Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.08.19, 10:20 PM   #1
novadk

mr-01 difference

OK I just won a mini-z off ebay (havent even gotten it yet) but its the mr-01 which is the older version of the mr-02 correct? Whats the big difference, are the boards the same, will the bodies fit just like normal can I just use the fets offered at this site. Just need some general info and if the mods are all the same or do I need different parts?
novadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.08.19, 11:33 PM   #2
pomme de terre

the chassis is entirely different
check on kyoshos site.. www.kyosho.co.jp
MR02 has servo saver.. brake function... better design

you can use the same FETs, but mr02 can only fit 2x4.. requiring special stacking and a bit of modification i believe
the mr01 can fit a 2x8 no mods needed

the boards are slightly different...

a lot of the mods and stuf are different, and actualy parts for the car are different... and shells tooo
pomme de terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.08.20, 04:18 PM   #3
novadk

Its still a good car or no? Can I upgrade to the mr-02 chssis or suspention, can I make it so some of the new stuff fit the old style?
Old 2004.08.20, 07:13 PM   #4
McLaren F1 T3
MAN SHOOT

Send a message via AIM to McLaren F1 T3 Send a message via Yahoo to McLaren F1 T3
MR01 is a very good car nonetheless, but MR02 is a much better/improved
verison of the Mini-Z, and will perform better on and off the track.

There is a few different ways the MR01 to MR02 conversion goes.

MR01.5 is what people describe the mr01 to mr02 conversion.

The MR01.5:

Either:

***MR01 electronics with mr02 chassis/servo saver/motor pod OR
***MR01 electronics with mr02 chassis/servo saver/MR01 Motor Pod OR
MR02 electronics with mr02 chassis/servo saver/MR01 Motor Pod

The ones with the asterisk's are the ones that i believe you want to achieve.

The mr01 motorpod is a tad different in that it is higher off the ground than the MR02 RM motorpod

the RM uses most bodies from the autoscale lineup. The MM motorpod which is midship instead of rear mount only uses the Mclaren F1/ENZO FERRARI/LAMBORGHINI DIABLO setup as of now.

THE PARTS YOU NEED:::
MR02 CHASSIS SET CLEAR OR REPLACEMENT SET
MR02 SMALL PARTS SET
MR02 KINGPINS
MR02 SERVO SAVER
MR02 SCREW SET

THE PARTS YOU MIGHT NEED:::
MR02 MM BODY IF YOU USE MR02 MM REAR MOTOR MOUNT OR
MR02 REAR MOTOR MOUNT RM if you insist on having a MR02 RM pod (comes with h-plate (plastic)) OR
MR02 T-PLATE (The V-PLATE from the minizracer.com shop is very good)
for RM or mr01.5 setup

The mr01.5 setup that you are looking for requires soldering a few things.

You will need to solder the green wire to the where the orange wire is on the POT.
pic courstey of hammerz, thanks.
here

You might encounter a problem using the battery tab connectors on the MR01 to MR02 as they are quite bigger. You might have to do what warfile did and solder on motor tab's on the wires instead of reusing the old ones.
pic courstey of warfile, thanks.

here
and
here

The other part is using bodies.

The wheels offsets are very confusing, and im just going to do a overall if you would get a new body. MR02 Bodies for using MR01 motor Pod or the MR02 RM/RML(the RML is just the RM with no top shock, still use the MR02 RM part number though) would be every single body besides the ENZO FERRARI / MCLAREN F1 / LAMBORGHINI DIABLO VT. Some bodies will not fit because of the width of it. Like the Narrow bodies of VITZ/AE86 TRUENO/FIT/ALTEZZA/ (and others that i cannot think off my head) will need some dremel work to make it fit. Bodies that will fit MR02 RM/01 mount are the HONDA NSX (ALL VERSIONS)/SKYLINE JGTC/SUPRA (ALL)/CORVETTE (BOTH)/FERRARI (ALL minus the DINO GT (i think))/MERCEDES-BENZ CLK(ALL)/ and a few others im forgetting again (etc.).

As you can see here, i barely fitted the taisan viper onto the mr02 chassis
HERE
and
HERE

I hope that helps and i hope it wasn't too long either

AGAIN, i would like to say im sure im missing something or another, and if you could help, that would be great

editx2::: adding pics for ease of use. again, thanks to all for the diagrams/pictures

a few threads on this conversion are
here
here
& here is the search on it in the mr02 forum

Last edited by McLaren F1 T3; 2004.08.20 at 07:30 PM.
McLaren F1 T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.08.20, 07:32 PM   #5
stuZ
mini-z muckraker

If this is your first Z, I'd say just run the 01, and get an 02 later on down the road to compare it to.
You'll have plenty enough little challenges along the way.
Plus, once you get a board with brakes, you'll want to put one in your 01.
stuZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.08.20, 09:27 PM   #6
novadk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuZ
If this is your first Z, I'd say just run the 01, and get an 02 later on down the road to compare it to.
You'll have plenty enough little challenges along the way.
Plus, once you get a board with brakes, you'll want to put one in your 01.
Yeah this is my first Z, I plan on just bashing it right now and maybe make a practice track then get another when I move into my house. A few guys I work with want to run the cars and I plan on making a track in my basement, can I use that high traffic carpet for a track (that hard stuff but still decent for a finished basement) And thanks McLaren F1 T3 for all that info, I'll prob leave the electronics(fet upgrade) alone and just upgrade the smaller things chassis and what not.
Old 2004.08.21, 02:27 AM   #7
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
That pic I borrowed from xalex0000 from earlier in that thread. I just put it in that one post to save alot of having to go back and forth.

Thanks for the props anyway.

Yes, the MR01 can be upgraded with an MR02 chassis. I'd say to not jump into that until you have more feel with a mini-z. I think the MR01 is a good start into mini-z's, yes it's got a higher CG and tries to turn over but it will teach the driver alot about handling the car. My old MR01 Skyline I drifted around the house all the time, and it was alot of fun. My MR02 and MR015 don't seem the same, because they seem to run "flat". By flat I mean there is no "on the edge" driving them, my MR01 had more pitch and roll in the way it ran. You learn throttle control in sliding sideways.

Last edited by HammerZ; 2004.08.21 at 05:00 PM.
HammerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.08.22, 11:14 AM   #8
Chow

So if thats the case, would I be safe in getting this?(as my first car)

30352GM-B

[enter into] t o w e r h o b b i e s . c o m - search

Thanks!

Last edited by Chow; 2004.08.22 at 01:20 PM.
Chow is offline   Reply With Quote