Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2019.12.13, 09:33 AM   #1
ramian

What do I have?

This has been sitting on my display shelf for the past at least 18 years (i think). With my boys (2 and 5 years old) starting to show interest in RC cars, I dusted this off, and tested it out. It runs great, but I soon realized why I never actually played with it when I bought it all those years back; I frankly don't have the dexterity to control such a fast and nimble toy. I really love the progressive steering and throttle, but don't see myself playing with it by myself or with my boys because I'm worried either I or my rambunctious boys will break it.

- it has only been run twice (once when bought, and then again last week to test that it was still running)
- it is completely stock

Which version of the Mini-Z is this? Does it have any resale value? Where would be the best place to sell this to someone who would appreciate it?
ramian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.12.13, 11:51 AM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
MR-01 RM. It’s so old that only real value is from nostalgia buyer. If you just want to just sell it to get rid of it, message me. Realistically, anywhere from say $30-75 at most on eBay.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.12.13, 09:49 PM   #3
ramian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
MR-01 RM. Itís so old that only real value is from nostalgia buyer. If you just want to just sell it to get rid of it, message me. Realistically, anywhere from say $30-75 at most on eBay.
Thanks for your reply.
30-75 sounds like a pretty wide range if it is that old. I mean, if I can only get 30 for it, I'll probably just keep it around; but if I can get closer to 75, then I'd be somewhat inclined to sell it.

Would you know if there are any "nostalgia buyers" here on this forum who would be keen on something like this?

or

If I were to keep it around and just play it with my kids, I'll need to get tires with better grip on my polished hardwood/marble floors.
Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 2019.12.14, 07:11 PM   #4
arch2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramian View Post
Thanks for your reply.
30-75 sounds like a pretty wide range if it is that old. I mean, if I can only get 30 for it, I'll probably just keep it around; but if I can get closer to 75, then I'd be somewhat inclined to sell it.

Would you know if there are any "nostalgia buyers" here on this forum who would be keen on something like this?

or

If I were to keep it around and just play it with my kids, I'll need to get tires with better grip on my polished hardwood/marble floors.
Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Nostalgia is subjective thus the wide range. It all depends on how much someone wants it and thus willing to pay. If your looking for real numbers, just search eBay for SOLD auctions for Kyosho MR-01 and look at what has sold in the last 4 months or so.

There is no practical use in racing an MR-01 anymore. the tech is just so old and parts difficult to come by. Keep it, sell it, makes no difference to me. I wouldn't mind having a good condition MR-01 in my collection but not something I'm very interested in paying top dollar for either.
Old 2019.12.15, 08:12 AM   #5
ramian

Thank you.
Old 2019.12.15, 11:04 PM   #6
TPDazzle

If you want to keep it and run on hardwood, I've had good luck with PN racing med slick fronts and soft radial rears on my wood floor. You can get them at Kenon Hobbies. Make sure you vacuum up the dust first. Also you should a few different pinion gears that came with the car. Use the smallest you have and turn down the throttle a bit (if that controller can). It will help make the car a bit more manageable while you or your kids are learning to drive it.
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.12.16, 06:40 AM   #7
arch2b

If you do run it, be aware that the front steering does not have a servo saver and prone to breaking servo gears so drive with diligence/care. I think your better off buying one of the My First mini-zís for giving something to kids to play with as you wonít have to worry about a transmitter with 2ft antenna that kids use for any number of inappropriate things (my kids had this model back in the day) nor as concerned with breaking parts.
Old 2019.12.18, 08:50 AM   #8
ramian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPDazzle
If you want to keep it and run on hardwood, I've had good luck with PN racing med slick fronts and soft radial rears on my wood floor. You can get them at Kenon Hobbies. Make sure you vacuum up the dust first. Also you should a few different pinion gears that came with the car. Use the smallest you have and turn down the throttle a bit (if that controller can). It will help make the car a bit more manageable while you or your kids are learning to drive it.
Thank you for the tires recommendation. Unfortunately, I don't live in the US, and so will have to depend on eBay where the options I'm seeing are severely limited, and the prices nearly double. I'm also checking with a local hobby shop on availability of mini-Z parts. KenonHobby lists the tires separately as front/rear, but I presume they are inter-changeable.

Also, the controller only has throttle and steering trim. Don't think I can adjust the sensitivity on this. I do have a relic Futaba controller from my 1/10 RC car, but while that does have throttle control, I don't know if it will accept the frequency crystal from this Mini-Z, or if the controller is still in working condition (it is at least 5 years older than this Mini-Z set).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b
If you do run it, be aware that the front steering does not have a servo saver and prone to breaking servo gears so drive with diligence/care. I think your better off buying one of the My First mini-zís for giving something to kids to play with as you wonít have to worry about a transmitter with 2ft antenna that kids use for any number of inappropriate things (my kids had this model back in the day) nor as concerned with breaking parts.
Yeah, I'm realizing the fragility of this car, and the need to be careful. If this does indeed break, I'm considering the similarly sized wltoys K989 (instead of another mini-z), which also seems to have progressive steering, but with a proper steering servo, and with a significantly more affordable price tag, and availability of spare parts.

Actually, since spare parts/accessories for the K989 are more readily available, would the generic stuff (wheels/tires, pinion/server gears) be also compatible with my mini-z?
Old 2019.12.19, 08:16 PM   #9
KWT

Front tires are 8.5mm wide and rear tires are 11mm wide.

If you post what country you are in, maybe someone could point you to a local source or at least a cheaper mail order place.
KWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.12.24, 09:50 AM   #10
ramian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWT View Post
Front tires are 8.5mm wide and rear tires are 11mm wide.
I just measured mine, and both front and rear tires are 8.5mm wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWT View Post
If you post what country you are in, maybe someone could point you to a local source or at least a cheaper mail order place.
Thanks. I'm in Singapore.
I found a local distributor who has them for equivalent of USD 8 a set.

Anyhow, after couple of slightly enthusiastic sessions with my boys, the clips on the body of my mini-z have broken off. I tried using cyanoacrylate glue, but the body plastic seems to be melting off at the point of contact with the glue.

The top photo shows the red plastic "melting" off at the clip area, whereas the side which I had not tried fixing is not melting off.

I'm not sure if this is normal. If not for cyanoacrylate glue, what else should I use to glue back the clips?

Thanks!
Old 2019.12.24, 10:05 AM   #11
arch2b

it shouldn't melt the plastic but old bodies are of a different plastic material so... you can use any glue really. Goop, Shoe Goo, Walthers Glue, etc. I prefer something that remains a bit flexible so its less prone to breaking off under impact.
Old 2019.12.24, 08:39 PM   #12
herman

Ah... Singapore lah...

http://www.mini-zsg.com/
11 Woodlands Close, #10-01, Woodlands 11, Singapore

Try visiting but I suggest to call them first... cool bunch of guys... fred chia and top driver dave Tang... I also remember an alvin... I've written an article on the place ages ago... I think they moved though...

Regarding your body posts try a 5 min epoxy... it'll harden as a rock... just make sure you want to fix it at the right place or it will be a pain to relocate...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.12.24, 08:43 PM   #13
herman

Here's that article... hope you enjoy reading... they used to be called atomic collective...

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showth...ight=Singapore
herman is offline   Reply With Quote