Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Mini RC

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 2007.09.21, 11:31 AM   #61
RussF
Salt Lake Mini-Z

Excellent thread Kel! I really enjoyed it. I have a couple questions. In the beggining you tested the box stock setup on you speed checker with the energizer batteries at around 21kph. Later in the thread you mentioned the motro being fully broke in and the Intellect batteries kicking in, and also the addition of bearings. What is the speed now?

Also is Radio Shack still having that deal? Sound like a great deal to me. I was in a RS about a month ago and they still had EVO's at $50 and no freebies.

Thanks again for the great info.
RussF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.21, 05:54 PM   #62
Kel

Sorry I havent updated in a while, been busy latley. As for the speed of it now, it has increased by 1kph, but the real advantage is the increase in acceleration speed. The ugrades give it more punch and allow it to get faster times on the track, by faster speeds out of corners. My track is mostly turns(most tracks for that matter) and the accell. is much more important than overall top speed.

As for the Radioshack discount, I don't think they have the exact deal I got, but they should be reasonably marked down. It is becoming harder and harder to come across Xmods now, so I would grab one while you can. I think Radioshack has stopped making them for good.

I did get a chance to drop in the stage 2 motor for some testing and found that is is a decent motor, although it runs a little hot. The torque is about the same as a stock motor, maybe a little more after broken in, and the top speed is much better than the stock and noticable on the track. I am now in the process of putting a stage 2 in an atomic bb case, which should have good results and run a little cooler.
Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.24, 11:33 AM   #63
RussF
Salt Lake Mini-Z

Kel,
Ok so I went to a couple RS' and found one Scion for $24.97. I picked up three uprades (not included ) but on sale. I got the spring kit, the lowering kit, and the AWD. I opened the case for the car and took out the chassis. There is a ton of slop in the wheels. Also they look different sizes. The ones on the left are skinny and have a ridge in the middle of them and the ones on the right are wider and semi flat. I'm sure I can move them around but I was looking at the tires in your first post and they seem all pretty flat and good. Ok now for the questions.
1. Did the bearings really take out most of that slop in the wheels? The one I got is horrible and I just dont see bearings making a significant difference in slop.
2. What brand of bearings did you use? Where did you get them?
3. Could you post a list of the hop ups with brands and maybe links that you feel are worth while?

Thanks alot for your help. I've been out of it for awhile and for around $50 in car and hop-ups it got me re-interested.
Old 2007.09.24, 11:36 AM   #64
RussF
Salt Lake Mini-Z

Oh!! BTW the manager at the RS I went to said they (store managers) were told that there would be new Xmods coming out for Xmas. Dont know how true that is but if it is, Woohoo!
Old 2007.09.24, 06:25 PM   #65
Kel

Bash-N-Trash-nice find on the scion. Yes, the stock xmods have a lot of wheel slop, but the bearings fix most of it, which is why they should be at the top of your list. I use VXB bearing off ebay. They spin better and smoother than radioshack's and are a lot cheaper. If you get radioshack bearings, make sure to clean them out with a light motor spray to free them up a bit and get rid of the grease. Don't even bother getting the sealed bearings, the xmod knuckles protect the bearings enough from dirt,dust,etc. so they are not needed. The bearings remove about 90% of the wheel slop.

As for the hop-up list, check back a page and I have a complete list of everything I used. Most of the mods can be done with Radioshack upgrades, while the alloy and batteries can be found on ebay, atomicmod, and the shop here. Just search around on those sites and ouy will find the stuff I used and some Mini-Z bodies.

I haven't heard anything about new xmods being released. If anything it will just be a new body on the same old chassis with a $50 price tag.
Old 2007.09.24, 06:41 PM   #66
FastTRX

I've been to most of the RS's in my area and I can't seem to find any EVOs...just the new camaro/cop car versions. They have the upgrades but no cars. I wish I could find one for $24.95!!! The last time I messed around with Xmods was when the Gen 1's came out and I took my original RSX back twice until I got one that worked!!

Great write up Kel, you've motivated me to find another car. If they're as cheap as you guys say...I can't beat it!!
FastTRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.25, 09:06 AM   #67
RussF
Salt Lake Mini-Z

FastTRX,
On Ebay there are quite a few. One guy in particular has a Scion with bearings, lights, and AWD hopups all new for $25 plus $10 shipping. Not bad.

Kel,
Thanks, I thought you had a list somewhere already I just didnt see it when I was looking.
Old 2007.09.25, 09:51 AM   #68
FastTRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash_N_Thrash
FastTRX,
On Ebay there are quite a few. One guy in particular has a Scion with bearings, lights, and AWD hopups all new for $25 plus $10 shipping. Not bad.

