Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2017.01.09, 07:46 PM   #1
Traveler
of both Time and Space

What is the go to NiMH AAA these days?

I haven't raced my Zs in a few years, and noticed that my go to TRP 900s are not available. What are racers using these days?
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.09, 08:34 PM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I'm interested in knowing as well...

Typically, the newest production run have lower internal resistance... Don't know if companies are still matching cells and giving numbers of runtime and resistance.
Old 2017.01.09, 08:52 PM   #3
TeeSquared
Redline

Eneloops are a good bet, but I find they don't last as long as I would like. Still, if you are diligent about shopping around they can be had relatively inexpensively and work well before they reach the end of their life. I never counted but my best guess was 3-400 cycles in Mini-Zs before they were starting to slow down.
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.09, 08:54 PM   #4
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

Can't speak for everyone but in the club I race with most use duratrax 750mah.
Old 2017.01.09, 08:55 PM   #5
DMALMAD

best AAAs are these(because they are not nimh ): http://www kenonhobby com/PN-Racing-...s_p_45827.html

honestly, the fact that you have to ask which nimhs are the best demonstrates why the answer is none. Go lipo and save yourself time and money.

DMR MPC 1/27th Aftermarket Pan Chassis

Last edited by mleemor60; 2017.01.10 at 05:47 AM. Reason: link with pricing
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.10, 12:44 AM   #6
TeeSquared
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMALMAD View Post
honestly, the fact that you have to ask which nimhs are the best demonstrates why the answer is none. Go lipo and save yourself time and money.
Lipo is great, but a lot of racing classes will restrict their use so it's still worthwhile to know what NiMHs out there are worth buying
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.10, 01:20 AM   #7
DMALMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeSquared View Post
Lipo is great, but a lot of racing classes will restrict their use so it's still worthwhile to know what NiMHs out there are worth buying
you're right I didn't consider that. I may have jumped the gun on that one a little, I just hate the fact that people still run nimhs

DMR MPC 1/27th Aftermarket Pan Chassis
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.10, 01:47 AM   #8
Racer-HH

I run TRP 747 and Marka cells.
Old 2017.01.10, 07:08 AM   #9
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
...and trade venting cells for venting and exploding cells these aren't like PC's or cell phone in which the use and operation is strictly designed and controlled for obvious reason (ask samsung). who hasn't forgotten to take cells out of a chassis or left the chassis on? how many stick around the full length of cells being cycled to make sure they are attended? just a few examples you commonly see at events where LiPo is not the norm. going LiPo takes reinvestment in equipment, practices, routines, etc. it's not free and likely not less expensive overall but that depends really on what cells your buying, how many and how often, all of which are subjective factors which makes it far from a universal truth. i have no doubt that in time (sooner than later) LiPo will be as ubiquitous as NiMh AAA. currently however, and for a long time now, NiMh can be found anywhere, nearly as universal as the alkaline AAA. blatant disregard of one over the other isn't informative.

some follow up questions that would proceed a recommendation to LiPo for example; does the racing you participate in permit LiPo? Does the chassis you run permit LiPo (even PN had to amend their posts and store to include warning on limit of cells with stock PCB)? Do you already have battery equipment that support LiPo?
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.10, 07:20 AM   #10
arch2b

If i could make one recommendation on NiMh cells, don't follow the herd so to speak and buy the most expensive cell available/marketed. with adequate selection, care and management, even cheap Duratrax will perform very well.
There is also the consideration of what type of racing you will be doing, as mentioned, some cells are more suited to certain formats as i'm sure you know very well. If you could provide a bit more detail, it would be easier to make recommendations that are more relevant to you.
In general, batteries are often a subjective purchase based on personal preference and experience. you will get many different recommendations based on varied experiences as people tend to have their favorites. there is a long history here of battery focused threads that attest to this.
Old 2017.01.10, 11:59 AM   #11
EMU
EMUracing

I have personally been considering and look. Since I don't rave regularly, do they hold up better over time while being stored?

I had great results with those duratrax cells for stock racing years ago. They had few good cycles, but the punch in the first 20 cycles made them very competitive. If they weren't cheap, and you didn't have time to weed out the dead cells, then they wouldn't have been a good option.
Old 2017.01.10, 12:20 PM   #12
briankstan

I purchased quite a few matched sets years back. I feel that the Peak 900's are pretty good and mainly what I run. I also have some of the TRP 747's and they are good as well. I don't think really there is much difference, maybe just a very slight improvement. Unless you can run your track error free for the whole race, and at a really fast pace you won't really gain much with matching packs. it's that extra little bit that it can give you, if you can use it.

usually I just run them in the 4 pack that they came it. If they feel like they are slower then I set them aside for checking as there is probably a suspect cell. I'll weed out the bad cells and make new sets. Pretty simple really and I try not to make it too complicated.
Old 2017.01.10, 12:42 PM   #13
arch2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
...I had great results with those duratrax cells for stock racing years ago. They had few good cycles, but the punch in the first 20 cycles made them very competitive. If they weren't cheap, and you didn't have time to weed out the dead cells, then they wouldn't have been a good option.
which goes to show, there isn't a 'one size fits all' recommendation. there are many factors that lead to the optimal choice vs. what's the latest and greatest from X, Y or Z.
Old 2017.01.10, 12:49 PM   #14
EMU
EMUracing

In general, regardless of branding of cells. The newest produced cells tend to have the most punch. At times, it wouldn't have been uncommon to see me running 3 different brands of cells in a stock class race.

Mod, I like smooth cells, with good capacity that don't overheat due to high internal resistance. Some cells that are better in stock would have too much initial punch, then run flat halfway through the run...

Yes, there is no golden cell. But, have any new cells come to market that stand out?

As far as Lipo, there is considerable investment for a club that has been running aaa to make the switch and evaluate regulations for the classes. It's not a easy as just saying, let's run Lipo.

The majority of clubs do not run open classes, even restrictions are placed in the modified classes. When there are no limits, adopting new technologies is Moe simple, but increases the cost of entry. I am a fan of Lipo, it makes it much easier to have a level playing field power wise, but people invest heavily into nimh charging and matching technology, and Kyosho has been slow to adopt Lipo for this scale... Making it more costly for clubs with regimented class structures to adopt, since it would be added to the current nimh expense since those regimented classes would not be adopting such technology.

Last edited by EMU; 2017.01.10 at 12:59 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.10, 01:27 PM   #15
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Yes, there is no golden cell. But, have any new cells come to market that stand out?
Yes! This is all I am trying to find out since I have been off the scene for a few years. Didn't want to order 6 packs of XYZ brand just to find out that they stink or that ABC brand is a better choice!

Good to see you back Eugene!
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote