Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.12.09, 07:51 AM   #1
GiantScale

Iwaver 02: Iwaver or Miniz hop-ups?

Iv been looking for a hopped up used MR or MM02. But with the Iwaver 02 now available I need some advice before ordering.

Which hop-ups would you recommend I install in the Iwaver 02 to make it competitive with the MR02? Looks like Iwaver has the pro motor, bearings & springs as hop-ups but the other parts are only replacements. Correct?

So which parts have you, or would you install in the Iwaver 02 to make it competitive with the MR02?

Thanks

Anyone know when the shop will have them?
GiantScale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.09, 11:22 AM   #2
davisdavis

carbon fibre H-plate, bearings are necessary.
ball diff is also much preferred, but some drivers don't use them
a fast motor of coz, but i wouldn't choose the Xspeed pro.
i don't use dampers in my mr02's but most people do.
and of coz, the tires, atomic R10 F10/20 will let u run on any surface.

alloys parts are for strength, the way i do is change to alloy after the stock one breaks.
davisdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.09, 11:30 AM   #3
michvin

i have all reasons to think that upgraded IW02 will be as good as MR02, given similar quality of electronics. After all, if you install the t-(H)-bar, ball diff, hotter motor, aftermarket springs and ball bearings, the only difference remaining is the batteries holder
Old 2004.12.09, 12:02 PM   #4
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Parts that I feel should be upgraded on the IW02:
Differential - Kyosho MR02 Ball diff (best diff out)
Knuckles - Delrin at least... 3Racing makes a set with 3 camber options
Kingpins - I havent tried polishing the stock ones yet to see if they are smoother, but some nice steel pins would do good
lock nuts - Alloy with nyloc insert
Suspension - H-block upgrade (carbon/graphite), Friction disc damper/oil roll shocks, rear oil shock
Bearings - Quality shielded bearings (Iwaver bearings are decent, thats what I am going to use)
Tires - Nice soft tires that will match the wheels you use. 8d rear, 10d front. (15dR/20dF is good too)

I would suggest the wide wheels on a wide MR01 or normal MR02 body. If you get the IW02 RTR, I would suggest the CLK body. I think it handles the best, and can use even more offset wheels than what comes on the IW02.

The knuckles on my IW02 do not slide smoothly on the kingpins. I would suggest getting better kingpins and knuckles. Michvin uses the 3Racing knuckles that I posted above, and they work well for him. They also give you the ability to adjust the camber for different track setups.

Most of these hop-ups are a priority. If you need to wait to get a part due to lack of funds, wait on the suspension (not H-Block) and motor mods. The Differential will be very noticable on the track, same for the bearings. Lug-nuts are a must... after a little time, the plastic ones dont stay on.

With these mods, the IW02 will be very competitive with a slightly hopped up MR02. Will cost about the same as a stock MR02, but will be faster. If you are a beginner driver, there should be no need for a faster motor yet, until you feel like you can go much faster. The stock motor has more than enough speed for new drivers. I know that I made the mistake of swapping out the motor first to a fast motor when I first started. All that did for me, was attract me to the wall more.

A real important question to ask... what will you be using this car for?

Last edited by EMU; 2004.12.09 at 12:14 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.09, 12:12 PM   #5
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Send a message via AIM to ruknd@aol.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU
Parts that I feel should be upgraded on the IW02:
Differential - Kyosho MR02 Ball diff (best diff out)
Knuckles - Delrin at least... 3Racing makes a set with 3 camber options
Kingpins - I havent tried polishing the stock ones yet to see if they are smoother, but some nice steel pins would do good
lock nuts - Alloy with nyloc insert
Suspension - H-block upgrade (carbon/graphite), Friction disc damper/oil roll shocks, rear oil shock
Bearings - Quality shielded bearings (Iwaver bearings are decent, thats what I am going to use)

The knuckles on my IW02 do not slide smoothly on the kingpins. I would suggest getting better kingpins and knuckles. Michvin uses the 3Racing knuckles that I posted above, and they work well for him. They also give you the ability to adjust the camber for different track setups.

Most of these hop-ups are a priority. If you need to wait to get a part due to lack of funds, wait on the suspension (not H-Block) and motor mods. The Differential will be very noticable on the track, same for the bearings. Lug-nuts are a must... after a little time, the plastic ones dont stay on.
Right now I've just got bearings, kyosho ball diff, lock nuts, z speed on my enzo 02...the ball diff and bearings are a must.

