Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > General Discussion > Motor Tech

Old 2012.02.10, 07:37 PM   #1
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Are caps still necessary with 2.4 GHz Cars?

Rebuilding some older mod motors and wondering if I can remove the caps. All my cars are 2.4 MR-03s. Thanks
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.10, 08:09 PM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I dont think they are necessary for 2.4ghz.
Old 2012.02.11, 04:44 AM   #3
NoBrainer

I think you are right EMU, but caps are there to reduce noice from the motor to other electronics.
So I would keep them. Nothings more irritating than interferance that you just can't understand why.
Just my point of view.
Old 2012.02.11, 07:13 AM   #4
nicov

If you talk about the caps on the motor connection, they are also here to reduce the sparkles on the collector, avoiding to burn the collector.
nicov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.11, 03:44 PM   #5
Bodom

EMU is not right here Caps are needed.
Old 2012.02.14, 07:46 AM   #6
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Thanks for the input guys! I was hoping for a unanimous position, but guess I'll have to resolve for myself by trying with and without. If I learn anything fascinating, I'll post it here
Old 2012.02.14, 07:52 AM   #7
color01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
EMU is not right here Caps are needed.
Curious why you say this. I've been running all sorts of motors in my Mod 03 with and without caps and haven't ever noticed a difference. PN motors don't even come with caps anymore AFAIK, so if they are necessary then we would have to rush out and buy caps overnight.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.14, 08:14 AM   #8
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

On ASF boards we have been running without caps for the last two years.
Never experienced any problems.

Mini-Z Norway
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.14, 11:31 AM   #9
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
The caps on the motors reduce noise for the 27mhz AM band. On 2.4ghz, I have not seen any difference with or without them. On AM, if a cap was loose, you would feel it in glitches.
Old 2012.02.14, 04:10 PM   #10
oXYnary

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
The caps on the motors reduce noise for the 27mhz AM band. On 2.4ghz, I have not seen any difference with or without them. On AM, if a cap was loose, you would feel it in glitches.
More than just AM. We used them for decades with FM as well. Nicov has the best answer. They also reduce the spikes in the motor use to reduce motor wear on the commutator.

You may not be noticing any difference because the ASF hides most of it. BUT. It still exists. The 2.4 band is still a form of EM, while the motor without caps puts out EM energy. As well as your electronics.

Really? Is it that hard to put on the caps? If nothing else you get longer brush/commutator life.
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.14, 06:43 PM   #11
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
Really? Is it that hard to put on the caps? If nothing else you get longer brush/commutator life.
Actually, I've found it quite difficult to solder the cap to a new can (which I will have to do with a few motors). I've roughed up the can with a file, used flux and still had difficulty making a nice joint. Plus, with the 94-98mm mounts, where you solder to the can and how much solder you get on that joint can interfere with the diff shaft, so no, I don't think its easy. But now we are getting off topic, so lets get back to the subject.
Old 2012.02.14, 07:10 PM   #12
color01

Quote:
Originally Posted by oXYnary View Post
More than just AM. We used them for decades with FM as well. Nicov has the best answer. They also reduce the spikes in the motor use to reduce motor wear on the commutator.

You may not be noticing any difference because the ASF hides most of it. BUT. It still exists. The 2.4 band is still a form of EM, while the motor without caps puts out EM energy. As well as your electronics.

One part you're neglecting I think is the fact that the newer ASF boards have several capacitors inside the board itself that serve the same function as the caps on the motor. On the MR03 at the very least we know there's a cap right between the motor terminals. If you care enough about this, we can take a look at that cap's value and you'll most likely see that it filters out noise in the 2.4GHz band, just as the add-on caps used to do for our AM 27MHz.

In my experience the caps' effect on brush/comm life is nearly negligible compared to the starting quality of the brushes and comms themselves. PN and Kyosho comms last eons compared to Tamiya Mini-4WD comms, and the brushes... well, every batch I've bought lasted a very different amount of time thanks to different driving conditions. It would be nice to have a scientific test for brush life with and without motor caps, but I replace brushes less than once a year so I'll admit I don't really care.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.15, 01:16 AM   #13
NoBrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01 View Post
On the MR03 at the very least we know there's a cap right between the motor terminals. If you care enough about this, we can take a look at that cap's value and you'll most likely see that it filters out noise in the 2.4GHz band, just as the add-on caps used to do for our AM 27MHz.
Does this apply to the MR-02? with 2.4GHz that is.
Old 2012.02.15, 07:28 AM   #14
pomme de terre

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBrainer View Post
Does this apply to the MR-02? with 2.4GHz that is.
Yes. It's just oriented laterally between the motor terminals rather than longitudinally like the MR03 board.
pomme de terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.15, 07:29 AM   #15
Bodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01 View Post
Curious why you say this. I've been running all sorts of motors in my Mod 03 with and without caps and haven't ever noticed a difference. PN motors don't even come with caps anymore AFAIK, so if they are necessary then we would have to rush out and buy caps overnight.
I say this because of this thread, which proves me that a motor CAN cause glitching on 2.4 board.
As you already said the board itself has a capacitor between the motor terminals.
I am curious - have you tried KT-18 + car without motor caps?