Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2013.02.11, 01:34 AM   #1
imxlr8ed

Thumbs up UID MR03 (Wide) Tie Rod Set...

Once again, a possible premature posting here, but I like to keep you all on the cutting edge of my Shapeways adventure!

Now these just got uploaded tonight so I have not ordered them or tested them yet, and it will more than likely be a while until I do. I would prefer that you all wait until I do get some testing in before you do make a purchase because this is one of those parts where every little surface and fitment really matters! I'm confident that I did my job correctly but there's always that chance that the materials may not print within a required tolerance.

Big thanks to Rune for driving this design to market! It's one of those things I've thought about but was still a bit worried about producing for all of the aforementioned reasons.

Ok, so you're getting 9 tie-rods for a very reasonable price. Why nine you ask?... well the same reason Spinal Tap's equiptment dials to eleven! Actually... no, but you will be getting some in-between degree settings you can't get anywhere else (I think). The "C" tie-rod is the one that is equivalent to the "W-0" rod that comes with the Z. "A" & "B" are negatives, the rest are positives. Here's some pics:

The dimensions are shown to prove the size differences. While reverse designing these, I've noticed that there is some variations between batches of tie-rods that I had around... so if you've ever wondered why one zero degree tie-rod seems better than another zero degree tie-rod, I can tell you why. Between three batches of the stock rods, there was no matching measurements. Probably not noticeable to many on the track, but maybe to a few. I'm hoping these tie-rods give everyone a good in-between degree route to take if they want to.

If these work out well in my testing, I do plan to finish off the design for the F1 tie-rods next! Also... If I find that anything above 2 degrees is just unnecessary to most of us racers, I may just include duplicates on there of the ones racers will be using the most. I am also thinking about messing with the Ackerman on future batches just to see what I can get out of them.

The new model is already in my shop and ready for sale, but please hold off unless you just don't care what I say and you really want to be a test-mule for my shop!

Once again, the Shapeways link to my shop is in my signature below. I am offering them in White and Polished, And also planning to give the Polished Alumide a shot as well. The default material is white so make sure you have it set to what you want when you order!

No fine print here, just the facts!
I am in no way, shape or form responsible for production or shipping or manufacturing quality of these products. All I can say is that it takes around 15 days to show up at my house after I place an order and the quality is top-notch! What I design is what I get. Shapeways has an excellent record of part quality which is one of the major reasons I went with them for this stuff.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)

Last edited by imxlr8ed; 2013.02.11 at 01:38 AM.
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.11, 04:15 AM   #2
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

Great job!
Will order up and give them a go

Mini-Z Norway
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.11, 04:48 AM   #3
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Wow! Nice job!
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.11, 06:22 AM   #4
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

Did you include any that are longer than what is available now. I ask as we need one for the reflex raised lower arm setup. The kyosho +3 is still toed out to much for me
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.11, 08:42 AM   #5
imxlr8ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad508 View Post
Did you include any that are longer than what is available now. I ask as we need one for the reflex raised lower arm setup. The kyosho +3 is still toed out to much for me
I can build a set of "J", "K" & "L" bars for you to try if you like... no problem. Not sure if I'll be back in the designers seat tonight, but if I do get some trigger time I will update immediately.

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2013.02.11, 09:50 AM   #6
hilldebrandt
hilldebrandt's hobby

I would be anxious to try those as well because I don't like how everything is lining up with the rr lower arm...

http://dorksonwheels.com(RIP)

Last edited by hilldebrandt; 2013.02.11 at 11:06 AM.
hilldebrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.11, 10:50 AM   #7
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

Thanks Ed. Anyway to make just the longer ones available instead of all of them. I hate to get something i would not be able to use
MBMZR
DG Designs
Old 2013.02.11, 11:51 AM   #8
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

Cool stuff Ed, keep us updated. I'm curious to see how they turn out.
Old 2013.02.11, 12:25 PM   #9
imxlr8ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad508 View Post
Thanks Ed. Anyway to make just the longer ones available instead of all of them. I hate to get something i would not be able to use
Ok, so when you say that with the longest Kyosho rod the wheels are still toed out... about how much would you say? Just looking for a rough estimate here so I can see if it's feasible to go up to a possible "M" & "N" size as well.

A picture of the current toed out configuration would give me an idea. I'm guessing that you are using the Kyosho W6 tie rod, correct?

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2013.02.11, 02:28 PM   #10
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

Correct. I will get some picks up tonight.
MBMZR
DG Designs
Old 2013.02.12, 12:18 AM   #11
imxlr8ed

I'm in the process of getting the "Xtreme Toe-In" Tie-rod set uploaded into my shop right now. They are the same exact progression of degree incrementations as the previous set only now you can get "J" thru "O".

I don't have one of these front ends on hand so I'm real curious what dimension will bring it around to center. If someone wants to do some intensive measuring of the steering pin center to center distance when the tires are at approximate zero, that would be a huge help. All of the Xtreme set will be longer than the Kyosho "W6".

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2013.02.12, 02:56 AM   #12
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

I have both W4 & W6 that gives 0 toe. I also have both that gives extreem toe out.

Mini-Z Norway
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.02, 12:25 AM   #13
imxlr8ed

I've just tested some of my Tie rods and I'm pretty happy with them. I ordered the regular wide rods in Polished Alumide and the extremes in Polished White.

I will no longer offer any parts in the Alumide, it is just too spongy and I wasn't too impressed by the resolution levels. The Polished White is just a better material all around! The parts in the Alumide seemed to barely survive the polishing process itself. I recieved my "rack" of rods in two pieces from Shapeways which didn't really build any confidence in that material for me whatsover! The smaller areas, like the hook that rides on the servo horn just seemed much less solid than the ones in Polished White. The parts worked just fine though, but I would rather err on the side of caution. Plus the fact that the Alumide cost a bit more it just doesn't make sense to keep them on there.

Overall, the finish on the ones I received in Polished White were really good. The resolution is good, but not good enough to make out the letters on the rods though. I will try to remedy this through the design eventually, right now I'm too busy with other jobs to get to it now. I was able to scratch out some of the powder in the areas of the letters with my exacto so they are a bit more legible.

Only thing I feel I need to address with these rods is the fitment of the knuckle pins into them. The free-play in there is the same, if not less than a stock plastic rod but I feel that a few thousandths would eliminate that entirely. My only worry then would be making it so tight that it would interfere with the travel of the knuckle, but I am pretty sure I can tighten it up a bit and get away with it.

Still have not tested the Extremes with the front end setup they were configured for. Greg from my club has that setup and as soon as he gets them from me, we'll see if I gave them enough length! I will say that on a regular front end, they give an un-driveable amount of toe-in.

I will try to get pics up soon of what I've received so far. Just keeping everyone up to date as much as possible!

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)

Last edited by imxlr8ed; 2013.03.02 at 08:56 AM.