Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2007.06.15, 10:16 PM   #1
Hammer
Mini-Z Electrician

Hammer Team Racing MR-02 Chassis.

I've needed to rebuild the MR-02 chassis for my Hammer Team Racing Enzo for quite a while, after finally getting around to it I decided to go all the way. The previous Hammer Team Racing MR-02 chassis had a pcb modified with a 2x3 stack of FET's done by Breeze which I'll be using for another project. I wanted to do a 4x2 stack of 4562 FET's on the pcb for my new chassis, I also wanted to do a lithium battery upgrade for a couple of reasons, here's how it went.

My FET stacking upgrade to the pcb was the first step and was challenging however ultimately successful.

I've been using Kyosho smoked gray chassis sets for all of my all of my Hammer Team Racing cars when I can. For this project with the lithium battery upgrade the gold plated battery terminals need to be removed, I carefully popped them out so I could reinstall them in a new MR-02 main chassis set for future use. The new chassis also needs to be modified to accept the 2x4 FET stacked pcb & lithium battery pack.

Because the 4x2 stack is so high,

the chassis needs to be modified w/ a Dremel to accommodate the stack,

and 1/8" holes need to be drilled in the bottom of the chassis as well as a 3/16" hole in the pcb cover for the lithium battery conversion.

For the lithium battery upgrade the power wires are replaced & the on/off switch is removed and hard wired.

Because of the height of the 4x2 FET stack the bracket intended to hold the on/off switch in place, needs to be modified. This bracket is held in place with a screw, it also secures the motor terminals to the pcb. The height of the FET stack interferes with the prongs that would hold the switch in place so they must be removed. As well, the screw intended to hold the bracket in place cannot be used for the same reason, I used some CA glue to secure it in place.

Time to tuck the servo wires in place on the right side of the chassis.

A side view to show the clearance between the chassis and the FET stack.

Finally the electronics are finished.

Parts to complete the new chassis.

A test with a Stock R Evolution motor installed.

The tab between the positive and negative motor terminals should be clipped to allow the motor wires to rout around the suspension.

Finally, a few pics of the finished chassis.

Plenty of room for a larger pinion gear, I started with a 9 tooth.

Finally a shot of the bottom.

I must say, with the 2x6 4562 FET stacks, lithium battery and Chili Evolution Motor, this thing is a beast.

Last edited by Hammer; 2007.06.16 at 12:18 AM.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.15, 11:53 PM   #2
bnwhtlw
i heart oversteer

Send a message via AIM to bnwhtlw
Good god man, how fast do you think top speed is? That is insanely well done and thanx for the detailed synopsis.

I wanna see video!
bnwhtlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.16, 12:38 AM   #3
pinoyboy

Send a message via AIM to pinoyboy Send a message via MSN to pinoyboy Send a message via Yahoo to pinoyboy
Yea man, I can't imagine how fast that thing is gonna be I can hardly control a 38T motor on 4.8v with foams!

Also, how big of a track are you running this car on?
Old 2007.06.16, 12:52 AM   #4
TALLGEESE
Dreamcrusher

That's some top-notch work right there, that thing must be a rocketship....I'm loving that shot from the rear, looks mean...

Those foams probably get some pretty good grip, with the power that car makes, shredding those foams is just a squeeze away...
TALLGEESE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.16, 04:29 AM   #5
Programmers
iTomCash

That's amazing, I'd like to know it's top speed on a dyno or see a video.
Programmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.21, 07:04 PM   #6
Hammer
Mini-Z Electrician

Well since I've been so busy with work recently and haven't had time to set up enough track to test this chassis thoroughly, I put it on the speed checker and here's what I came up with.

58 Km/h while only drawing 2.13 amps of current, pretty smooth!

I really need to test this chassis on a large track, unfortunately, it may be some time before I get time to set one up.
Old 2007.06.21, 10:28 PM   #7
color01

Huge foams, huge power, I love it.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.22, 10:35 AM   #8
Breeze
Mini-Z Pro

That is one nice ride you got there Hammer! Nice FET job as well

ck out my website
SpiceyCajun.com
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.22, 11:05 AM   #9
Programmers
iTomCash

That's fast for a 9 tooth!! Blimey. I thought my 2x2 4562 stack and plasmatonic was fast at 30kph, but that's just mental! Is it drivable?
Programmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.23, 06:07 PM   #10
Hammer
Mini-Z Electrician

Thanks guys, for all of compliments!

This hobby is so much fun and it's great therapy as a diversion from work, which I just finished for the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze
That is one nice ride you got there Hammer! Nice FET job as well
Thanks Breeze! This FET upgrade was a real learning experience, which isn't necessarily bad. I figure if I'm not learning something I'm not really trying, there ia always room to improve. When you did the FETs on my old MR-02 PCB I remember learning a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmers
That's fast for a 9 tooth!! Blimey. I thought my 2x2 4562 stack and plasmatonic was fast at 30kph, but that's just mental! Is it drivable?
I've only had a chance to set up a small RCP track for very initial testing. The power is very smooth from 0 into the power curve, so I think it will be drivable. I'm just not sure how it will handle with "the pedal to the metal".

I need to set up a larger track for that and won't have time for a while.

Last edited by Hammer; 2007.06.23 at 06:45 PM.
Old 2007.06.24, 09:08 PM   #11
Hammer
Mini-Z Electrician

I finally had time to post some pics of the Hammer Team Racing MR-02 Chassis with a body mounted. This chassis was built for an Enzo body, so for testing purposes I use my yellow Enzo test body. I needed to dremel an area in the rear window on the inside to allow for clearance of the nut securing rear of the top shock, after making the proper modification, the yellow Enzo fits perfectly.

I made a similar modification to my custom Hammer Team Racing Enzo body and it also fit perfectly.

This is the body I intended this chassis for.
Old 2007.06.25, 03:45 PM   #12
TALLGEESE
Dreamcrusher

Both of those Enzo bodies look great on that chassis.. That silver and blue paintjob is very nicely done.. What kind of run times do you get with that setup??
TALLGEESE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.25, 05:20 PM   #13
SuperFly
bitPimp

That is totally badass, and the custom Enzo is one of the nicest paintjobs I've seen, from a design aspect.

What kind of track do you run on? I've never found foam tires to be very good on the smooth side of RCP, and I've never raelly run on anything else.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.29, 06:47 PM   #14
Hammer
Mini-Z Electrician

Thanks for the compliments, more on this body can be found here Hammer Racing Enzo.

I've still been very busy with work and haven't had time to set up enough track to give this chassis a complete road test, I hope to have time in the next week or two.

In the mean time, I adjusted the ball diff and added some shims, now everything is solid as a rock and smooth as silk! I can't wait to really test this thing out.

Last edited by Hammer; 2007.06.29 at 07:01 PM.
Old 2007.08.01, 08:43 PM   #15
November Rain

sweet ride and the power to back up the Enzo name.
November Rain is offline   Reply With Quote