Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.10.29, 04:58 PM   #31
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxlr8ed
Great vid... It's a great instructional ! About time someone did it !

But... (there's always a but) As an admiring, fellow board surgeon... I must say your technique is rather brutal. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to knock you here... I'm just amazed about a few things. I will describe...

I only use a 25 watt iron with a very long, narrow tip... I heard high heat for extended periods of time decreased the efficiency of the fet... or was I instructed wrongly ? I remove fets one foot at a time, I apply the iron to the foot, and use a dental hook to lever it upwards slowly. (you sat temato, I say tahmahto )
I usually tell if I've over heated the board when I can feel it through my fingers. I don't usually keep it on there long when I'm installing the chips.

Quote:
Where did you get that iron tip... nasty ! I would say it's near impossible to install a triple stack with that, I'm sure you've done stacks... but I would bet it wasn't with that thang ! (if it was... you have jedi like control)
I didn't prep the iron in the beginning of the video. I noted that in the middle of the vid. Normally I would make it much sharper. When it's sharper it makes it easier to get to the legs by the box.

Quote:
Why so much solder ?... I've never had to add solder to a single layer install, (stacks are a different story) I've always just used what was left on the pads after they've been smoothed, never had a problem !
I like to make sure there is plenty there for a real good connection. When running hot motors thos legs and solder get very hot. I believe that the more solder you have the less resistance and the best connection possible. Also it's pretty much ready to add more chips. The reverse chip was a used chips so the legs weren't factory bent.

Quote:
Also, you can have a wad of solder on the "output" side of the fets, I've done stacks with "inline" connections, and some have the custom wad'o'solder down the back. (usually when I'm feeling lazy ) But you are absolutely right about the "input" side of the fet, I usually just pick gently between those with an exacto tip just to make sure there are no cross connections hiding in there.
I know you can and the first time I did a FET upgrade/repair there wasn't a video on the net and I could barely find pictures. Everything I found showed it that way but I never kept them for reference. I figure you can't go wrong if you reinstall them the way they were when you started.

Quote:
Just a different style I guess ! (you big iron tip wielding savage you !!! ) Great job ! Wish I was more internet savvy so I could post a vid as well. Hey... maybe if you come across the pond again, we can have fet install races !
Cya !
I did the video instead of going to bed . I frequent the forums and alot of people were asking questions about FET upgrades. Everyone likes vids and I love making them so I thought I'd share my DIY upgrade.

I'd like to make another one. This time doing the removale/replacement/stack. It had been a while since I did an upgrade. I do all of my own work and most of the cars had already been done so I let my iron go to shat.

My goal with this video was to give people confidence and instruction to do it themselves.

-Byebye
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.31, 06:58 AM   #32
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by will3kgt
IT WORKED!.....Well, sort of. I did 2 x 3 fet stack this morning and when I did the motor test it didn't move then all of the sudden the motor came to life. So I turned off my car tried it again and the same thing happened....Oh yeah and my reverse doesn't work I'm going to try to resodder the fets again tommorow morning. Nevertheless, your video is the most helpful information I've recieved in my last 3 years of racing. Pictures will be forthcoming. Thanks again.
Let us know how it turned out.

-Byebye
Old 2005.10.31, 10:05 AM   #33
imxlr8ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebye
My goal with this video was to give people confidence and instruction to do it themselves.-Byebye
Well done, agree on all points ! We don't run too many hot motors here though, probably why I've never needed the extra solder. I have had feet come up before too, just a tap with the iron, and they're back to life. More than one way to skin a cat ! But when I saw the removal vid, and I saw that skanky soldering tip, humping the hell out of those fets, I was amazed ! (never even knew it was possible to do that !, though it would kill a board) I'd say your goal was more than acheived !

I wish this vid was out when I first started frying boards too ! (oh... so many fried, so long ago ! )

Thanks ByeBye !

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.31, 10:27 AM   #34
Ninja
Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to Ninja Send a message via Yahoo to Ninja
you think his soldering tip was bad? LMAO my first FET job was a 2x4 stack on an 01, somehow I accomplished success with a wood burning kit figure that one out
I am a FIRM believer in "Run what ya brung"......Unless it's your MOUTH!!!
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.31, 02:01 PM   #35
imxlr8ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja
you think his soldering tip was bad? LMAO my first FET job was a 2x4 stack on an 01, somehow I accomplished success with a wood burning kit figure that one out
I got my current iron from, ughhh, I hate to say it... Walmart. It's a yellow plastic handle, 25 watt... came with this really narrow (1/8"dia), 1" long tip. Perfect for stack installs. Wood burner ?!?!... what next... MIGwelding ?!?!

