Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2007.04.11, 08:04 PM   #1
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Send a message via AIM to marc Send a message via MSN to marc
Upgrading the Lit

Hello. I have succesfully upgraded my Lit. I got the following items.
Blue chassis kit-appearance
Xspeed motor-much faster than stock
ball bearings-smoother running and a tad faster
suspension upgrades, front spring set, and rear oil filled shock+carbon fiber H-plate-much better handling.

I have taken photos of the installation and attached photos below.
I have to say, the blue chassis kit is only a visual upgrade, nothing else. Everything else really seems to help.
Other upgrade on my wish-list is the Tagu aluminum wheels. Only downside to those, I just found out from the manufacturer, is that their wheels are only suitable for the Daihatsue Copen and NOT suitable for the Mini Cooper or Fiat 500. I requested that they make a set of alloy's for those two bodies, but I don't think they will listen unless enough people bug'em for it.
Other issue I have with my Lit is I seem to have lost the rear shock mount for the shortest setting so if I use the Fiat body, I can't use the rear shock for it. Which is disapointing cause I also noticed that the carbon fiber H-plate on the Lit is very flexible and looks very delicate. So the shock seems to help strangthen it. Here are the photos.
Here is the Mini awaiting it's new parts.

here is the stock chassis using the rear shock from the MR02, and showing off my custom antenna for range modification.

Rear shock. This is the only mount I seem to have left from the kit. So if anybody has the shortest one I'd love to have it.

blue chassis kit in package

beginning of tear down.

electronics removed from stock chassis.

electronics installed in blue chassis.

bottom of chassis. Only pain in the butt installation here was the battery locking plate.

front wheels being installed.

front springs set.

getting it together

rear oil-filled shock installed

close up

bottom view

out with the old motor, new motor installed for higher speed.

there you have it. only problem now is wire for the motor seems to be in way of mounting body. Will have to work on that next.
Ball bearings installation was a snap except for the rears. They seemed to be a tight fit but once on they work very smoothly.
Hope you all enjoyed the show and would like to see photos of your Lit here soon.

Last edited by marc; 2007.04.11 at 08:23 PM.
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.12, 02:01 AM   #2
herman

couple of questioins...

i must have missed it... does the lit have a servo saver in there somewhere?
where do the bearings go? and how many are they?

Last edited by herman; 2007.04.12 at 02:04 AM.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.12, 10:22 AM   #3
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Hello. I am not sure about a servo saver as I'm not entirely sure what they look like. As far as bearings go, there are six of theme. Four small ones for the front wheels, and two big ones in the rear for the differential. I will try and take some pictures of the ball bearings later. Sorry, I forgot about those when I was snapping away.
Old 2007.04.12, 12:50 PM   #4
Fish

Send a message via MSN to Fish
Thumbs down

Doesn't look like there's a servo saver there.

Nice thread, Marc! Thanks for the pics. It's the first time I've seen a Lit up close.

miniRC ca
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.12, 04:13 PM   #5
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Thank you Fish, and your welcome. All the mods were a nice improvment and makes it much more enjoyable to drive. I'm going to try and get the Tagu rims for my Lit, even though they are bigger and designed for the Copen, I think they'll look good on the Cooper. I plan on modifying the Couper to look more racy. I'm wondering if there is a toy model of the Cooper in the same or similar scale that has the front rally lights on it. Also planning on widening the fenders a bit to accomidate the new wheels. Pics of project will be posted as project progresses.
I still need to take pics of the bearings. Later!
Old 2007.04.12, 04:46 PM   #6
myscoobysti

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc
Thank you Fish, and your welcome. All the mods were a nice improvment and makes it much more enjoyable to drive. I'm going to try and get the Tagu rims for my Lit, even though they are bigger and designed for the Copen, I think they'll look good on the Cooper. I plan on modifying the Couper to look more racy. I'm wondering if there is a toy model of the Cooper in the same or similar scale that has the front rally lights on it. Also planning on widening the fenders a bit to accomidate the new wheels. Pics of project will be posted as project progresses.
I still need to take pics of the bearings. Later!
Hi marc, great pictures. How does it drive compared to the MR02?
myscoobysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.12, 05:34 PM   #7
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Not sure yet. I'll have to take it to the local track and find out! It drives fine, but I seriously dont' think it's as fast as the other Z's. Unless somebody Lipo's one............
Old 2007.04.12, 09:15 PM   #8
herman

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot about those when I was snapping away.
no need to apologize... great pics... thnaks for the info
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.12, 11:01 PM   #9
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Ok, but those pics will be posted soon if anybody want's pics of the bearings.
The chassis was pretty easy to do, all except for the battery locking mechanism. That was a witch to install. As with most of my chassis, I did not bother changing the servo's plastic parts as those always look complicated. I just pull theme out of the stock chassis, and place theme in the new chassis. Keep's installation simple.
Think anybody has Lipo'ed a Lit yet? Also, what lighting system would work on these micro wonders? Epoch's headlight kit maybe?
Old 2007.04.13, 11:02 AM   #10
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Hello, I did not notice that the oil shock is backwards, but seems to work anyway's. I'll have to double check it.
Old 2007.04.15, 05:29 PM   #11
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

There you guy's go. I reveresed the rear shock so it is now mounted correctly. Does not seem to make a difference in how it handles though, but looks right.

Next to come is a set of alloy wheels from Tagu and some body modifications for the Mini Cooper. No worries, I have an extra Mini Cooper body in case I screw up, which, I plan NOT to do. Pics will come as project continues.................................
Old 2007.04.15, 09:15 PM   #12
myscoobysti

I wonder if a disc damper could fit in there with a little mod.
myscoobysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.15, 10:04 PM   #13
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

I doubt it. After all, the Lit is very small compared to MR02 so I don't think it will. Plus, it seems to work just fine with what it's got. I just wonder if there will be any toe-adjustments with optional tie-rods for it.
Old 2007.05.09, 04:44 PM   #14
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Hello. I have just received my Tagu wheels for the Lit, and with a bit of wheel well trimming, they fit fine on the Mini Cooper. While they don't look authentic, they do look racey. Anybody know of any models of the Mini Cooper that are approximatly the same size as the Lit? I need to find some front driving lights for the car to give it a race look. I wish to add the driving lights that go between the stock head lights, add some fender flares, and a central exit exaust for a race-prepped Mini Cooper.
I am in California right now visiting my brother, so photo's of the Cooper with it's new wheels won't be posted till next week when I'm back home.
Any idea's for model cars which may have the lights I"m looking for?
Any suggestions?
Old 2007.05.20, 04:18 PM   #15
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Tagu wheels on Mini Cooper Lit.