Kel,
Thanks, I thought you had a list somewhere already I just didnt see it when I was looking.
Bash, hey thanks for the tip...I may check that out. I called EVERY RS within 50 miles from my house and not one had any of the older EVOs...just transformers.
Old 2007.10.05, 12:28 AM   #69
yamar6

i just finished my evo. iwaver board and all gpm parts.it runs great im going to stack fets and put the new pn awd motor in it.if anybody wants to put in the iwaver board or mini z make shure you put the sevo motor in it.
yamar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.08, 10:43 PM   #70
FastTRX

Kel, it's been while since your last post about your Evo. Just wondering how progress has come with your Xmod (hopefully you haven't given up on it and moved on). I'm in the process of building a camaro and I'm looking for a better motor to run. What motors have you experimented with? Which are safe for the Evo's board? I have the same goals as you...faster on the track..so it's not about all out speed for me, just a nice motor that will pull hard on the track. Looking forward to a reply. Thanks!
Old 2007.10.08, 11:06 PM   #71
Used2xmodding
Stugotz

Send a message via AIM to Used2xmodding Send a message via MSN to Used2xmodding
the evo fets using non liths can handle a pn fet stock motor actually if they make it anymore

very fast

I have experience with xmods
Used2xmodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.09, 11:55 AM   #72
FastTRX

I want something with good torque...I see that the PN SpeedyAWD motor is a 43 turn motor...would this be safe for the Xmod? Would this be safe on a Z with 3004 FETs? The extra torque of an AWD motor would be great.

Used2Xmodding....I can tell you have experience from your username!

I'm thinking about trying a FET safe...
Old 2007.10.14, 10:24 AM   #73
Kel

An Update

I finally finished putting together a good motor for the EVO. I tried numerous things including the atomic can, but had problems with gear mesh and the motor moving around on me in the chassis. My current setup is a stage 2 motor with a PN ball-bearing motor can and carbon brushes. I find this setup to have plenty of speed for my track, and more than enough torque. I am using stock gearing also.

To make the motor sit properly in the chassis, you must put a small piece of electrical tape or similar between the motor and the clear spacer. This is because the PN cans are slightly smaller and tend to slide around after they are screwed down. This seemed to keep it nice and tight after it is screwed in, and makes the gear mesh perfect. It is not needed for the stock motor cans, only the PN and atomic cans.

The piece does not need to be large at all, just big enough to cover the bottom part of the clear spacer and some of the side walls to prevent left to right movement.

Here are some pics of the motor.

I used the heat-sink motor plate to hold down the motor. This is not really needed because the motor runs fairly cool, but it does hold down the motor tighter.

Also, I put some heat-shirnk tubing around the base of the antenna, as you can see in the pics. This is just a safety precaution by protecting the receiver from being fried. If the antenna touches the motor while it is being powered, and the antenna is very close to the motor, the receiver may fry or it may cause some loss of range. I just used the smallest heat-shrink I could find at Lowes and it wroked great for this purpose.

FastTRX- you may want to try out this motor setup, it has plenty of torque and the FETs dont get hot when running it. The ball-bearings create a smooth power band, and reduce the amount of amps being pulled from the motor, meaning it is much safer on the FETs.
Old 2007.10.14, 06:53 PM   #74
FastTRX

Hmm...I've been doing some thinking about my setup and I've played around with different things this week. I like how you removed the rear body clip holder to allow the suspension a little better movement...as well as save some weight. I did the same thing but I cant keep the camaro (bumble bee evo) body on the chassis...one slight tap of the wall and the body comes apart of the chassis and rubs the tires making the car bog and slow down. I'm working on a fix for this...I'll post some pics.

I also trimmed the front clip on the camaro....the front suspension barely was able to move and looked twisted...I took care of this by taking my dremel to the front clip...the suspension works great now...way smoother.

I like your motor setup. I never thought of going to a BB can. I considered doing the SpinBrush Hybrid motor (did this with my Gen 1 stage 2 motors and it worked quite well for me) and maybe usinga thicker guage wire. I was also considering neo mags...or trying the PN Fet safe like Used2Xmodding suggested. I'm putting an order in for some stuff soon...

In the meantime I just got my MR02 from pinoyboy (thanks again Hank!) and I've been playing with this...what a blast...the handling is sooo great. Now if I can get my Evo handling this well....

Kel....food for thought...would you suggest adding alloy front knuckles? I'm really trying to keep my weight down...and I've been doing some shaving here and there....I'm just really worried about the quality of the cheap stock ones...and I'm wanting to upgrade to stronger...but dont want the extra weight. I guess it's all a compromise in the end...

BTW...have you had any issues with the stock servo gears? I tore one up this past weekend and lost a bit of steering. I tore into the servo assembly and flipped the stripped gear and realigned it and its worked good so far. Just worried about it in the future as my car takes some hard hits. I'll get some pics up soon if its okay with you Kel...seeing how this is your thread.
Old 2007.10.15, 05:11 PM   #75
Used2xmodding
Stugotz

Send a message via AIM to Used2xmodding Send a message via MSN to Used2xmodding
i am going to put an micro t board in an xmod evo awd

Or i can rebuild my t

How can i hook up a propulse system in an xmod

I have futaba 2pl receiver unit i can probabky hook up custom servo and maybe do gen 1 or ill install into a z somehow

ur wasting ur money on that xmod , i know i was into it for a year, If i were u i would save up and buy a 02 readyset and use the xmods for fun
Used2xmodding is offline   Reply With Quote