Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2019.11.19, 12:21 PM   #1
CyberGeorge

Body for MR-03EVO Chassis Set N-MM2 4100KV

I think I want to try this chassis to see if I can get around my track easier. I have an EVO and a VE Pro. The EVO has the 12000KV motor in it and I ordered a 5600KV for it to try as well. I'm running it at 20% travel with the EX6R now. I am using the Mini-96 (30cm) track from RCP and find that I have to be very precise around the corners with the longer bodies (98mm). A 90mm stock Porsche GT3 takes the turns quicker, but of course, it's a bit more twitchy.

I am thinking the 94mm MM2 with the 4100 would be a good middle ground that should handle well on my track. Assuming that's the case (and please, feel free to comment if not), what bodies would be compatible with it? I like the Ferrari, Porsche, SC430 or anything like that style. Seems that the Ferrari 360 is 94mm but I'm not sure that it would fit over the MM2. I'd like to keep the MM2 mount to try it out. I have MM and RM, so wanted to experience the MM2.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
CyberGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.11.19, 01:45 PM   #2
LJH

I run everything from 86mm to 102mm cars on my Mini-96 and I would not say one length is any better than another in getting around the course, in fact my LM (102mm) car is my fastest MR03 on track.

Since you are running a Mini96 track why don't you join us for the Mini96 World Challenge:

https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-m...challenge.html

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.11.19, 07:37 PM   #3
KWT

The Ferrari bodies will be hard to get. The different bodies will affect the way the car drives.

Also, the rear spring can be removed if hits the body.
KWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.11.19, 09:21 PM   #4
titanmaru

I'm not sure if you will be running N-MM2 or W-MM2. But I'm running N-MM2 with the new Impreza STI body. But if you want to run W-MM2, I think that NSX-GT is a very good choice.
titanmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.11.20, 07:35 AM   #5
CyberGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH View Post
I run everything from 86mm to 102mm cars on my Mini-96 and I would not say one length is any better than another in getting around the course, in fact my LM (102mm) car is my fastest MR03 on track.

Since you are running a Mini96 track why don't you join us for the Mini96 World Challenge:

https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-m...challenge.html

Cheers,
Jim
Thank you for the info. I must be doing something wrong with the longer bodies, then. I’ll recheck everything. Maybe I still have stock tires on those. I am very new to this and only have less than 20 total laps on the track for each of my five cars. I am also new to RC.

The challenge is very tempting. I am probably nowhere close to these times, but I am almost finished with an EasyLap system and will post for the heck of it. Thank you for sending the link. There are no racers where I’m at, so this is really cool for me. In fact I just posted another thread in the tracks forum to find some other racers and I am also talking to the local RC racing club (they race 1/10 on road).
Old 2019.11.20, 07:39 AM   #6
CyberGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanmaru View Post
I'm not sure if you will be running N-MM2 or W-MM2. But I'm running N-MM2 with the new Impreza STI body. But if you want to run W-MM2, I think that NSX-GT is a very good choice.
Thank you! I’ll try the NSX-GT. I don’t have a preference between W or N and I can switch easily. I just want a body I like that will work with the MM2. I guess the car I quoted that Kyosho sells can be expanded to 98mm with a different T plate. It comes as 94mm.
Old 2019.11.20, 10:13 AM   #7
SuperFly
bitPimp

I think you will like the 5600 motor much better, try 11/53 gearing with it.

My favorite 94mm bodies are Ferrari 575, F430, and 360 GTC Nissan 350Z. The 575 is +2/+3, and the other three are +1/+1. I haven't had any trouble running all of those with a MM/disc damper.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.11.20, 10:20 AM   #8
CyberGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly View Post
I think you will like the 5600 motor much better, try 11/53 gearing with it.

My favorite 94mm bodies are Ferrari 575, F430, and 360 GTC Nissan 350Z. The 575 is +2/+3, and the other three are +1/+1. I haven't had any trouble running all of those with a MM/disc damper.
Thank you. Do you think these bodies will work with the MM2 configuration?

When you say I will like the 5600 much better, do you mean compared to the 4100KV that comes in the new model I am purchasing or the 12000KV I have now in the EVO, which I will replace with the 5600?
Old 2019.11.20, 10:28 AM   #9
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGeorge View Post
Thank you. Do you think these bodies will work with the MM2 configuration?

When you say I will like the 5600 much better, do you mean compared to the 4100KV that comes in the new model I am purchasing or the 12000KV I have now in the EVO, which I will replace with the 5600?
Compared to the 12000. That motor is just too much for most drivers and tracks, including me and the tracks we usually drive. It's like driving a Formula One car in downtown traffic. I've tried several of the different brushless flavors (3500, 5500, 7500, 9500, 12000), and I like the 5500 (I have the PN, not the Kyosho 5600, but they are very similar) best. I find the 3500 to be fun and easy to drive, but I feel just slightly underpowered. I can match speed via gearing to a 70T, but the torque isn't there. All the motors beyond 5500 I just have to dial power out at the controller. I imagine the 4100 will be pretty nice as well, and maybe that will become the new 70T / HFAY spec equivalent.

