Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.06.02, 05:08 PM   #1
crazyracer

Send a message via Skype™ to crazyracer
2.4GHz ASF System Program

Japanese Setting Guide
http://www.pnracing.us/ics_setting_guide.pdf

vol. 2008 May Software
Engliash Version Software 2.4 ASF

You need to buy KO Propo ICS USB Adapter [Parts # 61018]
http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/s...oducts_id=2723

Last edited by crazyracer; 2008.08.21 at 12:53 PM.
crazyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.02, 05:47 PM   #2
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

exellent work!
i have the cable and usb already
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
The uk's premier shop for mini-z
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
mk2kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.02, 06:21 PM   #3
Volt

So this will allow I.C.S. settings adjustment for both the ASF Z and the dNaNo?

Do you happen to have a link to the manual or a screen shot showing some of the different settings? Like the guide linked above only in English.

Last edited by Volt; 2008.06.02 at 06:24 PM.
Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.02, 06:47 PM   #4
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

its very similar to the AD band settings you can find the english version on the ko usa site
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
Old 2008.06.03, 02:20 AM   #5
HaCo
02-Racer

Hi,

Just want to share some experiences.

The manual says something about manipulating the switch and the pushbutton with batteries when you connect the car to the PC. Well, we found out (actually WeBoC did) that this is not necessary. You don't need the batteries and if you have them in, keep the switch off. Simply use the 3-wire cable provided with the KO kit and this will supply voltage to the board. Press the button, keep it pressed down and connect the cable to the board. The LED light next to the connector needs to be bright and you can start programming.

About the settings, this is what I fount on the KO Propo website about the old ICS adapter: http://www.kopropo.com/MINIZ_HG_MGR%20Ver1.0_E.pdf

GAIN(gain) --> Steering
The characteristic of the steering servo is changed. The maintenance characteristic changed is the power that starts the holding position of the servo when power is applied.A setting value of 3 (High) can be switched to 1 (Low). The characteristic being changed is the amount of power that is applied at the starting position of the servo when force is applied.
SPEED(speed) --> Steering
This is the speed that the servo will operate. A setting value of 3 (High) can be switched to 1 (Low). The operation speed of the servo changes depending on a setting value.
PUNCH(punch) --> Steering
This is the reactive speed of the initial movement of the servo. A setting value of 10 (High) can be switched to 1 (Low). A low setting value creates a movement in the servo similar to an analog servo. A low setting value might be good when the movement of the steering wheel is too sensitive and hard to control.
DEAD BAND(dead band) --> Steering
This is the setting of the neutral band of the servo. A setting value of 1 (Low) can be switched to 5 (High). If the value is small, the dead band becomes small and the movement of the servo becomes sensitive.
DUMP(dampening) --> Steering
The characteristic of the servo stopping at center can be adjusted. As the movement of the servo returns to the center, setting 1 applies a brake in the approach to center and setting 2 applies a brake at center.
DRIVE FREQ(drive frequency) --> Throttle
The drive frequency of the throttle can be changed to three settings. The frequency of the entire throttle advancement changes. In general, run-time decreases though the torque increases in the low frequency setting (value Low).

This if for the OLD ICS version with some other values, but the explanation still counts. I added 'steering' or 'throttle', to quickly show you which setting is for what.

So, what is still missing and from my experience:
NUTRAL --> Throttle
It's the same as 'Dead Band', but then for throttle. Applying the narrow setting didn't allow me to get in reverse anymore, probably a problem of trimming. The wide should allow you to get more easily in reverse. But that is just a consequence of the setting. The setting itself makes your throttle more or less sensitive. (this is my explination, not the one of KO Propo)

V INERTIA (Virtual Inertia) --> Throttle
This is something quite special. It gives you the feeling, when releasing the throttle at some speed, that your car is heavier than it is. This means it will roll a lot more far then it would normally do. Setting this off, will give you, that is my impression, the normal roll of the car. This setting is IMO very handy with motors with strong magnets on big tracks: you will have the torque and it will brake less the car when releasing the throttle. (this is my explination, not the one of KO Propo)

For the V Inertia setting I wish they added a -1 value, some sort of 10% autobrake, but that is not the case. I would come in handy in narrow track when using an X-Speed motor, which doesn't brake very well by itself.

This is just from our (WeBoC and myself) first testevening, so a lot more ideas will pop up I guess...

Greetz from Belgium.
HaCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.03, 09:16 AM   #6
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

v inertia sounds very interesting,ideal for my awd
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
Old 2008.06.03, 12:51 PM   #7
color01

That does sound interesting, kinda like setting the throttle trim forward except more carefully managed.

crazyracer, is there any word about whether or not we can tune-out the ASF board's 0.2sec delay between brake and reverse? That's been the most annoying problem with the whole system thus far, I'd love to fix it somehow.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.04, 02:12 AM   #8
crazyracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01 View Post
That does sound interesting, kinda like setting the throttle trim forward except more carefully managed.

crazyracer, is there any word about whether or not we can tune-out the ASF board's 0.2sec delay between brake and reverse? That's been the most annoying problem with the whole system thus far, I'd love to fix it somehow.

I can't find any setting can change dealy time of reverse, I had talk with KO, they said will add in to software, may be on next version, this version is 1.0.
Old 2008.06.04, 07:18 AM   #9
Sinister_Y

In case anyone would like a step by step instruction on this, please read below. Note that you have to get the KO Propo ICS USB Adapter:

For newbies without AD Band programming experience and have not installed anything yet:

1. download program as noted by crazyracer in 1st post. Ignore the one on the CD from KO
2. plug in ICS USB adapter into computer (that is already turned on)
3. when asked by windows for drivers, insert CD from KO and browse for the driver folder. Select it and move on with the various instructions
4. computer will then alert that a new serial USB device was found. this is the adapter again. repeat step 3 above. The computer should now alert you that "your new hardware is ready to use"
5. go to start, control panel, system and then select the "hardware" tab.
6. select "device manager" and then search for the ICS USB adapter. Note the COM number that the computer is showing. For my personal case, it was COM 3, yours may vary.
7. follow step 3 onwards in the "For Ad-band experienced users" section below

For AD-band experienced users:

1. delete your old version of the KO program in your computer
2. download the new program as noted by crazyracer in 1st post
3. run the program. Note-as you already know the COM port that the ICS adapter is on from before, select it in the drop down menu
4. make sure there are batteries in the car (from my experience I couldn't get it to work like a previous post had suggested)
5. plug in the ICS adapter into the 2.4 board (car). Make sure that the white wire is the one at the front end of the car and that you plug into the right most set of pins (3 pins) of the board.
6. hold down the pairing button while turning on the power of the car. The light on the board should be brightly lit.
7. use the software as needed. consult the previous posts on the various settings

Good luck.

P.S. note that the computer icon with the right pointed arrow is the "download" command, i.e. write the settings to the car. Note that if you want to reset the settings in the board, you must first reset the software settings by pressing the "reset" button and then download it to the car. Then everything is fresh.

For newbies, note that from my experience you must always select the COM port setting in the ICS software everytime you start the program up. I don't know of a way to save this. So don't freak out if things aren't working. Make sure that the COM port is selected correctly.

Last edited by Sinister_Y; 2008.06.04 at 07:22 AM.
Sinister_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.04, 09:19 AM   #10
imxlr8ed

Drag braking would be a great addition, but I know for sure that the reverse delay is the biggest reason that I would be interested in getting the kit. Hopefully our guys at KO Propo can get this going for us.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.04, 10:40 AM   #11
Aurora

Thanks for sharing the info and software, crazyracer, that's very kind of you!

At first, I have heard rumor that the old ICS program will work with the board, even using the three pins of the socket. I tried, but no luck. I guessed what was missing in my trial was the process of 'pairing' when turning 'on' the car.

But this new program and the process work like a charm. The interface works very much like the BET AD band (miniz lit) ICS program.

In case any KO people are reading, I too like to cast another vote to adjust the 0.2 reverse delay. That was the main reason why I am quite reluctant to use this new technology for racing in my local track point-series.

Every feature on 2.4G is well suited for race (no interference, longer range, lower car profile, faster response...), and I just really really wish they could fix the 0.2 sec delay soon!
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.04, 12:08 PM   #12
Tjay

Thanks for sharing the info guys!
Tjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.18, 11:32 PM   #13
crazyracer

you just use setting Nutral to Wide, that will be easy to reverse.
Old 2008.07.10, 10:39 PM   #14
limbohz
RC Newbie

very nice. hey TJ you got one of these? bring it tomorrow (friday)
limbohz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.11, 01:55 AM   #15
Tjay

^ I wish brotha!
Tjay is offline   Reply With Quote