Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2016.12.26, 05:56 PM   #1
Nsxtat

Imr batteries in ex6?

I want to get more range out of my ex6, kept searching for lipo options but I realized it is easier to run 3 x 10440 imr batteries at 3.7 volts each. Can this transmitter handle 11.1 volts? There is a battery warning option for lipo which warns you at 7 volts.

Thankd
Nsxtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.12.28, 08:23 PM   #2
xmodcanuck

Not sure if it'll affect range but you need the optional battery stand unit (KO-10546) to use lipo/life. Then get either the KO 2S 1550mAh Li-Fe battery (73018), which I found difficult to find. Or I went with the TRP recommended LRP LiPo 2S 7.4V 2500mAh (430351), much easier to find.
xmodcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.12.29, 02:41 PM   #3
Nsxtat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodcanuck View Post
Not sure if it'll affect range but you need the optional battery stand unit (KO-10546) to use lipo/life. Then get either the KO 2S 1550mAh Li-Fe battery (73018), which I found difficult to find. Or I went with the TRP recommended LRP LiPo 2S 7.4V 2500mAh (430351), much easier to find.
The voltage helped the range when I put fresh batteries in. When it had a full 6.1 volts, the range increased between 5-10 feet. So I figured if it made that difference going from 5.0-4.8 volts to 6.1, it would be even better going to over 11
Old 2016.12.29, 03:01 PM   #4
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i've noticed that my range begins getting buggy when it dips below 4.6v. i had thought of switching to the lithium ion cells but they are so expensive. i would have gone the life or lipo route but i really don't want another charger just to use for transmitter. i'm fine with buying cheap alkaline cells or recharging nimh knowing it's inexpensive and worst case they vent or leak vs. explode or burn the place down. But yes, my EX-6 range is greatly affected by battery voltage, much more so than my previous 5-UR or EX-10.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.12.29, 05:07 PM   #5
xmodcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxtat View Post
The voltage helped the range when I put fresh batteries in. When it had a full 6.1 volts, the range increased between 5-10 feet. So I figured if it made that difference going from 5.0-4.8 volts to 6.1, it would be even better going to over 11
I have an 11v lipo in my JRZ1, but it uses 8AA. The EX6 only uses 4AAA. I would think 11v would fry something, but I'm not sure, and not really willing to test it, kind of expensive if it goes wrong.
Old 2016.12.29, 07:13 PM   #6
Nsxtat

That is why I don't want to do that to a pretty expensive radio. If nobody else had tried it, I wouldn't have the guts to be the first. Just very disappointed with the crappy range my mini z buggy is getting with the ex6 vs the kt18.
Old 2016.12.29, 07:42 PM   #7
TeeSquared
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
But yes, my EX-6 range is greatly affected by battery voltage, much more so than my previous 5-UR or EX-10.
That strikes me as so strange.... I'm no expert in transmitter design but one would think they'd include some kind of regulation that always delivers a consistent voltage to the transmitter module. If someone more knowledgeable can step in than please do, but my understanding of older radio designs that use 12V (8 AAs) is that when used with 2.4 GHz modules, the voltage is stepped down for the module so it's performance is consistent unless the 12V supply/battery is REALLY low, by which point the transmitter probably won't function at all. I guess with designs like the EX-6 which run off half that voltage, there is no need to step it down because the actual 2.4 GHz transmitter probably runs off 5-7V.

The only solution I can think of would be to build yourself (or buy) a regulator which steps 12V down to 6V and then run the EX-6 off a small 3S lipo, but that would be drastic and frankly I wouldn't even be willing to do that much hacking, and I do all kinds of crazier hacks at my day job [edit]...On second though no, it actually wouldn't be that crazy of a mod since you can find a regulator like that pretty readily and inexpensively, so long as it can be made to fit inside along with a battery of decent capacity.

Amazon has brand name AAA Lithium batteries for 1.49/cell when bought in bulk.

Last edited by TeeSquared; 2016.12.29 at 08:58 PM.
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.12.30, 02:52 PM   #8
Nsxtat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeSquared View Post
That strikes me as so strange.... I'm no expert in transmitter design but one would think they'd include some kind of regulation that always delivers a consistent voltage to the transmitter module. If someone more knowledgeable can step in than please do, but my understanding of older radio designs that use 12V (8 AAs) is that when used with 2.4 GHz modules, the voltage is stepped down for the module so it's performance is consistent unless the 12V supply/battery is REALLY low, by which point the transmitter probably won't function at all. I guess with designs like the EX-6 which run off half that voltage, there is no need to step it down because the actual 2.4 GHz transmitter probably runs off 5-7V.

The only solution I can think of would be to build yourself (or buy) a regulator which steps 12V down to 6V and then run the EX-6 off a small 3S lipo, but that would be drastic and frankly I wouldn't even be willing to do that much hacking, and I do all kinds of crazier hacks at my day job [edit]...On second though no, it actually wouldn't be that crazy of a mod since you can find a regulator like that pretty readily and inexpensively, so long as it can be made to fit inside along with a battery of decent capacity.

Amazon has brand name AAA Lithium batteries for 1.49/cell when bought in bulk.
7 volts huh? I guess I can try to run 2 imr batteries and 2 dummies and see if that will give me the range I want. That seems inexpensive enough to warrant a try.
Old 2016.12.30, 04:28 PM   #9
TeeSquared
Redline

Quote:
7 volts huh? I guess I can try to run 2 imr batteries and 2 dummies and see if that will give me the range I want.
I have no idea, I guessed. I don't know anything about the design of the EX-6 so do this at your own peril.

It still does not solve the original problem if the battery voltage dips as it discharges, which it certainly will. The idea of using a regulated power supply is that, in theory, the battery and regulator combination will provide a steady supply for the entire life of the battery. That is, when the battery is at 100% charge, the output will be X volts, and when the battery is at 10% charge, the output will still be X volts. It's binary; either X volts or off. The problem is that the EX-6 appears to have no voltage regulation of any kind; the actual RF module gets battery voltage and it's transmit strength is directly proportional. again, purely speculation....just so we are all clear
Old 2016.12.30, 04:32 PM   #10
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

If there is space for it try a pair of the small 7.4 packs from the AMZ, BZ, AMR connected in parallel. Should give a long stable power supply very close to the size of 4 AAA's.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.12.30, 06:35 PM   #11
TeeSquared
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
If there is space for it try a pair of the small 7.4 packs from the AMZ, BZ, AMR connected in parallel. Should give a long stable power supply very close to the size of 4 AAA's.
I wouldn't. A 2S lipo is 8.4V fully charged which is a fair amount (25%) higher than the 6V it would be designed for. Maybe a problem, maybe not. I wouldn't risk it. Also I would think you'd have the same problem as when using AAAs but the lipo could probably maintain a higher voltage longer.

A regulated 3S lipo is a safer bet, so long as you have some way of knowing when the pack goes below 9V as not to damage it.

Last edited by TeeSquared; 2016.12.30 at 06:39 PM.
Old 2016.12.30, 06:58 PM   #12
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Forgot to take charged voltage into consideration. The only thing that would concern me about a regulated 3 cell would be the heat generated from the voltage step down resistor. Anybody familiar with the white step down resistor on the firewall of 60's-70's Chrysler products can attest to how hot that can be.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.12.30, 08:35 PM   #13
Nsxtat

I just looked up the cost if the kiy battery base and that thing is expense. A main hobbies appears to have one in stock, but not sure if I want to invest $80 for the base a lipo and a charger just to see if this would even help or at worse, fry something in the ex 6
Old 2016.12.31, 03:26 AM   #14
xmodcanuck

Quote:
I just looked up the cost if the kiy battery base and that thing is expense. A main hobbies appears to have one in stock, but not sure if I want to invest $80 for the base a lipo and a charger just to see if this would even help or at worse, fry something in the ex 6
I already had a charger so 30 for the base and 30 for the lipo wasn't so bad. But it's not a guess about whether it'll work or not. The LRP lipo was recommended by TRP. I watched their video (didn't understand a word) and bought the lipo. It works fine. I can't speak for its affect on range though as I got it because I was tired of changing batteries. AAAs would only last 3-4hrs.
Old 2018.02.19, 06:42 AM   #15
Nsxtat

i ended up getting the lipo battery base, and preliminary test shows no improvement which sucks. at least i can still use the lipo battery for longer battery life. I will try again once the snow melts.