Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2012.07.31, 08:22 PM   #1
mini-z
Administrator

Lightbulb Saline Summerfest (August 11th 2012) Coordination Thread

Summerfest is only a week and a half away - thought it would be a good idea to get a coordination thread up so that we can make sure everyone's on the same page and we've got everything covered. So far, Chuck, John, Bryan, Okabe, Mrs. Mini-Z, and myself are in; Lawrence has to work that day so is out - Norman is a maybe. Anyone else up for helping - we'd love to have you!

Check out last year's thread for a recap of what the event is like - this is our 3rd year doing it (or 4th if you include the first year when we got rained out!) but we're always looking for ways to improve - I could have sworn we'd assembled some "notes to selves" for next year in that thread but I'm not seeing them there - if anyone knows what I'm talking about, please point me to the correct spot...?

Chuck has got the E-Z Ups and transport of said shelters covered - hoping to maybe cover the track or a portion of it this year to help abate the heat - in fact, Chuck, do you know what the dimensions are so we can assess feasibility of this?

I will of course bring cars, parts, batteries, etc. I need everyone to bring tools, and most critically, transponders. If we can get a quick transponder count now in fact, that would be really helpful.

Racing is 12:30-2:30pm - in the past, I've gone in the early AM to set up the track, and then we've met at 11 to start charging and setting up cars etc. - this will probably be the plan this year too. I'll post more details soon and get some checklists together etc. to make sure we've got everything covered (or more likely, I will intend to do so, and then Mrs. Mini-Z will pick up my slack! ). In the meantime, if everyone can just confirm they are following the thread, and share any thoughts/feedback/ideas/etc., that would be great. Thanks Dojo Members!!!
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.31, 08:33 PM   #2
mini-z
Administrator

Wink

Oh, and for everyone's convenience vs. having to refer back to the 2010 thread, here's both the location and street view in one handy link!
Old 2012.07.31, 09:43 PM   #3
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
curious but do you get any industry types interested in the scale at these events? with 3d printing, just about anyone can get a body on a mini-z. there are local manufacturers that could be utilizing downtime and resources in machinery to produce small run products like custom laser inscribed pit mats, etc.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.08.01, 09:05 AM   #4
YoYo-Pete
Wait! My pants are wrong!

Thumbs up

I got a 13' E-Z up... It's big, has vent on top to get hot air out. If you want me to bring, let me know.

I should still have my transponder unless something weird happened at last race (oh so long ago). Will bring it as well.

Dont remember if we did it last year, but we should have a "Top Gear" style leaderboard where you get your name & time up. How many races did we do last year, maybe I could pick up some magnetic labels if there is something to stick them on. That way we dont have to rewrite a white board or whatever.

Camp chairs? I'll bring the ones I have.. I think all but one died from my camp season this year. :P

I'm excited. It's fun, plus we all havent seen each other in a while.
Old 2012.08.01, 08:25 PM   #5
mini-z
Administrator

That would be great - please do bring the E-Z Up and chairs for sure! I love the Top Gear idea too - brilliant!!!
Old 2012.08.01, 08:29 PM   #6
mini-z
Administrator

Oh, and to answer your question, we had 17.25 races last year (last one got rained out) - but we only need to track the top times in each age bracket (i.e. 6 total vs. 6 per race).
Old 2012.08.02, 08:01 AM   #7
YoYo-Pete

I thought it would be cool for the kids to write their name on something and then it gets put in place for the day. Should I get magnetic labels then? Will there be something to stick them on?

20 races * 6 drivers = 120 labels?

Last edited by YoYo-Pete; 2012.08.02 at 08:10 AM.
YoYo-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.08.02, 08:06 AM   #8
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i've often wanted to do something similar and struggled to find a cost efficient means. i had already purchased letter size magnetic pages from avery that can be cut into strips. it would be ideal if these were also dry erase to they could be easily reused but i could not find something like that. i have seen magnetic tape that is smooth and may work with dry erase markers but never tried it.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.08.02, 06:33 PM   #9
mini-z
Administrator

Thumbs up

Awesome! I have an IKEA thing a bit like this, but shorter/wider - I think we should keep it to just top three in each category though - 120 names will be a big coordination effort and we will need all resources dedicated to repairs and charging. Not sure what we will attach it to though - need an easel or something...?
Old 2012.08.02, 06:35 PM   #10
mini-z
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
curious but do you get any industry types interested in the scale at these events? with 3d printing, just about anyone can get a body on a mini-z. there are local manufacturers that could be utilizing downtime and resources in machinery to produce small run products like custom laser inscribed pit mats, etc.
Missed this one earlier; best opp. for this would likely have been Maker Faire at the Henry Ford - this one is mostly kids with the occasional parent. I do have a good 3D printing connection though!
Old 2012.08.03, 06:00 PM   #11
Mrs Mini-Z
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-z View Post
Awesome! I have an IKEA thing a bit like this, but shorter/wider - I think we should keep it to just top three in each category though - 120 names will be a big coordination effort and we will need all resources dedicated to repairs and charging. Not sure what we will attach it to though - need an easel or something...?

Hi Guys,
Today I went to Hobby Lobby and got some white board poster (who knew it existed) to affix to the adhesive magnets I got, so we should be all set for the Top Gear Leader board. Thanks for the great idea John.

Most kids just come around for one go and don't really care about their standings, but for the few who do, this will be perfect for them to check on their status!
Mrs Mini-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.08.04, 10:15 PM   #12
YoYo-Pete

Awesome! I'm really excited.
Old 2012.08.06, 06:44 PM   #13
mini-z
Administrator

Thumbs up

BT and I did a quick shakedown of all the cars yesterday and everything is in great shape for the most part; couple little issues that I should be able to sort; will post anything outstanding after that. Biggest thing right now is transponders - can everyone who will be bringing one and hasn't chimed in already please do so ASAP?

Will post my full checklist later for input too.
Old 2012.08.06, 06:55 PM   #14
mini-z
Administrator

Smile

Oh, and I have also embarked on a massive charging project to sort the wheat from the chaff in the battery pile. Shout out to Arch2b for the donor cells!
Old 2012.08.09, 12:04 PM   #15
MRDAVT
nihon-jin

I have #22 transponder and will bring it.
MRDAVT is offline   Reply With Quote