Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.10.23, 10:26 AM   #1
spiike

Detachable antenna.

Hey Guys 'n' girls.

I'm quite new to the mini Z scene, and don't know much about the ins and outs like most of you do. However i've attempted to make a detachable antenna for my car inspired by the annoyance of the car not fitting into my lil tool box because of the piece of wire sticking out. Here's what i came up with.

The car with the detachable antenna that can be extended.

Closeup shot of the mounting of the antenna

What the car looks like when the antenna is taken off.

I'm not sure if anyone else has done this before but the results are great for me. I can use the antenna extended or just normal. The range hasn't changed either.

Anyway, thanks for your time. I hope some ppl like this idea.

Bye.

Last edited by spiike; 2003.10.23 at 10:44 AM.
spiike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.10.23, 11:18 AM   #2
Cian@work
Aargh! get me outta here!

cool!
is that aerial from another RC transmitter? How far up does it extend?
Doesn't it make the car top heavy?
Old 2003.10.23, 11:24 AM   #3
spiike

The antenna's from the controller of a mini r/c car. I just cut it off leaving the last two sections that i have used. I'm trying to find a smaller antenna. The top of the car feels a lil heavy when i fully extend it, but if i leave it down....it doesn't seem to have any problems.
Old 2003.10.23, 11:31 AM   #4
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
interesting idea, but wouldn't it be better to use an old cellphone antenna? they are smaller and lighter and flexible.

when i had a small rc box, i made a detachable antenna too using quick disconnects.
see me
and me
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.10.23, 11:35 AM   #5
spiike

Yea, i was trying to find my old phones, but i found that they all had stubby antennas...I'm not sure if they would work. I'll give it a try one day.
Old 2003.10.23, 11:36 AM   #6
spiike

BTW - I like your idea of the quick connectors. Thats what i've use but with a FAT antenna....Might change the original tomorrow.
Old 2003.10.23, 05:23 PM   #7
DAMZer
Zen_gineer

I've posted this someplace else, but if you'll simply open the loop at the antenna screw end, you now have a hook that will allow you to slide the antenna onto the screw and then tighten.

To remove simply back off the srew a turn or so and you can slide the antenna out from the screw.

Fast, simple, and $0.00 cost.
Old 2003.10.23, 05:52 PM   #8
N2Deep
Mini-Z Master

I don't know if you guys are still able to get your hands on some, but the best way that I think we all can extend our range and boost our reception is by installing those "As Seen on T.V." mobile antennae. Its a peice of tape that has an odd shape metallic imprinted on it. I have used this on my cell phone and brought my reception all the way to the top notch of power signal, I have also used it on my mini-z (attached it underneathe the antennae hole) and have boosted my range. I can drive my mini-z at a local 1/10th scale track with no problem. I have a few left in my pit box so if any of you want one, please let me know. I personally think its better then Kyosho's antennae booster set and way better than putting a capacitor in the antennae wire. Your cost will be $8 including shipping anywhere in the U.S.

Have fun.
Old 2003.10.23, 05:58 PM   #9
N2Deep
Mini-Z Master

Also want to add that for best result, place the tape-antennae close to your CPU or if you cut down the antennae wire, you can place it close to the shorten wire and still see results. I believe the retail of these go for around $19.95.