Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2002.06.23, 07:55 PM   #1
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

my rookie review: front end springs

tonight i experimented with the front springs. i already had the yellow (hard) springs installed which work better than the stock fronts but (and i'm not complaining) i still felt the yellows can use some extra firmness. with this in mind i decided to see what would happen if i firmed things up even more in the front by switching the yellows for the stock 'rear' springs. it took alot of patience to get those longer springs in but believe it or not they actually fit.

my findings: the result definately yielded less (in fact next to no) spring bound and rebound. using my fingers only, i could compress the spring pushing the knuckle arm but it did take alot more pressure to do it. taking a few laps around the carpet track at the HS i immediately noticed better handling while cornering which i expected. i think having next to no spring rate made up for the lack of a sway bar. the bad side however was while accelerating down the straights, it was harder to control. there was less front end grip compared to having the yellows so i was fighting very hard to keep the car as straight as possible before having to enter the next turn. i can only guess the much firmer springs (again, next to no spring rate) prevented any weight transfer to the front supplied by the rear shock set during these moments of accelaration causing less front end grip. cornering was never a problem since those lateral mini G forces pushes down on the outside front tire where as during straight line acceleration there is less downforce due to the overly firm springs.

conclusion: having firm springs in front is good but there is a point where you can have too much of it. unfortunately we don't have damper capability or shocks so it's good to have some rate with your springs to help with front end grip. i'm sure there's a happy medium in there somewhere. and it lies between the yellow spring and the rear stock spring. i wait patiently for kyosho to produce such springs.
until then, it's back to the yellows.

cheers.

ps. i'm currently contemplating on a hybrid progressive spring(s) for the front. but that's next week's rookie review.

Last edited by West.F1; 2002.06.24 at 07:41 AM.
West.F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.06.25, 08:28 AM   #2
mini-z
Administrator

Cool, thanks for your continued series of reviews!
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.06.28, 01:41 AM   #3
Lord_bunker
Mini-Z Pro

now what happens when soft ones go in the rear.

i like soft springs in front and a stiff butt. unless i'm running on the wased tile at work.

it reminds me of the gokart setup.

have you thought of getting a website. even a free one like geocities, yahoo or something.
Lord_bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.06.28, 08:39 AM   #4
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

LB- i suppose having the very stiff set up in front had the same effect of softer springs in the rear. just a little more extreme.

my current set up which i prefer is in line with what you mention ie softer front end than the rear. though i have the yellow/hard springs all around, the rear shock set ads to rear end stiffness since i felt the yellows overall aren't as stiff as i would like. for example the front wing can still drag the ground using the yellow springs.

as for a website, i've given it some thought. perhaps in the future but for now i'm satisfied with checking out this site and adding my 2 cents to the fourms.

Last edited by West.F1; 2002.06.28 at 12:53 PM.
Old 2002.06.28, 12:43 PM   #5
mini-z
Administrator

Quote:
as for a website, i've given it some thought. perhaps in the future but for now i'm satisfied with checking out this site and adding my 2 cents to the fourms.
West.F1, just wanted to let you know that I've really enjoyed your "articles" so far! I would recommend that you continue to post them to the forums rather than a new site, as you'll get a ton more views here. Thanks!
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.06.28, 01:19 PM   #6
ViperKid
I LOVE WAFFLE HOUSE

they help me with my set up, even if it is in the F-1 tread. thanks
ViperKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.06.28, 02:45 PM   #7
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

i'm no professional rc reporter but do enjoy doing tests to write a review on for others to read. of course they're nothing that no one else can't do with what they've purchased. fortunately, the F1 hasn't been out very long so it leaves alot of room for experimentation. i just wish i had more money and time to test every option available.

Last edited by West.F1; 2002.06.28 at 02:48 PM.
Old 2002.06.28, 02:51 PM   #8
ViperKid
I LOVE WAFFLE HOUSE

maybe you can get mini-z to pay you to write reviews for this site. you never know
ViperKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.06.28, 03:28 PM   #9
ultrawide
Same same, but different.

West.F1 - Keep those good reviews coming
ultrawide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.06.29, 04:57 PM   #10
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

well, i was going to experiment with my hybrid progressive springs idea and give a report but unfortunately i managed to brake the tie rod (steering plate) today goofing with a couple of guys with mini sedans. i never expected to brake that thing but looking at the design of this open wheeler, it makes sense why it would be easily prone to fracture.

a friend once told me, 'if you're not braking things, you're not going fast.' I'd like to think of it that way... versus just my stinky driving.

peace

Last edited by West.F1; 2002.06.29 at 10:22 PM.
Old 2002.06.29, 09:59 PM   #11
herman

west.f1...

take a look at diego50's f-1 go cart set up on the tech tips page of www.connecticutspeedway.com... somehow this fast guy goes without any suspension... and he is really quick... what he did was basically rig the f-1 rigid... what rear springs were you using during the test? to balance everything out i guess you'll have to put firm springs in the rear to compliment the super stiff fronts...
love your reviews...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.06.30, 02:16 AM   #12
diego50
"Always Present"

Re: my rookie review: front end springs

Quote:
Originally posted by West.F1
tonight i experimented with the front springs. ...
I have to agree with your review. Stiffening the F1 front end really helps with the balance of the car.

In my testing, I found that there is just too much suspension movement built in to the F1. Scalewise, imagine an F1 with the suspension travel of a street car! This leads to "lifting" of the rear wheels at full compression, which then leads to massive oversteer.

I have tried the rigid F1 setup, which worked well for certain track layouts. I have since put back the suspension, but with limited travel, since the track layout has changed at our local track. So, far, this has made the my F1 run with the best of them and proves that suspension tuning does work on these cars.

But, as with the "tintops", tuning the MiniZ still begins with choosing the right tires first, then fine tuning with springs and dampers.

More HP to all!!!
diego50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.06.30, 11:08 PM   #13
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

thanks diego.

i sort of expected a very rigid set up would be good on as close to ideal track as possible. a hard, flat and non-slippery track that is, since such a set up would make the car too nimble and over sensitive to any small bumps, particles or un-even surfaces.