While this may not be a hop up per se...nimh batteries!
ruknd@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.09, 12:16 PM   #6
EMU
EMUracing

I dont have my Kyosho Ball diff yet. I still need to order it. The stock IW02 diff isnt too good. Kyosho stock diff is better (which is the case in the 01 as well). I know michvin heard me grinding some gears with my IW01 the last time we were at the track.
Old 2004.12.09, 12:23 PM   #7
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU
I dont have my Kyosho Ball diff yet. I still need to order it. The stock IW02 diff isnt too good. Kyosho stock diff is better (which is the case in the 01 as well). I know michvin heard me grinding some gears with my IW01 the last time we were at the track.
I'll give you my 02 kyosho diff if you want...should be a temporary improvement till you get the K ball....
Old 2004.12.09, 12:33 PM   #8
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruknd@aol.com
I'll give you my 02 kyosho diff if you want...should be a temporary improvement till you get the K ball....
Thanks for the offer. I am ordering the K Ball diff today. If you want, bring it with you on Sat, ill take it for a spin I am going to add the bearings today. I am going to order a K Ball Diff, H plates, 3Racing knuckles and kingpins from RCstation. They have a great price on the ball diff, so its almost like all of the other parts are free (compared to the price the ball diff is elsewhere).
Old 2004.12.09, 12:43 PM   #9
michvin

omg, what are those prices?????
How are the shipping costs?
Old 2004.12.09, 01:04 PM   #10
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by michvin
omg, what are those prices?????
How are the shipping costs?
I just finished placing the order, $6.84 shipping total. (snail mail) Total came to ~$55. For EMS it was $15.71 shipping.

Heres what I ordered, I think my IW02 will be quite nice once they come. I ordered both MM and RM H plates (incase we get the Enzo team car (and my bro can use them on his Mclaren as well)).

Kyosho Ball Diff Set for Mini-Z MR-02
3Racing Graphite H Plate For Mini-Z II (MM) Chassis (Soft, Medium, Hard)
3Racing Steering Block For Mini-Z II
3Racing King Pin For Mini-Z II
3Racing Graphite H Plate For Mini-Z II RM Chassis

I have ordered from this site a few times already. They do not have as many parts as I would have liked (I would have ordered a disc damper if they had it).

edit: doh, I forgot to order lock nuts... I still have a few that are not in use, but every time I order from there, I usually pick up a set or two. The price on them is amazing.

Last edited by EMU; 2004.12.09 at 01:07 PM.
Old 2004.12.09, 01:34 PM   #11
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

That site for some reason is always REALLY slow. I don't get it. But they seem to have the few DTM x4s left. I think it would be fun to have a better than xmods 4wd that I could use for drifting. the also ahve a few other things no one else does. I may have to order an x4 after the holidays and see what I can add without adding to shipping.
Old 2004.12.09, 05:45 PM   #12
GiantScale

Wow Thanks.

I want to race this car at a LHS. The track is 20 x 40. three tight corners and then a 40' straightaway on low store carpet. I know it is not the most competitive group of guys & cars. But I know they are running foam tires & hot motors.

I need to read this post again. & try to fiqure out which parts I can afford & where to get them. Wheres the best place to order these hop-ups?

Last edited by GiantScale; 2004.12.09 at 05:48 PM.
GiantScale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.09, 07:07 PM   #13
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantScale
Wow Thanks.

I want to race this car at a LHS. The track is 20 x 40. three tight corners and then a 40' straightaway on low store carpet. I know it is not the most competitive group of guys & cars. But I know they are running foam tires & hot motors.

I need to read this post again. & try to fiqure out which parts I can afford & where to get them. Wheres the best place to order these hop-ups?
You can get most of the parts here at the shop. There are quite a few other sites you can goto, the site I ordered my parts from is RCstation. Shipping will take a while because it is from Asia, but I dont mind if I save a bunch. The shop here will get you your parts pretty fast.
Old 2004.12.11, 12:24 PM   #14
lightfighter
MINI-Z SOLDIER

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisdavis
carbon fibre H-plate, bearings are necessary.
ball diff is also much preferred, but some drivers don't use them
a fast motor of coz, but i wouldn't choose the Xspeed pro.
i don't use dampers in my mr02's but most people do.
and of coz, the tires, atomic R10 F10/20 will let u run on any surface.

alloys parts are for strength, the way i do is change to alloy after the stock one breaks.
the Xspeed pro is a very good motor for the iwaver or a mzr running a turbo
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.12, 12:08 AM   #15
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter
the Xspeed pro is a very good motor for the iwaver or a mzr running a turbo
xspeed vs the shops fet motor vs the PN racing so4 vs the atomic (just saw them in the photos) and...pick one and if I include NML pick 2