Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2007.01.21, 06:07 PM   #1
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
2007 DC Endurance Race

I would like to make the end of the season something special rather than just another race.

what i propose is that we do a lemans style event with an hour long race for each class.

this would allow for two, 1 hour races with an hour inbetween for break, tuning and rest. currently this also fits into our current 3 hour race schedule.

i will provide seperate prizes for the top 3 finishes for each of these races.

i'm all for extending the length of each race if you guys are willing. would making these races longer do more to attract or disuade you from this format?

there is a chance byebye would be able to make this event and i'll be emailing chuckyluv and other old school club members.

should we weight these races heavier than the normal races? i think the format offers a greater chance for those of us usually in the middle to do well since we would have more time to jocky for position.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.01.21, 08:31 PM   #2
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

Great idea, but will batteries last that long or will there be pit stops during the race when U change batteries?
TheRinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.01.21, 08:43 PM   #3
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

I am pretty sure we'll have to take pit stops. But that's going to be part of the strategy I'm sure.

Do you run a stock motor with a 6 tooth pinion and try to save your batteries or get out in front with a hot 9 tooth x-speed and make quick battery changes? I don't know.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.01.21, 09:04 PM   #4
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

It sounds really grueling. I don't think I can sit or stand in one place for that long. And on top of that everyone will be charging a couple sets of batteries and that will take up some time unless your quick eith the charger.
Old 2007.01.21, 09:12 PM   #5
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRinger
It sounds really grueling. I don't think I can sit or stand in one place for that long. And on top of that everyone will be charging a couple sets of batteries and that will take up some time unless your quick eith the charger.
I plan on bringing a well-trained pit crew. Spoon Racing Development (SRD) is really starting to take off...

can we use "backup" cars?
Old 2007.01.21, 10:02 PM   #6
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

Are we going to have a pit lane to pull are cars into? Little minatures jacks and air guns?
Old 2007.01.21, 10:10 PM   #7
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

I think the pit lane is a great idea. It should probably be mandatory. If we don't want to pull from Arch's supply of RCP (thus making the track smaller) I can easily bring enough tiles for a pit lane.

Maybe we could even pitch in and get a few blank tiles to make a nice wide straight in the layout.

If the weather cooperates it should be pretty warm when it's time for the finals.
Old 2007.01.22, 05:24 AM   #8
arch2b

i have 3 wide l's so if the weather cooperates, we could make a nice layout outside with pit lane and all.

yes, an hour is a long time. i plan on using a chair

i figure a set of cells will last 20-30 minutes so if you didn't want to charge any cell, you would need about 9 sets. i think we all have atleast half that so we will need to do recharging inbetween races.

pit stops will be needed. i figure 2 or 3 per race.
Old 2007.01.22, 07:09 AM   #9
byebye

Its neat to see the different questions about race preperation and strategy. I really hope to make this one.

I recommend a pit area or lane. The one in Germany was just after the timing system. It really doesn't matter as long as your car stops and starts at the same point.

I remember Jo had a rule about pit work. It should be done in the pits. Well I lost a tire or somthing and Jonny picked the car up just before the timing system. He fixed it and walked past the timing system and set the car down at the pit. We lost a whole lap because of that. If a quick fix like a tire or somthing needs to be done most were not taking it to the pit area. Especially if you are on the other side of the track. But having a pit area is a good idea.

Also the layout of the track we want to run in the UK for an endurance race will have some space between for marshalls to step too when they need to get to a car on the middle of the track.

We were able to get a strong 20min. per set of batteries. What matters the most in an endurance race is how long you are on the track. Sure you think there shouldn't be any down time but it will happen. The best thing to do is relax and take the time to do it right the first time. We wasted lots of time with quick fixes. Having batteries pre charged is the way to go. You'd be suprised how busy you are in an endurance race.

-Byebye
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.01.22, 07:33 AM   #10
Jonny

Endurance event

Great to see more and more of these events. I'm just getting plans laid here in the UK for one, hopefully the various X-Mod clubs and some drivers from Ireland will attend also.

I know, I know - I put the car back after the timing system BUT in my defense the penalties for not complying with the rules were 20 secs added which is 2 laps Come on it was a hectic time! I apologise to our team for that one.

Still, with rules in place for these longer events - if everybody tries to be as fair and logical as possible and not to interrupt the drivers or cars (and most clubs wouldn't have any trouble with that), even with the odd rule break here and there - as long as the event is flowing smoothly and everyone is happy I say it's all good.

