Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Manufacturers > Flip Side

Old 2010.05.05, 04:14 PM   #31
Treadmule
Tire Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwc4 View Post
Go ahead and try again. I had ran into this before with other downloads I posted where web browsers were using a cached copy instead of seeing the new version. I think I have that problem taken care of now.

The new version will say it is version 0.27
Yes, that took care of it. All good now.
I like your descriptions of the functions, they're quite clear. Especially the one for Virtual Inertia:
"sets how far the car will roll after the throttle is released". Right to the point, unlike some of the convoluted descriptions I've seen elsewhere.
Thanks!
Old 2010.05.05, 04:52 PM   #32
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadmule View Post
Yes, that took care of it. All good now.
I like your descriptions of the functions, they're quite clear. Especially the one for Virtual Inertia:
"sets how far the car will roll after the throttle is released". Right to the point, unlike some of the convoluted descriptions I've seen elsewhere.
Thanks!
Good to hear that straightened it out for you and thanks for the feedback. As always feedback helps me improve this for everyone.

Also as a note I will be building a batch of 10 USB ICS cables. I have already ordered the parts and hopefully will have them built by next weekend. They will be 35$ plus shipping ($4.95 USPS priority mail for the US). When I build them I will also take some pictures and post some details of how to build your own if you want.
pinwc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.07, 05:52 PM   #33
Treadmule
Tire Crew

MR02LM - surprising settings

I just got a BNIB ASF Porsche 962, MR-02 LM chassis. I paired it with my tx, turned if off, then plugged in the ICS cable to get a look at the board's settings. When I hit the "Read" button, I was surprised to see the following:
Gain - Custom
Speed - Custom
Drive Freq. - Low

Looking at the Custom panel in the software revealed that the Gain was set at 200 and the Speed was set at 100. I was not expecting that and I wonder what it means, that the board is not set at default values. Those are "between" values, not presets as shown in Kyosho's own software for the PC. Very curious!
Old 2010.05.07, 07:02 PM   #34
pinwc4

Quote:
I just got a BNIB ASF Porsche 962, MR-02 LM chassis. I paired it with my tx, turned if off, then plugged in the ICS cable to get a look at the board's settings. When I hit the "Read" button, I was surprised to see the following:
Gain - Custom
Speed - Custom
Drive Freq. - Low

Looking at the Custom panel in the software revealed that the Gain was set at 200 and the Speed was set at 100. I was not expecting that and I wonder what it means, that the board is not set at default values. Those are "between" values, not presets as shown in Kyosho's own software for the PC. Very curious!
That is very interesting. Like you said those are not values you can set with Kyosho's software. For Gain Mid translates to 100 and Strong is 255. And for Speed the option 4 is actually the value 40 and Fast is 255. Also the default values for the ASF board were Strong for Gain, Fast for Speed and Medium for Drive Freq.

Not sure what this means though.
Old 2010.05.12, 10:32 PM   #35
pinwc4

DIY USB ICS Cable

I have made my first USB ICS cable and wrote up how I built it. You can find the information here:

DIY USB ICS Cable

Unfortunately between when I made my order and now the 3 common places I order hardware from have no more stock. Mouser shows that the 5V USB TTL adapter will be in stock again in 2 weeks. I included information on how to build the adapter using a 3.3V USB TTL adapter but have not verified that it will actually work. I am building all of mine using the 5V version.

I plan on making 9 more of these, hopefully this weekend, and will post them for sale.
Old 2010.05.13, 06:00 AM   #36
BrianMidnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwc4 View Post

I plan on making 9 more of these, hopefully this weekend, and will post them for sale.
Will the cable work with Windows 7 32 bit???
BrianMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.13, 07:36 AM   #37
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIANMIDNITE View Post
Will the cable work with Windows 7 32 bit???
Yes, it is based on the FTDI chip and FTDI provides a Windows 7 32 bit compatible driver.
Old 2010.05.13, 11:54 AM   #38
pinwc4

The 5 volt USB to TTL adapter part is in stock again at SparkFun. I had checked last night and they were out of stock but got notified just a little bit ago. I updated the Wiki to point to the part from SparkFun

5 volt USB to TTL adapter from SparkFun

I still need a good source for the connectors, Digi-Key requires you to buy 10 of them (they are only $0.05 each though) and 100 of the pins ( at $0.014, yes about a penny and a half). Plus Digi-Key has a service charge of $5 if the order is less than 25$. So if anyone knows of a good source for these connectors please let me know.
Old 2010.05.16, 04:06 PM   #39
pinwc4

I made a small batch of USB ICS cables and posted for sale on the project site. If you want to buy one use the link on the site:
http://www.flipsideracing.org/projects/FlipSideICS/

This will allow me to keep track of my inventory.
Old 2010.05.18, 05:42 PM   #40
pinwc4

I made a minor software update. The latest version is now 0.28. I move controls slightly and added an application icon. There is also a Windows installer available now.

