Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Tracks and GTGs

Old 2003.01.13, 05:35 PM   #1
francis_Z

Question ?? on using hardboard for track and green material for grass

Hi!

I've been planning my track and have actually started building the frame using 1x2" pines and 1/8" hardboard. Total area would be 16'x8' cut up into 8 sections for ease of storage. Lane widths would be 20" and may come down to 16" to maximize space.

For now I have a C5R and CLK D2 tintops and a McLaren F1 coming plus maybe a F1 Ferrari (hopefully soon). So a total of 4 cars running. Just stock or maybe X-speed the most for engine mods.

I bought that asphalt roofing paper for surface and plan on glueing it to the hardboard.

Hope you can help me with a couple of questions:
1. (Dumb ? really ). Which side of the hardboard should I use? The smooth or the rough side? Since I'll be covering it with tar paper, would it matter?

2. Would you recommend just using the backside of the hardboard, paint it and not even use the tar paper?

3. I saw some low-pile green carpet at the Depot and was planning on using that as the fake grass. Do you think that would work ok without hindering the cars? Wouldn't it be too thick for F1's.

4. For the kerbs, would plain plywood be fine with the edges bevelled?

For the perimeter of the track, I'm planning on using foam board so even if the cars fly off the track, the impact won't be as bad if it was wood.

Track dividers, I'm going to use the T-shaped drywall connectors or something and cut out some of the bottom portion to make it bendable.

Sorry for a lot of questions. Haven't built a track before and not keen on woodworking but trying

Thanks in advance.
francis_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.01.13, 07:19 PM   #2
Digisane
Mini-z Crash Test Dummy

Re: ?? on using hardboard for track and green material for grass

I was thinking about the almost same things the other night, asking for recommendations on what parts a track should have and which items are suitable for it (among some of the things - cardboard).

I don't have my own track, but i do hope i can help you a little..

Quote:
Originally posted by francis_Z
Hi!

3. I saw some low-pile green carpet at the Depot and was planning on using that as the fake grass. Do you think that would work ok without hindering the cars? Wouldn't it be too thick for F1's.

Thanks in advance.
Well if money isn't a real problem then I guess that you can purchase the carpet for fake grass. Is it the type that they put in the supermarket produce refrigerator sections?

Once of the reason for 'grass' in real tracks (aside from Monaco and Macau tracks among others) is to have some distance between the barriers and the car, so that when the driver makes a small mistake he won't go slamming into the wall at the slightest wheelspin. It also serves as a run-off area to slow the car down in event of a spinout before it hits the wall (unless it's wet).

If the carpet is thick enough for a small speed decrease or to slow down a spinout, i guess it should work, because it would discourage the your friends from using them as an advantage . However, if it's really thin then you can drive over it for more grip/speed then it would be useless. So that's why I'm thinking of those green carpets normally found in the refrigerators of supermarkets.

However, if you think it's so thick as to damage the cars, then look for an alternative, or you need to somehow raise the track to the about same height as the carpet thickness so it sits level.

I hope this inormation about the grass would help you.

Good luck in your track building.
Digisane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.01.13, 07:59 PM   #3
DavidDeLaurier
55 Degree Films

as for the track surface I would use textured paint. This is what I did for my track and is is GREAT!. Go to Home Depot and look in the Ralph Lauren section where the paint chips are. Look for somthing called "River Rock". It is textured paint ans almost feels like scale asphalt. It costs 34.95 per gallon, but half a gallon covered my 24' x 12' track with ease. It is really worth the money! Great traction without high grip tires.
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VII - Red
Landcruiser Overland - Silver
--------------------------------------
DavidDeLaurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.01.14, 01:07 AM   #4
herman

my suggestion is, whether you use the asphalt paper or not, use the rough side... it gives you texture :

- if you don't use asphalt paper, so that the wheels can grip onto something

- if you do decide to use asphalt paper, the rough side will bond better to the asphalt paper (use some glue of course)...

used to go to a track that used asphalt paper... good traction especially when you use foams... the downside is... you have to always clean your car...

low pile carpet is really ok, and although i haven't tried it, i think textured paint will also be alright...

try using mid to high density foam for retaining walls... line them with velcro (the hook side) facing towards the track... this is what they use in h.k. (in at lest two tracks i went to)

good luck and have fun...

do a search on "r/c heaven"
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.01.14, 05:13 PM   #5
francis_Z

DavidDeLaurier:

Thanks for the tip. I was planning on using the tar paper for now during winter as it awful cold and I don't think the paint will dry fast enough for me to enjoy it during the winter. I read your post about RL River Rock on one of the "Tracks" thread you have about your track and was planning on using that in spring.
- Street Pajero Overland Autoscale w/ Kyosho MT on Topcad alloys -
- RCP Track (Mini-96) plus extra pieces -
Old 2003.01.14, 05:18 PM   #6
francis_Z

Digisane: green carpet

Exactly what I was thinking. I saw that bright green carpet that's not too thick nor too thin which I plan or getting. About $0.69/sqft I think.

I'm also trying to locate astro-turf for cheap then it would be nice too.

Thanks!
Old 2003.01.14, 05:29 PM   #7
francis_Z

herman: r/c heaven

I used to work in HK back in 1993 and left in 1995.
I remember Mongkok! It is indeed an r/c heaven!

I bought my first Tamiya 1/10 R/C and Serpent Impact in Mongkok. That place is awesome, but I spent a lot of $$$ there

I'll be using that pink foam board used for insulation as barriers along the perimeter of the track. That'll be plenty strong to keep the cars in the track.

Thanks!
Old 2003.01.15, 05:36 AM   #8
Digisane
Mini-z Crash Test Dummy

Re: herman: r/c heaven

francis_Z,

Be sure to post pictures of your track when you complete it!
Digisane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.01.15, 08:15 AM   #9
lightfighter
MINI-Z SOLDIER

I would use thin carpet for the racing surface. or Rubberized paint only thing with the paint is you will have to dust the surface from time to time, when you can just vacum the carpet
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote