Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.11.17, 04:36 PM   #16
toyotaland369
BMW M3

thats a nice lookin car, but are you going to be strictly racing on a track with out a lot of bumps or do you also wanna use it for fun?? because if you use it for fun the chassis will get scratched up a lot and broken and the woven graphite is usually expensive.
Old 2003.11.17, 05:07 PM   #17
ProfoxCG

Send a message via AIM to ProfoxCG
yeah that is true, mostly for racing ,
ProfoxCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.11.17, 08:18 PM   #18
davkin
Master of My Mini Domain

You're making me jealous with that dirt oval track Toyota!

David
davkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.11.17, 08:21 PM   #19
toyotaland369
BMW M3

we get a lot of people racin which makes it wicked fun.... we just had a classic saturday. there was over 100 people there. we have about four classics a year summer, winter, fall, and spring
Old 2003.11.17, 08:31 PM   #20
davkin
Master of My Mini Domain

My first touring race car was an Ofna, and it was very good, but getting parts for it was tough here. I later bought a TC3, and while it was fast and parts were readily available, it broke quite easily. Around here the joke is that the TC3 is made of glass. So, there are a couple other things to consider. You'll want to check you're local hobby shop and see what cars they stock parts for. I'd be very suprised if they stock X-ray parts. It's not much fun to have to wait a week or two and possibly miss a race day because you are waiting for parts to come in the mail. Also, how confident are you in your driving skills and what kind of barriers does you local track use? If you are new at 1/10 scale and your track uses 2X4's for barriers be prepared to spend a lot of money buying parts if you race a TC3. However if you are confident in your skills, and the other drivers are good as well and don't generally punt people into the boards, (a problem we had here that prompted me to sell off my TC3 and quit weekly on-road racing.) then you may be okay with the TC3. Some people may laugh at this suggestion, but for someone that's new to 1/10 racing I'd suggest the Tamiya TL01-LA. They are cheap, your local hobby store probably stocks parts and they are very durable, and virtually maintenance free. They are adjustable enough to get a beginner dialed but not so adjustable as to cause you to dial yourself out. It has only gear diffs, but for a beginner I consider that a plus, ball diffs can even give a veteran racer fits, and are maintenance intensive. The TL01-LA will be a bit heavier than other race specific cars, but when you're a newbie your driving ability will be much more a concern than a few ounces of weight. So, in a nutshell, if you are newbie get a TL01-LA and run that for a season until you get pretty good, (there are some veterans that continue to run that car competitively!) then next season grab that TC3 you are lusting after and you can have the TL01 for just fun play or a backup.

David
davkin is offline   Reply With Quote