Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.09.02, 05:08 AM   #1
branded
Mini-Z Novice

is MR 01 gonna be history???

mro2 has arrived......will the old mr01 be totally replaced???

Last edited by branded; 2003.09.02 at 05:33 AM.
branded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.09.02, 05:31 AM   #2
mailboxck

Send a message via Yahoo to mailboxck
Hmm...honestly...it will be in the races coz the Mr02 is really quicker than the MR01 but some might continue to hold races in MR01 category...so am not really sure. But hey, we still use old MR01 motor pods on the new car don't we? But if you're worrying about hop ups, I think aftermarket manufacturers might stop the production for the old cars sometime next year or at least when the number of MR02 on the streets jump up considerably high
Old 2003.09.02, 02:56 PM   #3
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

Quote:
will the old mr01 be totally replaced???
over time i'm sure. however i was informed by reliable sources (LHS owner) that production of and for the mr01 will continue for some time.

Quote:
Mr02 is really quicker than the MR01 but some might continue to hold races in MR01 category

The mr02 handles much much better out of the box than the mr01. So even if both had stock motors for example, the mr02 would win from better handling.

We just held a LeMans race at the LHS. The top three finishers were the only mr02s on track ... just an observation
West.F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.09.02, 08:02 PM   #4
mailboxck

LeMans series? Cool! How do you count your laps? Do you have a transponder for the z already? Here at our LHC, we're finding it quite expensive and we're just counting on our counter to count our laps for us
Old 2003.09.02, 10:10 PM   #5
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

come and gone but here's a link to the report:

www.mini-zracing.com
Old 2003.09.03, 02:42 AM   #6
branded
Mini-Z Novice

Quote:
[i]
We just held a LeMans race at the LHS. The top three finishers were the only mr02s on track ... just an observation [/B]
is there any possiblity that mr02 and mr01 to become 2 different class of cars?? Lemans car(Mr02) and tourin car(MR01)??
branded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.09.03, 07:31 AM   #7
mailboxck

I think the LeMans name for mini z is only used coz of the endurance style of racing it uses.

MR01 and MR02 might be separated into 2 different classes but can still compete with each other on an open class race.
Old 2003.09.03, 10:45 AM   #8
bobcat

Send a message via AIM to bobcat
mr-01 out?

I've been paying attention to how mini-z racing works in Japan and they have three classes as of now. Compact, gt300, and gt500. Compact is Vitz, bug, and fit. gt300 is every street car that doesn't have wide rears. gt500 is NSX, AMG, Ferraris - anything with wide rears. I suspect that the mr-02 is going to be a new class on top of those or in place of gt500. I believe that the mr-01 will continue to be made.
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.09.03, 11:24 AM   #9
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

Quote:
is there any possiblity that mr02 and mr01 to become 2 different class of cars?? Lemans car(Mr02) and tourin car(MR01)??

race classes are based on what your local club wants to do. The LeMans at our LHS was basically an enduro and was open to any Z chassis.

Since the mr02s did well in this race however, there were talks about holding separate mr02 only classes in upcoming seasons.
We'll see.

(bobcat- what's up man. still in the land of the rising sun, eh? Don't get too comfortable cause before long you'll be back to reality.. in Columbus)
Old 2003.09.03, 09:36 PM   #10
bobcat

Yes that is true, soon I will be back to reality. I'm looking for something to allow me to come back for a longer stay though. At least a year hopefully.
I haven't been to any events yet but I'm hoping to go to some before I come home. I bought an Enzo as well but I haven't found a diff or any new mr-02 bodies yet (Kyosho or otherwise).

The store I bought the car at had all the new parts for the MR-02 but no ball diff and I couldn't understand what the guy said when I asked him about it.

Prices are actually quite cheap for Mini-zs here. I paid 13500 yen for mine which comes to about $115, the diff is about $25 too (of course I had to pay $800 to get here).

Last edited by bobcat; 2003.09.04 at 08:15 AM.
Old 2003.09.04, 02:55 AM   #11
mailboxck

That's nice. I wonder when will our local LHC have original kyosho parts. GPM ball diff looks nice though but Kyosho's alot nicer. Did you notice...for the MR01...kyosho had 2 versions of the ball diff. They found some ways to improve it and released a sort of better looking diff than the GPM one
Old 2003.09.04, 07:28 AM   #12
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

Quote:
I bought an Enzo as well but I haven't found a diff or any new mr-02 bodies yet (Kyosho or otherwise).
bobcat- i found the mr02 runs well even with stock diff. i tried to put an F1 ball diff on it and seems the length is good but the gear is too large in diameter that it interferes too much with the pinion.
i think i'm going to try transferring a sedan diff gear into an F1 diff and see if that works

you'll be glad you got that MR02. handling is phenomenal. you still may have to switch the tires cause the stock ones offer no traction.

we'll most likely run a separate class now. You'll make the fourth mr02 at TTs
Old 2003.09.04, 08:26 AM   #13
bobcat

The best thing about my mr-02 is that it came with channel 10.

I think it's a good idea to keep them separate. How did the mr-02 handle the glitching at TT's?

I've been using mine on the hardwood floor in my room and even with stock tires it gets sufficient traction. I can't wait to actually try it out with good tires on carpet.

Did all the mr-02s in the enduro use the Enzo bodies? I really hate the Enzo but I don't wanna sacrifice the mid-mount motor just for a new body.
Old 2003.09.04, 09:45 AM   #14
mailboxck

Have you guys tried to put thick grease on the diff? I've use automotive grease. Its dark red and its very tacky. I think that would work fine. Just put it in the diff like how you'd usually lube it.
Old 2003.09.04, 09:55 AM   #15
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

Quote:
I think it's a good idea to keep them separate. How did the mr-02 handle the glitching at TT's?
i forgot to mention that. none of us had any glitching problems what so ever. A big relief that the electronics was improved in this area.

Quote:
Did all the mr-02s in the enduro use the Enzo bodies? I really hate the Enzo but I don't wanna sacrifice the mid-mount motor just for a new body
mark and john used their enzo bodies. like you i don't like the body it comes with. reminds me of the Mach 5. Since i'm a Merc fan i ditched the Ferrari shell and fitted the new black AMG mercedes on there

http://www2.gpmd.com/image/k/kyos0075.jpg

i had to widen out the rear fenders like you did the focus but other than that the front adapter and side mounts work great on the 02 chassis. i'd show pics but i'm exeriencing problems downloading them in my album.

Last edited by West.F1; 2003.09.04 at 09:58 AM.