam and anything else I can find for a base for some serious paper mache action.
Well I probably didn't do a great job of explaining what I was thinking. Last year I went to the local sand and gravel yard, and picked up 100+ lb of rocks in various sizes & shapes for about $10. Some are flat & narrow for the "bridges," some are blocky for the supports, etc. I got a little more than I can fit into a milk crate.

When I bought them, I was thinking of landscaping an area that was Overland friendly.

Now I'm also thinking in terms of an indoor course. Maybe use some flat rocks embedded sideways in the foam "frame," which would sit at an angle. Thus, a vertical hill-climb, plus a zig-zagging balance act.

I suppose I could gouge out places to stick the rocks in rather than the saran wrap thing. Still just in the planning (dreaming) phase.
Old 2005.02.23, 07:43 PM   #25
dog
sit! stay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPMini-z

Do you think people would be interested in pre-made (like the Kyosho displays) mountain tiles for their RCP Tracks?

OR

which is cheaper?

actually, i think vertically adjustable track would be good... in other words something that could be extended across stuff like books, pillows, furniture and such. it would be cool to reinforce it with stiff wire or something so it could be shaped or contoured... and so it wouldn't sag or buckle...
Old 2005.02.24, 01:42 PM   #26
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
Well I probably didn't do a great job of explaining what I was thinking. Last year I went to the local sand and gravel yard, and picked up 100+ lb of rocks in various sizes & shapes for about $10. Some are flat & narrow for the "bridges," some are blocky for the supports, etc. I got a little more than I can fit into a milk crate.

When I bought them, I was thinking of landscaping an area that was Overland friendly.

Now I'm also thinking in terms of an indoor course. Maybe use some flat rocks embedded sideways in the foam "frame," which would sit at an angle. Thus, a vertical hill-climb, plus a zig-zagging balance act.

I suppose I could gouge out places to stick the rocks in rather than the saran wrap thing. Still just in the planning (dreaming) phase.

Ok, I think I understand a little better now.

I guess the mesh would be the frame? and the foam would get sprayed onto that then you would embed the rocks into the foam?

One question though...why would you want to remove the rock after you have it set? I guess I am thinking you could skip the saran wrap step and just embed the rocks into your foam.

Either way, if you get something that works with the faom and rocks, let us know. It would be cool to see it.
Old 2005.02.27, 05:16 AM   #27
Ryan Gardner

Even better idea... if you have the time... go with fiberglass

I just got done building my overland trial course out of fiberglass. The process is long, and you will need at least two people working on it to get it to work - but it's not too bad. I took a lot of wrong turns on the way - but my final product is soooo much fun to crawl around on.

I'll post pics under another topic about it later on tomorrow or Monday.

It's 4AM here - and I've just been crawling on it for the past 2 hours.

The basic idea: Go with fiberglass.

Buy some aluminum screen door screen from a home improvement store. Bend it in the shape you want (it helps to put boxes beneath). Cover the screen with plastic (or something... I used paper mache first because I was stupid and thought that would work for a course... nope...) Put fiberglass over that. Put a bunch of body filler (bondo) on the part you want to be your main road... texturize it with a coarse spounge when it it hardening... paint it with appropriate paint with sand or some other texture in it.

Total cost would end up being about $75 for all your stuff. You get a nice buzz, and a sweet track. I'll post more info on it when I'm able to think coherently again. I'll post pics on Monday probably.

Last edited by Ryan Gardner; 2005.02.27 at 05:19 AM.
Ryan Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.02.28, 04:54 PM   #28
Off-Rodder

"One question though...why would you want to remove the rock after you have it set? I guess I am thinking you could skip the saran wrap step and just embed the rocks into your foam."
In my mind's eye--since I haven't even started working on this(!)--I was thinking about either controlling the spray foam, or setting things up so I didn't have to worry about controlling it. "Wrapping" the rocks was the solution when I stopped thinking about it. Thinking about it again, heh, it's ROCKS for Pete sake. Scrape it off! Doy!
Old 2005.03.07, 12:26 PM   #29
Off-Rodder

I remember why I thought I should wrap the rocks now.

Painting.

I knew there was a better reason.
Saran wrap would allow me to spray paint the foam without marking the rocks.

Whew. I feel better now that I know I haven't lost it.
Old 2005.03.07, 01:55 PM   #30
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
I remember why I thought I should wrap the rocks now.

Painting.

I knew there was a better reason.
Saran wrap would allow me to spray paint the foam without marking the rocks.

Whew. I feel better now that I know I haven't lost it.
Now THAT makes sense!

By the way, I got my paper mache structures built. I'll have to post some pictures. It took way too long, I think I'll just build jumps out of spare carpet next time.