Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Mini RC

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 2007.08.04, 07:23 PM   #46
byebye

So hows it run?

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.04, 08:24 PM   #47
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
That's just it, Tape or zip tie another 130 motor to the front clip and try to drive around the track with it. That is going into a turn on throttle it will spin out, and off throttle it will push. There is no in between here.

This combo look's way better than it drives. Needless to say I understand the Kyosho body on an Xmods chassis better than this setup. Really, this body has set in my body pile for a long time. This is my least favorite body to run. It shows me the hinderence that an Xmods body has.

Last edited by HammerZ; 2007.08.04 at 08:28 PM.
HammerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.13, 09:55 AM   #48
Kel

djfourmoney-I see you have taken advantage of the sale at Radioshack. Post up your xmod when you finish it.

I have been runing the Mini-z body for a while now and have yet to run into any problems with it. It has held on great. You can really tell that it weighs less and makes car faster and easier to handle.

I just got some parts in the mail today. They are just some random pieces that I think should be used to increase precision and smoothness.

GPM alloy front knuckles
GPM alloy steering tie rod
Atomic Ball diff for EVO

I can't wait to try these out. I will get more pics, install them and see how it runs. I will update later tonight.
Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.13, 10:57 AM   #49
Limeaway
MA-010 Owner

Send a message via AIM to Limeaway
Whoo! Finally someone bought the Atomic diff, I have yet to hear how they perform!
Limeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.13, 06:44 PM   #50
Kel

Everything is installed and tested out. I must say that the front axe stubs are one of the best things I have bought for this chassis. They take out the rest of the slop that the bearings didn't fix, and made it much more precise. Look how shiny they are:

And they look good on the chassis too.

And the alloy tie rod does not bend with the suspension like the stock one and holds both wheels pointing the same direction. Once you put in in though, you need to recenter the pot on the servo so it runs straight.

And finally the rear ball diff from atomic.... I hate it. It does not even mesh with the stock bevel gear and it clicks from time to time. I think you need to buy an atomic bevel gear for it to work. And when you tighten the LSD it tightens the diff action, which makes it not even perform right. You have to tighten it a ton so it does not slip, and then the ball diff action is very stiff. I am going back to the blue diff soon. Don't even waste your money on this one.

I think I am going to take a break from the Evo chassis, since I'm pretty pissed that the ball diff doesn't work. But I'm sure I will be racing it soon, maybe at the Radioshack in the mall, and smoke little kids with the stock motor, haha.

Kel
Old 2007.08.13, 11:42 PM   #51
Limeaway
MA-010 Owner

How unfortunate. Being that it comes from Atomic, you'd think it'd be up to par with their mini-z aftermarket quality.
Old 2007.08.14, 07:00 AM   #52
byebye

Kel how about a a recommended parts list?

Kris
Old 2007.08.20, 03:46 PM   #53
Kel

Just got back from a busy week. sure byebye, here is a complete list of mods that I used to make the Xmod what mine is now and other suggestions:

Chassis:
-2nd Gen EVO with blue board
-Bearings (soak them in a light electric spray)
-Blue diff
-Wide rear axels
-Soft(Red) suspension all around
-thick grease in suspension tubes
-thick grease on all servo gears
-Battery tray positioned toward rear
-GPM alloy front axel stubs
-GPM alloy tie rod
-Drill underside of motor endbell for comm drops
-stock gearing
-Intellect 750's

Body:
-take out all screws and replace with glue
-shave inside plastic
-switch to a Mini-Z body

TX:
-upgrade to hobby size antenna
-find one that doesn't glitch (the new 2nd gen EVO ones)

I would say that after buying a EVO and putting about $50-$60 worth into it, you can get a pretty serious racer. I'm sure I will update again sometime, but don't expect it to be soon, I will be busy driving my X-mod.

Kel
Old 2007.08.20, 09:21 PM   #54
minizforever

Send a message via AIM to minizforever
If I were you I would go ahead and get a motor from AM, v2.2 board and some important alloys...