There were no functional changes with this build.

Flip Side ICS Software site

How is this software working for people, I have seen many downloads but very little feedback.
Old 2010.06.02, 08:23 PM   #41
PridgeoK

Hi there.

I just received my custom USB cable and have given the software a quick try. I have two MR-02 ASF cars, so I wanted to verify whether the software was able to read & write properly, which it initially seems to be fine when the program starts up. What I've noticed right away is that if you switch cars while the program is still running, the second car doesn't seem to read properly. If I close the application down, then reload it, then read the second car reads properly (that is - without disconnecting / reconnecting the car from the USB cable and putting it into setup mode).

I verified each cars settings with screen-caps of each config as I had them initially - they were both different from one another, so it's easy to verify which is which when it reads the car config. If I have the program running, read the first car it's fine... I plug in the second car and get it into setup mode, then click "read" and it displays the first car's settings, even if I change something then re-"read" it...

Is this normal? I suspect this isn't typically an issue, since you're generally setting up one only car at a time anyway. It just means that if you're going to set up a second car (say... another racer's car), you have to remember to restart the software.

My system is a Windows XP 32bit OS.

Thanks,

Kevin.

PS: Very glad to finally be able to config my own car without having to bum the cable (and software) off of others. Thanks for your work on this!!
PridgeoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.06.03, 08:52 AM   #42
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridgeoK View Post
Hi there.

I just received my custom USB cable and have given the software a quick try. I have two MR-02 ASF cars, so I wanted to verify whether the software was able to read & write properly, which it initially seems to be fine when the program starts up. What I've noticed right away is that if you switch cars while the program is still running, the second car doesn't seem to read properly. If I close the application down, then reload it, then read the second car reads properly (that is - without disconnecting / reconnecting the car from the USB cable and putting it into setup mode).

I verified each cars settings with screen-caps of each config as I had them initially - they were both different from one another, so it's easy to verify which is which when it reads the car config. If I have the program running, read the first car it's fine... I plug in the second car and get it into setup mode, then click "read" and it displays the first car's settings, even if I change something then re-"read" it...

Is this normal? I suspect this isn't typically an issue, since you're generally setting up one only car at a time anyway. It just means that if you're going to set up a second car (say... another racer's car), you have to remember to restart the software.

My system is a Windows XP 32bit OS.

Thanks,

Kevin.

PS: Very glad to finally be able to config my own car without having to bum the cable (and software) off of others. Thanks for your work on this!!
When you are unplugging the first car and then plugging in the second car are you also unplugging the USB cable from the computer? Right now the way the program works is it opens the COM port when the program is launched, if the USB cable were unplugged and then plugged back in while the program is running then it would probably no longer be able to communicate. The program never tries to open the COM port again after it is launched.

Regardless if that is the case or not what I think I need to do is change the software to close and open the port every time a command is sent. This way if things are being swapped around it should still be able to open up communication again.

One way you could test if this would help or not is after you switch cars and can not communicate try changing the COM port and then change it back to the correct one. If it can then communicate then the change I propose above should take care of the problem.

I will try a few ideas with my setup at home and see what I can come up with.

Glad to here the cable arrived fine and otherwise works for you. I will get this software bug sorted out.
Old 2010.06.13, 10:04 PM   #43
pinwc4

Software update, version 0.29 available.

I have done another minor update to the software. Version 0.29 is available to download from the site.

Flip Side ICS Software site

This version should allow you to unplug and plug in your ICS adapter while the program is running without having to close and reopen the program. The Windows and Linux GUI has been updated to match the Mac GUI and instead of using tabs there is now a button on the bottom of the program to switch between the standard drop downs and the advanced mode that allows you to modify all the values.

I still have a few of the USB ICS adapters for sale the web site as well.
Old 2010.06.14, 12:42 AM   #44
Treadmule
Tire Crew

I noticed a couple of days ago, in the previous version, that profiles selected from the pop-up menu would not write to my MR03 and it appears to remain true with this new version as well. I can enter changes in the various fields and write to the car without difficulty and I can save those settings as a profile, but trying to write it to the car from the profile will not work. I don't know how far back this goes, but I only ran into it recently.

Thanks for this new version. It gets better with each release.
Old 2010.06.14, 08:12 AM   #45
pinwc4

Quote:
I noticed a couple of days ago, in the previous version, that profiles selected from the pop-up menu would not write to my MR03 and it appears to remain true with this new version as well. I can enter changes in the various fields and write to the car without difficulty and I can save those settings as a profile, but trying to write it to the car from the profile will not work. I don't know how far back this goes, but I only ran into it recently.

Thanks for this new version. It gets better with each release.
What OS are you using the software one, OSX, Linux or Windows?

Does it write the wrong values or it just does no write operation at all?

Thanks for the feedback.