Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.10.17, 08:22 PM   #1
Phenochilus

Lightbulb Newbie Question to Motor Winding.

Hi all,

I'm having a go a re-winding some of my stock motor armatures and have a newbie question....

Do I need to sand away the enamel from the copper wire where it meets the metal tabs of the commutator ? Otherwise they won't receive any current !?

Sorry for this question, this will be the first time that I do this and can't find other resources on the web.

Thanks in advance.
Phenochilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.10.18, 09:56 AM   #2
Kerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenochilus
Hi all,

I'm having a go a re-winding some of my stock motor armatures and have a newbie question....

Do I need to sand away the enamel from the copper wire where it meets the metal tabs of the commutator ? Otherwise they won't receive any current !?

Sorry for this question, this will be the first time that I do this and can't find other resources on the web.

Thanks in advance.
Yes you do have to remove the enamel coating on the magnet wire for current to conduct. Make sure you do a good soldering job at the tabs to ensure the best conductivity.

Cheers!!
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.10.18, 12:18 PM   #3
Ken Mifune
2-Z or not 2-Z...

I usually scrape the coating off with an X-acto. The stock arms have a plastic retaining clip holding the comm together so don't use too much heat too long. Good luck winding.

How many turns were you planning? If you plan on going with a low turn (less than 45) then also plan on stacking FETs or turbo.

Last edited by Ken Mifune; 2004.10.18 at 12:28 PM.
Ken Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.10.18, 01:21 PM   #4
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
depending on the motor, the mag wire coating is sometimes designed tomelt when heated... so again not too much heat could melt the entire wire coating... but not too little heat, or it will be a bad solder joint... I usualy scrape it as well... use flux makes it easier
Old 2004.10.20, 08:08 PM   #5
Phenochilus

Just wanted to say Thanks for all the replies.

Stuffed up one of the commutator tabs that holds the wire in place - guess I bent it a bit too much with the xacto knife, and the tab just fell off. So I used some solder to hold it in place - did 40 turns of 0.3mm diameter wire, but when I hook it up to a double AAA battery pack, I have to hand rotate the armature to a certain point and then it'll start spinning.

So I'm guessing, one of the tabs isn't conducting too well. Only problem is that I don't know which one.
Phenochilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.10.20, 08:54 PM   #6
Kerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenochilus
Just wanted to say Thanks for all the replies.

Stuffed up one of the commutator tabs that holds the wire in place - guess I bent it a bit too much with the xacto knife, and the tab just fell off. So I used some solder to hold it in place - did 40 turns of 0.3mm diameter wire, but when I hook it up to a double AAA battery pack, I have to hand rotate the armature to a certain point and then it'll start spinning.

So I'm guessing, one of the tabs isn't conducting too well. Only problem is that I don't know which one.
Using a Multimeter, swith to continuity and do the check on the commutator. You will notice that there are 3 individual pieces. Using the probe, touch on 2 consecutive pieces at a time. eg. we call the three pieces A, B & C. Measure A & B, then B & C and finally C & A. The one showing a broken connection will be the culprit.

The other measurement (exactly the same measuring process), check for resistance. One with a higher value also shows bad connection. Or one which does not have any reading shows, probably, a broken connection.

Hope this might help you out.

Cheers!!
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote