Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.04.11, 04:11 PM   #1
Felix2010

Silicon Oil Weight(s) for Kyosho MR02 Rear Oil Shock?

Hello everyone!

I not well-versed when it comes to Silicon Oil weights and which weight/type of Silicon Oil should and/or can be used for which application (Oil Shocks, Diffs, etc).

I have a couple Kyosho MR02 Rear Oil Shocks and I use the stock Silicon Oil that comes with it, which according to the instructions is Kyosho "Silicon Oil #200". I am just guessing, but is #200 = 200wt ?

Kyosho has for sale 40cc bottles of Silicon Oil from #100 up to #900, and I am thinking of trying a heavier weight for my Kyosho MR02 Rear Oil Shock. Maybe #400, which is the highest number they list on the Oil Shock instructions.

Now I also have a Mini 3-pack of Trinity Shock Oil that I bought for use with my MR02 Disk Dampers. The set includes one 15ml bottle of each - 20wt. - 25wt. - 30wt.

AND I bought a bottle of OFNA 30000wt. Silicon Diff oil for use with my Reflex Side Damper System.

I would like to know, how do all of these Silicon Oils compare with each other? Do different companies use different weight scales for Silicon oil but in actuality some are the same in viscosity?
For example, how would my Trinity 20wt Shock Oil compare to the Kyosho #200 Silicon shock oil that came with my K MR02 Oil Shock? Would the Trintity 30wt be the same as Kyosho #300? Do shock oils in the 10-90wt range use a completely different weight scale from the Kyosho shock oils in the #100-#900 range and from the ATOMIC 300wt-500wt-1000wt silicon oils?
And what about the extremely-high-wt silicon diff oils? Does the 30000wt MUGEN Diff silicon oil use the same weight scale for comparison as the Kyosho #300 silicon oil?
Do Silicon "Diff" oils use a different measurement scale than Silicon "Shock" oils?

That's a lot of questions I know But just one more: How would my Trinity 20wt shock oil compare to my Kyosho #200 shock oil? They seem to be very similar in viscosity in their bottles. Would the Trinity 30wt shock oil be thicker, and be useable, in my Kyosho Oil Shock and provide heavier damping than the stock #200 Kyosho oil?

Thank you in advance for the help!
Felix2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.12, 04:09 PM   #2
1FASWGN

Mugen, GS and Kyosho use cP value for their fluid.
Associated, Losi, Trinity use IIRC SAE wt.
cP is generally lighter than wt.
so the #200 is more like 15wt
600 is very close to 55wt in feel

In my opinion cP value is more superior in measuring viscosity because it will be a linear sacle.

Last edited by 1FASWGN; 2009.04.12 at 04:12 PM.
1FASWGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.12, 06:33 PM   #3
color01

Anything 10,000 and up is usually a "diff oil", meaning it's just REALLY thick... if you put that in your oil damper it'll be like filling it with sand. However, diff greases work well in tube dampers (the tolerances are looser so the thicker oil has room to flow).

Stuff I've seen normally go into an MR02 oil shock ranges from Kyosho #200 oil (comes in the package along with the oil shock) to Atomic #1000. I imagine you could go thicker, but only if your T-plate is really hard or something like that. Most people use harder damping on the disk damper or tube damper to deal with tire chatter.

I think 1Faswgn has it right, but in any case, the general rule of thumb for shock oils is that you can add on zeros to a 2-digit number and it'll generally be in the right [relative] range as a 3-digit number.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.12, 08:16 PM   #4
1FASWGN

cP value is superior in the aspect that #1000 is exactly 10 time thicker than #100.

and most of the silicon oil for our hobby use can be mixed, I remember someone created a calculator spreadsheet to mix fluid to the desired viscosity. You will have to google that one or search rctech.net.

For front kingpin I use 30wt, and tune the rear damper according to your preference.

when you change fluids, try to do a bigger change. for example from 10wt to 30t so the effect will be more pronounce, if you didn't like the change then go to 20.

Last edited by 1FASWGN; 2009.04.12 at 08:33 PM.
Old 2009.04.12, 08:26 PM   #5
1FASWGN

Just want to rant that the kyosho shock oil is way overpriced!
I could get a bottle of each 10,20,30,40 wt oil from trinity, Associated or Losi for $16 to $20.
While I will only get two bottles from kyosho......
Old 2009.04.12, 10:27 PM   #6
ralph m
tqracing.com

Everything you wanted to know about shock oil but were afraid to ask...

http://www.twf8.ws/php/index.php?opt...per&Itemid=175
ralph m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.12, 10:54 PM   #7
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Thank you Ralph. Great information there.
Old 2009.04.14, 12:49 AM   #8
Felix2010

Thank you everyone for the info!
Felix2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.14, 05:14 AM   #9
LED

To go a little further on the matter,
In what way will the oil affect the car ?
And whats the difference between changing the spring on the shock and the oil?

I know the oil is for dampening the movement and the spring is to keep your wheel on the track. But when do you change the oilt and when do you change the spring ?
LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.14, 01:37 PM   #10
color01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LED View Post
I know the oil is for dampening the movement and the spring is to keep your wheel on the track. But when do you change the oilt and when do you change the spring ?
It's mostly about controlling the behavior of the rear end, so here's how I understand it:

Stiffer springs make the rear end move faster, and stiffer damping slows it down, so to keep the rear end moving around at an acceptable pace -- too slow will make the handling sluggish, too fast will make the car chatter -- you usually adjust spring rates and damping rates along with each other. Once you get within a good ballpark (having a lap timer helps), then you can adjust the two independently to match the "feel" you prefer. Stiffer springs would make the handling quicker still, with more overall steering; softer damping would accomplish the same effect but with more on-power traction. Softer springs would make the handling more forgiving and with more on-power traction; stiffer damping would do the same but with more on-power steering.

Hope that helps a bit.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.14, 02:23 PM   #11
LED

sure thx !
LED is offline   Reply With Quote