Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.12.28, 01:37 PM   #1
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Send a message via AIM to ruknd@aol.com
1/10 battery question...

...as I get back into this hobby I notice the insane price of matched cells. My query is...is there a big difference between matched and unmatched cells? AFer building a pack it seems to cost about $100 or so. I see on T o we r they have a box of quality orion cells that arent matched at about 125 for 24 or so cells...and cheap battteies.com is even cheaper for 3300s. What will I see if I use these non-matched cells?
ruknd@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.28, 02:51 PM   #2
G-Class
Big Slugger

Matched cells are more expensive because they test the batteries before they solder them together to make a pack. I think they test voltage, amps, capacity, and other stuff like that so that they discharge and charge evenly. As far as performance, I'm not sure there if there is a huge difference or not. My brother had the same battery pack that wasn't a matched cell pack that lasted 5-6 years and never had a problem with it. RC Car Action's website probably has a article them.

My Gallery NEW OL PICS UPDATED:07/27/2006

"There's a momentary pause while a Nomex finger stabs at any button relating to safety." Top Gear Magazine FEBRUARY 2007
G-Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.28, 03:01 PM   #3
TNB
Pet Human

Basically, if one cell is lower compared to the others, you will probably loose performance. If the cells are matched, hopefully, all the cells will have close to the same characteristics so that a single cell won't cause decreased performance.

You may want to visit the Trinity website:
http://www.teamtrinity.com/batts/matched.asp

The Trinity labels show runtime, milliamp hour rating, avg discharge voltage, actual resistance, millwatt hour rating, and other settings.
Old 2004.12.28, 03:05 PM   #4
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNB
Basically, if one cell is lower compared to the others, you will probably loose performance. If the cells are matched, hopefully, all the cells will have close to the same characteristics so that a single cell won't cause decreased performance.

You may want to visit the Trinity website:
http://www.teamtrinity.com/batts/matched.asp

The Trinity labels show runtime, milliamp hour rating, avg discharge voltage, actual resistance, millwatt hour rating, and other settings.
I've got some Trinity matched cells but it seems for practice and even club quals, a bunch of GP 3300 C cells should work fine... no?
Old 2004.12.28, 04:17 PM   #5
TNB
Pet Human

Most of the cells in my larger cars are GP3300s whether they are for the receivers or to actually run the R/Cs. My little itty bitty 1/12 has matched Trinity cells though I haven't ran it in quite some time.
Old 2004.12.28, 04:32 PM   #6
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNB
Most of the cells in my larger cars are GP3300s whether they are for the receivers or to actually run the R/Cs. My little itty bitty 1/12 has matched Trinity cells though I haven't ran it in quite some time.
Do I keep plucking $$ down for matched cells? Or can I gram some GP 3300 unmatched cells and make packs out of those? Any ideas as to where to buy cheap 3300s?
Old 2004.12.28, 04:33 PM   #7
Ken Mifune
2-Z or not 2-Z...

Some may disagree but matched cells are for that small edge in racing. "...two second spread on run time, within three hundredths of a volt and two points on the internal resistance number..." -Trinity

Besides, after a matched pack has been cycled a bunch of times it most likely isn't matched anymore. As long as the manufacturer has good quality control, you can do very well with standard packs.

Unless I was consistantly coming in 2nd by a small margin would I then start thinking about matched cells.

Last edited by Ken Mifune; 2004.12.28 at 04:36 PM.
Ken Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.28, 04:39 PM   #8
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Mifune
Some may disagree but matched cells are for that small edge in racing. "...two second spread on run time, within three hundredths of a volt and two points on the internal resistance number..." -Trinity

Besides, after a matched pack has been cycled a bunch of times it most likely isn't matched anymore. As long as the manufacturer has good quality control, you can do very well with standard packs.

Unless I was consistantly coming in 2nd by a small margin would I then start thinking about matched cells.
So what is the answer...where should I buy cells. I see these VIS cells at T O W E R...are they worth it? Not much cheaper than matched!
Old 2004.12.28, 05:37 PM   #9
McLaren F1 T3
MAN SHOOT

Send a message via AIM to McLaren F1 T3 Send a message via Yahoo to McLaren F1 T3
don`t buy cells at tower.
if you want some cheap matched cells,

www.team1rc.com has 1.161-1.164 for 33$
or
www.racedayrc.com has 1.165+ for 33$
the racedayrc batteries have better voltage numbers, but
i race with team1rc.com batteries. Have had NO problems charging
and then putting them on the discharge tray.

i find it ridiculous for drivers that just race at club and not where they really need to pull the extra 0.0xx volts to finish a main. Maybe you don`t even need matched, but for that price i would go matched.