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2005.10.31, 06:52 PM   #36
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja
somehow I accomplished success with a wood burning kit figure that one out
My soldering iron is almost like a woodburning kit tool, that is about how cheaply it is made. It works just fine for PCB work. I have said before that using a higher wattage iron like say a 60w is very much like doing heart surgery with a chain saw.
Old 2005.11.01, 09:59 AM   #37
byebye

Quote:
........ But when I saw the removal vid, and I saw that skanky soldering tip, humping the hell out of those fets, I was amazed ! .......

I wish this vid was out when I first started frying boards too ! (oh... so many fried, so long ago ! )

Thanks ByeBye !
Yeah I realized it when I started to on the next FET. That's when I went and filed the tip down. It's not good to do that to a new tip, I think because it comes with some kind of coating already. You really have to 'tin' the tip well and the solder will heatup on the board quickly. I did find a new iron from RS that's switchable from 15w 0r 30w. It should work well for these applications.

I too wish there was a more thorough vid out. I'm sure most of us have seen the one that was out showing the removal and install. Mine was driven by the fact that mini-zracer.com needed one of our own we could refer to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerZ
My soldering iron is almost like a woodburning kit tool, that is about how cheaply it is made. It works just fine for PCB work. I have said before that using a higher wattage iron like say a 60w is very much like doing heart surgery with a chain saw.
LMAO!

I see that everyone improvises and that's what DIY is. Its just using what you can get your hands on and making it work. Back when I was really having a need for speed I was modding all my boards and removing FETs for different motors and setups. My tips were charp as needles and the iron I started out with just died before I left for London. I just threw away a tip that I sanded down to almost 1/4" long. I've scared up that little black box a dozen times but every install still works like a charm.

-Byebye
Old 2005.11.01, 10:22 AM   #38
Ken Mifune
2-Z or not 2-Z...

Quote:
...I've scared up that little black box a dozen times but every install still works like a charm.
I've removed that black box to stack FETs. It seemed easier to me, especially on the mr-02.
Old 2005.11.01, 03:21 PM   #39
byebye

I tried it and was happy with the fact that I had nothing to run into. It was sorta of a pain to get the box removed though. It does really help though.

-Byebye
Old 2005.11.01, 04:36 PM   #40
imxlr8ed

Quote:
I tried it and was happy with the fact that I had nothing to run into. It was sorta of a pain to get the box removed though. It does really help though.

-Byebye
Always wondered... never asked... what is "the box" ? Actually... anyone have a full diagram of the board, and what the individual electronics do ? Or is that proprietary stuff ?

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
Old 2005.11.01, 11:30 PM   #41
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
My guess is it is some sort of RF filter to guard the recever from the noise from the fets. I could be wrong though, I did say guess.
Old 2005.11.02, 02:52 AM   #42
byebye

I know there's some board schematic floating around here. On the iwaver board it's on the opposite side of the FETs so stacking is very easy. I don't think you can relocate them. I picked up some copper braid for cleaning solder mess. Never had much luck with them but I figure I would learn.

-Byebye
Old 2005.12.08, 01:43 AM   #43
Roger

byebye: Very kewl vids
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.12.08, 08:44 AM   #44
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
byebye: Very kewl vids
thanks!. I haven't gotten around to making a better video using the proper preperation but I'm sure it's helped some people.

You gonna FET stack the awd? Mine are at home right now(I'm in Germany) and I'm wondering how long they will last before I have to get the stuff to make them work?

-Byebye
Old 2005.12.08, 10:08 AM   #45
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Send a message via MSN to Twenty-Se7en
excellent conclusion to the fet videos... That was a very nice and clean job... steady hands.

Has anyone tried a small piece of double sided tape on the bottom of the Fets so you don't have to hold them with the tweezers... also, does anyone use the "Cold Heat" iron ... burning up my board has always been a concern to me.
Twenty-Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote