Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.09.08, 10:51 AM   #1
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Send a message via AIM to marc Send a message via MSN to marc
Reflex Racing "beginners package"

Hello. In another thread, I found out that Reflex Racing is planning on offering a beginner's package to tweak out the stock chassis and to help you new racers start hopping-up your car's.
I've suggested that Refex offer different packages in stages. Example.
Stage One- Bearings and tires which have been said as the most crucial first upgrades to the car.
Stage Two-Same as above but with the addition of knuckles, springs, rear damper. More advanced tuning after you've gotten the hang of your car from the box.
Stage Three-All of the above with the addition of motor, motor mount, differential, disc-damper.

The different stages could be seperated, or added together. Meaning that the first stage could be as is. Second stage COULD include first stage and parts mentioned in second stage. Same said for third stage.
I think this is a great idea for beginners to start hopping up their cars since we get a lot of questions like "what's the first thing to upgrade?" and "what's the most important upgrade on a limited budget?"
I'm not trying to speak for Refex Racing here, but I am responding to what was posted in the MR02 thread and I thought I should suggest this in the beginners thread.
If anybody from Reflex Racing want's to add to this or comment on my post feel free. I sure appreciate the package I purchased as it's easy to purchase one package that includes all the recommended parts from known champions.
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.08, 11:13 AM   #2
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence, marc. Sometimes, going full-option isn't in the cards right away, so we'll also be putting together a "basic racer" package to iron out the box stock kinks. This package should be pretty competitive at the club level and address most of the issues out of the box.

Anyways, you can't go wrong with Binh & co. at ILR. They're good people. Just make sure you ask for Reflex SSG tires... hahaha!
This was in the MR02 thread under the post, "what are the mandatory upgrades?" I'd just thought I'd post this hear to clearify what was mentioned from Reflex theme selves in case anybody was wondering where I got the idea from. Hope you don't mind ruf.
Old 2008.09.09, 04:56 PM   #3
Biff
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
Hello. In another thread, I found out that Reflex Racing is planning on offering a beginner's package to tweak out the stock chassis and to help you new racers start hopping-up your car's.
I've suggested that Refex offer different packages in stages. Example.
Stage One- Bearings and tires which have been said as the most crucial first upgrades to the car.
Stage Two-Same as above but with the addition of knuckles, springs, rear damper. More advanced tuning after you've gotten the hang of your car from the box.
Stage Three-All of the above with the addition of motor, motor mount, differential, disc-damper.

The different stages could be seperated, or added together. Meaning that the first stage could be as is. Second stage COULD include first stage and parts mentioned in second stage. Same said for third stage.
I think this is a great idea for beginners to start hopping up their cars since we get a lot of questions like "what's the first thing to upgrade?" and "what's the most important upgrade on a limited budget?"
I'm not trying to speak for Refex Racing here, but I am responding to what was posted in the MR02 thread and I thought I should suggest this in the beginners thread.
If anybody from Reflex Racing want's to add to this or comment on my post feel free. I sure appreciate the package I purchased as it's easy to purchase one package that includes all the recommended parts from known champions.

In a way thats a good idea and in another it's not. They allready offer a good kit at a very affordable price. The problem with gradually doing the upgrade thing is it will cost more in the long run rather than doing it right from the beginning.

But then again maybe a whole kit for the stck racer who doesn't have any immediate plans for adding fets or the best of the best. Some sort of "Budget Racer" deal without fets, Ti screws etc?
Old 2008.09.09, 05:07 PM   #4
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

What I ment to say, is for us budget racers, you first get stage-one. Then when you have the funds again, get stage-two. Since you already have stage-one, you won't need to add it to stage-two.
If you have the funds available, then you could get something like a "professional" package which would include everything from stage-one to stage-whatever.
Old 2008.09.09, 05:40 PM   #5
Biff
Gary

Quote:
What I ment to say, is for us budget racers, you first get stage-one. Then when you have the funds again, get stage-two. Since you already have stage-one, you won't need to add it to stage-two.
If you have the funds available, then you could get something like a "professional" package which would include everything from stage-one to stage-whatever.
I follow ya! Thats a good idea! Probably the main reason I'm getting back into racing Mini Zs is because of how low cost it is compared to other types of racing. After 15 years of racing I can tell some horror stories on the cost of racing RC cars.