Jonny
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.01.22, 07:46 AM   #11
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny
Great to see more and more of these events. I'm just getting plans laid here in the UK for one, hopefully the various X-Mod clubs and some drivers from Ireland will attend also.

I know, I know - I put the car back after the timing system BUT in my defense the penalties for not complying with the rules were 20 secs added which is 2 laps Come on it was a hectic time! I apologise to our team for that one.

Still, with rules in place for these longer events - if everybody tries to be as fair and logical as possible and not to interrupt the drivers or cars (and most clubs wouldn't have any trouble with that), even with the odd rule break here and there - as long as the event is flowing smoothly and everyone is happy I say it's all good.

Jonny
I thought you'd catch that . Jonny's right. It doesn't have to be as tense as it sounds. As long as everyone is driving being cautious of the other drivers and fixes are being done without interupting the flow of the race all should go well.

It's really the most fun I've ever had with the mini-z's.

-Byebye
Old 2007.01.22, 10:43 PM   #12
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

At Mini-AZ we ran a 1hr Le Mans last season and many 30min Petit Le Mans, so I'll toss some experience in here too.

1hr is a long time. Stand on something soft and expect to have the TX diamond pattern impressed into your hand from the grip-of-death. But it is a lot of fun and different from the short format experience. We use the 1hr race as our big season finale.

That hour flashes by before you know it. In last season's AZGT we ran a 1hr Le Mans clockwise, then after some counterclockwise practice, a 100 lap race which took a little over 30min. By the end of that we were exhausted. As a result, this season the final day is the 1 hour race only. Just something to keep in mind.

We were OLPS stock with 6-8t pinions and our battery runs were about 30min, so most everyone only made one pit stop. To even the field due to the wide cell capacity range out there, I implemented a rule requiring at least one battery change. Those pit stops are a frantic time.

Since our drivers are scattered around the track our pit rule is the car enters and exits where the driver is standing. This way everyone has an equal distance to retrieve, service, and reenter their car.

For stuck cars I bought a bunch of those long-arm-grabber-claw thingies. Much better than some 200lbs guy bounding across the track blocking everyone's view.

We also use Formula 1 style knockout round qualifying for the Le Mans events, it was a big hit.

If you'd like some reference, you can read the legalese in our Sporting Regulations over in the Phoenix subforum http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23900

Just remember to relax, stand comfortably, use a gentle grip, and have fun.

Before hitting the CORE 'Race' button, my speech goes something like:
“This is an hour long race so don't worry if you have a problem, there's plenty of time to make up for mistakes. Be patient. Don't be a turn one hero. You can't win this thing on the first lap, but you sure can lose it”.

Our next 1hr Le Mans is this Saturday, pictures and details will follow shortly after.
Dusty Weasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.01.28, 05:27 PM   #13
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Alright guys, I have some thoughts.

If most of the guys that came to the GTG yesterday are coming out for the enduro and we may get some guest drivers coming in, I think a team enduro event may be the way to go...but we bump it up to TWO HOURS!!!

Each team could consist of two drivers and two cars.
Driver/car changes can only happen in the pit lane.
The pit lane would bypass the timer so you are basically penalized a lap for a driver/car change (strategize appropiately).

Here are my thoughts on having two cars...
  • Each person can drive their own setup
  • Battery changes & repairs can be done while the other person is driving
  • If there is a catastrpphic failure, no team is completely out. (This is for fun and not driving is not fun)

Maybe we could do this for the spec class and maybe run a 30 minute race for F1.

Also if there are two drivers a pit lane becomes more feasable. The non-driver can place their car in the pit, then the current driver pulls in and the new driver pulls out.
Old 2007.01.28, 05:32 PM   #14
byebye

If you have two cars per team but only one running what about the core tag? Unless of course they run different chassis under 1 body.

-Byebye
Old 2007.01.28, 06:36 PM   #15
arch2b

if the car is changed, this would require taking the core tag out and putting it in the new car. it's the only way to keep it simple. it does add time to the task if you change cars though, maybe anohter strategdy call?

i wanted to make the spec class as important as the f1 thus the two 1 hour races. if we did 3 man teams this would make 20 minutes per driver leaving someone to do pitwork while drivers are changed.

if everyone who said they would make it, comes, 2 or 3 man teams would mean either 3 or 4 cars on the track at any one time. the good thing is, alot of poeple expressed interest which means we can do teams which i think alleviates alot of concern abotu driving for crazy long periods of time.