--Signature your in it put ,this read to time the took you if.--
minizforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.21, 05:54 AM   #55
byebye

Cool Kel thanks! Don't forget to give us a race review.

Kris
Old 2007.08.22, 08:40 AM   #56
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Kel, Im sad to hear about the atomic diff. I was really hoping it would be a big step up from the GPM replacement diff, which was crap as well. I ended up running stock diffs tuned with grease when it all came down to it. I had hoped you would bring some life back into my hopes of running an xmod again, but at the price range you are talking about, I can gt a used miniZ which would be FAR superior IMO. I hope you prove me wrong with your race reasults, and I would be very happy to see you compare to some of the HFAY tracks as arch mentioned before. That would be the perfect 'control' IMO.

I hope you dont mind, but I quoted a bit of your thread. There was some one on another board asking about mounting a Z body onto the X chassis. I havent seen a better mounting job than yours so I posted your stuff over there. Of course I gave credit where it is due and posted a link to this thread so it can help non MZR members as well.

Here is a link to the thread I posted so you can check it out.
http://www.xmoding.com/showthread.php?t=9626

If you have any objections to this at all LMK, and Ill get that post removed.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.23, 05:23 PM   #57
Kel

Thats not a problem at all hrdrvr, I'm glad to have helped someone. Yes the atomic diff is a downfall, but the blue diff is working fine for now, just put some grease in it and it is smooth enough for decent turns.

I have been running against my other xmods, and this one by far smokes them, if any of you have seen my lithium powered xmod from a long time ago (gen1) or any lithium powered xmod for that matter, they really do suck on the track. I am lapping it with the stock motor, which brings me to my next improvement-the motor. I have completely broken in the stock motor and added comm drops to it, which is why I think it has sped up a bit, but now it is time for a real power up. I have discovered earlier in this thread that the Xmod FET's are better than a stock mini-z's by far. I just need to see how much better they are. I going to try dropping in different motors and change the gearing a bit and see what happens. I dont plan to fry the FET's, but I think they will be alright on some of the hotter motors. First, I'm going to take the stage 2 motor from the packaging and see how that does. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 2007.09.03, 12:04 AM   #58
yamar6

i bought the atomic front,rear and the bevel gear.they suck i wasted almost 50.00 dollars and i don't even use them.i emailed them but they never got back to me.it seems like they made them like crap because it's for an xmod.i really thought they would make the evo smooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel
Everything is installed and tested out. I must say that the front axe stubs are one of the best things I have bought for this chassis. They take out the rest of the slop that the bearings didn't fix, and made it much more precise. Look how shiny they are:

And they look good on the chassis too.

And the alloy tie rod does not bend with the suspension like the stock one and holds both wheels pointing the same direction. Once you put in in though, you need to recenter the pot on the servo so it runs straight.

And finally the rear ball diff from atomic.... I hate it. It does not even mesh with the stock bevel gear and it clicks from time to time. I think you need to buy an atomic bevel gear for it to work. And when you tighten the LSD it tightens the diff action, which makes it not even perform right. You have to tighten it a ton so it does not slip, and then the ball diff action is very stiff. I am going back to the blue diff soon. Don't even waste your money on this one.

I think I am going to take a break from the Evo chassis, since I'm pretty pissed that the ball diff doesn't work. But I'm sure I will be racing it soon, maybe at the Radioshack in the mall, and smoke little kids with the stock motor, haha.

Kel
yamar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.03, 05:31 PM   #59
Limeaway
MA-010 Owner

What a let down from Atomic. So much for good quality aftermarket support.
Old 2007.09.03, 08:10 PM   #60
MidwestRacer10

this is an awesome project. I wish i would have seen this a week or two earlier. I just gave my xmod evo away to some little kids at my church.

My church is like my local club. theres like 5 kids that race every wednesday and sunday. I cant wait to get my z and smoke them all. None of them really know about tuning. they just put the biggest motors in and all the upgrades they can. they only practice drifting never just driving and turning.

its a shame to see them spend so much money and waste a lot of it on useless stuff. But they never listen to me so... i guess i will smoke them even more he he
MidwestRacer10 is offline   Reply With Quote