Those bodies should work fine with MM2, though I've been using older PN MM and disk damper/spring. I haven't had any trouble with clearance with any of those bodies. The 575 is slightly tubby, but very stable. The 350z is a little twitchy and can snag on walls easily. The F430 and the 360 are similar to each other.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z

Last edited by SuperFly; 2019.11.20 at 10:31 AM.
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.11.20, 10:37 AM   #10
CyberGeorge

Prefect. Thank you so much for this information!
Old 2019.11.21, 07:26 AM   #11
LJH

Quote:
Thank you for the info. I must be doing something wrong with the longer bodies, then. I’ll recheck everything. Maybe I still have stock tires on those. I am very new to this and only have less than 20 total laps on the track for each of my five cars. I am also new to RC.

The challenge is very tempting. I am probably nowhere close to these times, but I am almost finished with an EasyLap system and will post for the heck of it. Thank you for sending the link. There are no racers where I’m at, so this is really cool for me. In fact I just posted another thread in the tracks forum to find some other racers and I am also talking to the local RC racing club (they race 1/10 on road).
Heck, if you only have 20 laps total so far and new to RC I would not worry about anything other then driving. Just keep running laps with the smallest pinion and when you can run 10 fast laps in a row without a mistake gear up and do it again.

Seriously fight the temptation to start modding the car, you do not know the car well enough to be able to detect changes after doing a mod so you will not learn from the changes. Box stock cars, especially with the MM2 mount run really quite well.

As for bodies I have a 575GTC and a 360GTC. The 360 was my first 94mm body when I first got my Mini96 track and I found it fairly unforgiving and ended up selling it and shifted to the 575 which is quite forgiving but may be lacking some pace. I just found a 360GTC white body for a reasonable price and will be trying that again as I am now pretty decent in getting around the track.

The Mini96 World Challenge is a easy way to "compete" against others. I had a traumatic spinal cord injury in February of '18 and these little cars and track make it really easy for me to get my RC fix compared to flying my RC planes and being a full scale motor head I love the scale realism of the bodies that Kyosho offers.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.11.21, 07:49 AM   #12
CyberGeorge

Thanks, Jim. Yes, I’m not trying to mod to go fast. I’m trying to get something that will be easy to drive, so I don’t bump it as much. I’ve just about got it to where I can only do 3 laps without bumping anything.

I thought switching to the lowest KV motor I could and smallest pinion would be working toward that goal. The 4100KV is currently out of stock, but you can buy the car. That’s why I asked about the body. The MM2 mount seemed like it was going to be better than other mounts, again for a more stable drive for me, not faster. I have also read about tires, so I got a few of those. I know I don’t have enough experience yet to mess with dampers, springs and the like; just aiming at a stable car for me to learn on.

I also saw there is a 3500KV motor from PN, but got really confused about the mounts I need and what else I need to change, so gave up on that. 4100 seems close enough and I’ll gear it down as well as set the transmitter to a restricted throttle travel. With the 12000KV EVO for example, I have the EX-6R set to 10%

The World Challenge is helping a lot and I will participate in a couple more weeks. I’m half way through the thread trying to gather up information about more stable setups. I copied yours and Duckman’s so far. I have 5 cars right now and was trying to figure out which one would best to practice with (two MR-03: Porsche GT3 and McLaren P1, a VE PRO, an EVO RWD and an EVO AWD). It took me forever to figure things out with some problems I had that eventually I solved with the ICS. So, I can drive now.

After the previous comments about the longer bodies performing just as well and better than the shorter ones even on a tight track with sharp turns, I looked at everything again. Apparently, the steering travel was set to a default value (90) for some of these cars that wasn’t allowing enough steering angle and I was having problems getting around the turns if I wasn’t taking them really wide. I increased that and now as was said earlier I can drive the longer bodies fine as well.

I decided to try the box stock category first, so I was running the Porsche GT3 yesterday, which is 90mm. I’m not sure what the stock motor is, but it sounds like I can run it in the box stock class. I’ll just change the tires, because it hops under acceleration and on some turns. I also noticed the front left shock is binding a bit, but I think that’s just a matter of filing some part down. I’ll get to it.
Old 2019.11.23, 01:40 AM   #13
titanmaru

Quote:
Thank you! I’ll try the NSX-GT. I don’t have a preference between W or N and I can switch easily. I just want a body I like that will work with the MM2. I guess the car I quoted that Kyosho sells can be expanded to 98mm with a different T plate. It comes as 94mm.
I'm sorry, I just realized that there are 2 variations of NSX-GT. The old model and new model. The old model is 94mm while the new model is 98mm wheelbase. You will need the old model to run with MM2
titanmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.11.23, 08:38 AM   #14
CyberGeorge

Quote:
I'm sorry, I just realized that there are 2 variations of NSX-GT. The old model and new model. The old model is 94mm while the new model is 98mm wheelbase. You will need the old model to run with MM2
Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thank you!
Old 2019.11.23, 09:23 PM   #15
KWT

Quote:
Not true, the MM2 mount can be adjusted to 98mm. The Porsche GT3 can be harder to drive due to the motor being behind the axle. I suggest you practice with the MR03 first. The Mclaren F1 GTR LM body is a good body to drive.
KWT is offline   Reply With Quote