I have alot of faith in Joe and Cristian. I've raced with and known them for many years. They have heard my sermons more than once about growing the hobby, helping the noobies and they have listened!

And they dont leave out the 50 year old veterans either!
Old 2008.09.09, 06:11 PM   #6
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

I dont' know about Joe, but Cristian certainly seems like a nice guy, although haven't met him yet. Try the 1/43 dNano's, there expensive for their size!
I can fully hop-up a Z for the cost of a dNano, transmitter, and parts.
I got the Reflex Racing's MR02 package for my Murcielago and it's great, glad to here their starting a beginners deal.
Every time I buy a new chassis to run, I always try and get ball bearings first.
Old 2008.09.09, 06:37 PM   #7
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I follow ya! Thats a good idea! Probably the main reason I'm getting back into racing Mini Zs is because of how low cost it is compared to other types of racing. After 15 years of racing I can tell some horror stories on the cost of racing RC cars.

I have alot of faith in Joe and Cristian. I've raced with and known them for many years. They have heard my sermons more than once about growing the hobby, helping the noobies and they have listened!

And they dont leave out the 50 year old veterans either!
They are pretty good to the 60+ guy's too
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.09, 07:25 PM   #8
Biff
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
They are pretty good to the 60+ guy's too

With age comes wisdom. Our only wishes is that we pass along that wisdom to the youngsters! If they listen and learn, we did our part.

Heres something for us old pharts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYOJv...eature=related

Last edited by Biff; 2008.09.09 at 07:28 PM.
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.09, 07:28 PM   #9
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Okay, back on topic now.............
Old 2008.09.09, 11:49 PM   #10
CristianTabush

Thanks for all the kind words guys... I have been a little busy and have left some stuff fall through the cracks... I will try and have these packages up before long. I want to say that by the weekend they should be available....
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.10, 11:37 AM   #11
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Sounds great Cristian, are you guy's going with the different stage's idea? That would be awesome for people to slowly build up their cars. Just like in 1:1 scale tuneing.
Old 2008.09.18, 06:16 PM   #12
azn87

where can i buy the reflex beginer parts at???
azn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.19, 04:33 PM   #13
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Sorry man, there isn't one yet. They are in the processing of developing the package I beleive, so check back with Reflex on that.
Old 2008.09.19, 07:05 PM   #14
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quote:
I dont' know about Joe, but Cristian certainly seems like a nice guy, although haven't met him yet. Try the 1/43 dNano's, there expensive for their size!
I can fully hop-up a Z for the cost of a dNano, transmitter, and parts.
I got the Reflex Racing's MR02 package for my Murcielago and it's great, glad to here their starting a beginners deal.
Every time I buy a new chassis to run, I always try and get ball bearings first.
Biff is talking about racing 10th and 8th scale...things like an engine package (practice and race) will run you anywhere from $500usd and up. You can easily blow $5000 (racing a couple catagories) a season if you want to be uber competitive.

It's not a bad idea to offer "stages" of upgrades...it'd be useful for the person who doesn't want to research around for items that improve performance and just buy various parts packages and try them out.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.19, 07:17 PM   #15
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

That is the idea behind these stages. Us more experienced racers already know what works and what dosen't. There are ton's and ton's of questions regarding what's the first thing I should upgrade, or what's the best thing to do first to get the car track ready, et'c, et'c. I my selfe am still learning as I've recently started racing the cars I've collected and built-up.
The stages aren't only just for those begining in the hobby, but for those that are on that Top Ramen budget and/or just want to upgrade slowly.
I have no experience in racing the bigger scale cars, nor do I have any interests in theme, but I can imagine just how expensive they are compared to our small 1/28 scale series. Most really good 1/18 scale car kit's are around 300-400 dollars! Bigger, 1/10 1/8 scale is even more costly! I've seen some 1/8 scale RC cars in Europe that are the price of today's used Honda Civics! EEEEEEEK! I think if you can afford those, you don't have to worry about stages.
But seriously, stages is a great way to slowly build up your car.