Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Manufacturers > Reflex Racing

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 1.36 average. Display Modes
Old 2009.07.24, 03:55 PM   #1
CristianTabush

Reflex Racing 64 Pitch MR-02 Spur Gears.

Our line of Spur Gears were designed with maximum performance in mind. We wanted a Spur gear that not only was lighter, but also stronger, truer and more versatile than what is currently available.

We started by going back to the trusty 6 ball design. Lately most spur gears have been increasing the number of balls used. While this is good for ultra high grip tracks, the majority of tracks across the World aren't. This led us to use only 5 balls in the spurs, but many times this proved insufficient engagement in mid- to mid high grip tracks. The 6 ball design is simply the most versatile.

We also eliminated the unnecessary and very heavy center bearing. By Machining the Spur gears instead of molding them, the need for a bearing to make it spin true is not needed any more. This eliminates weight even further in your drive train allowing for quicker acceleration and deceleration.

The spur gear is much narrower as well. This reduces friction even further, again increasing the speed of your car.

Lastly, we made sure the spur gears fit EVERY differential design, regardless of brand. You need not sand down any of the diff parts to make it fit. It is a direct bolt-on. In the case that you did sand down your diff, we offer a spacer kit for $1.00 to take up the gap left from your previous modifying.
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.24, 06:01 PM   #2
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

Ordered!
Cant wait to try them out.

Mini-Z Norway
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.24, 08:34 PM   #3
pfcparts

Great looking product. Looks to be the 64 pitch
set to get with the loss of the bearing.

Just curious, how durable are those PN shafts?
Per my experience (or inexperience lol), aluminum
threads don't last as long.

parts
Old 2009.07.24, 09:28 PM   #4
CristianTabush

I am yet to have any trouble with the PN Shafts. So long as you do not over tighten them, they should be fine.

Let's get back on track though, this is a thread about our new spurs
Old 2009.07.24, 09:31 PM   #5
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I would have definitely added a few of these to the order that I just received today with the Qteq parts... Would definitely have come in handy at the PN race tomorrow... Will order a few soon
Old 2009.07.24, 09:40 PM   #6
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Just made my order Cant wait to try them out, I always thought that the bearing was a little overkill, and added more weight than necessary. May be ok for modified classes, but for stock classes, I think having the bearing out will work better.

Are there plans to produce smaller gears? 52t, maybe even 51t for people that like to gear to the moon...
Old 2009.07.24, 10:18 PM   #7
CristianTabush

I just actually picked them up from the machine shop today, they finished making them yesterday. I wish I could have gotten them out for the NYC regional...

I am definitely planning on different sizes. A 51T and a 55T are the ones that I want to make the most. Increments of just a tooth seem kind of redundant to me, as they make such a small difference. It will be at least a month before we get the other ones out though. A 51T will probably come first and the 55T will follow.
Old 2009.07.24, 10:21 PM   #8
CristianTabush

One of the biggest things that we noticed with Marcus was that the differentials feel SO MUCH SMOOTHER. This is probably due to the fact that they have slim to none chance of rubbing any other diff parts. I always found that with molded spurs, they would sometimes rub the rings and they would have to be shaved slightly to make them work optimal.
Old 2009.07.24, 10:42 PM   #9
rocketman
Thom Rocketman Belmont

Great Job CT, I have always been a fan of machined spurs and pinions and hope they work well for you. Glad you thought of this as the other spurs are over kill with the bearing and the contact patch between spur and pinion. I had been trying shorten the pinion so there wasn't so much contact between the two gears. I think it was trinity who did this in 10th scale in the late 80's with great success. I sold tons of the new gears that were thin. Congrats.

Thom "The Rocketman" Belmont
Belmont Racing Team - BRT
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.24, 10:45 PM   #10
MantisMMA
tire schredder

i guess i better start workin on the next batch!! hey CT this may seem hard to believe but i picked up 2 KPH on the dyno with only the spur gear change!! it also increase the first number reading by about 5KPH meaning that it spooled up that much quicker! these things are gonna rule stock class for sure!

Marcus Williams
MantisMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.24, 10:52 PM   #11
CristianTabush

Great news Marcus! Thanks for the kind words Thom! I already have mine installed. Can't wait to run them tomorrow. The quality is so freaking impressive and they mesh so perfectly with PN Pinions.
Old 2009.07.24, 11:10 PM   #12
joey
Maj's Hobby Shop

Send a message via AIM to joey
they look very good, ill have to get a few when you have the 51t made..

Another slow guy here.

http://www majsrc com/
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.24, 11:59 PM   #13
rocketman
Thom Rocketman Belmont

CT even the teeth are cut correctly to take advantage of longer mesh between spur and pinion. I know you have said that PN match nice but you guys should go the extra mile and get the pinions done also with this tooth profile. You boys got something here on this one. I expect more genius stuff from your abilities.

TB

Thom "The Rocketman" Belmont
Belmont Racing Team - BRT
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.25, 08:19 AM   #14
dvsstrike
The name is Tim

ct looks great wish you have the matching thin pinion too. will order some though. with a bunch of other things too.
tim
Old 2009.07.25, 09:56 AM   #15
CristianTabush

Tim, I have thought about it, but at the time, there are 2 obstacles for this:
1.Price: To make the pinions properly, they would have to be molded, and molds are very expensive, we might be able to make some down the road. If we made them machined, they would be even higher in price since it would involve many more operations on a machine to get them cut, so the price of a pinion set would be outrageous as well.
2.Weight: Even if we made them machined, because we found a cheaper way to make them, we would probably have to add an aluminum collar like the PN ones have, therefore gaining back the weight that you would loose by making them thinner.