Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.06.03, 11:48 AM   #1
TNB
Pet Human

Xmod Turning

I didn't really want to start another thead but after reading 15 pages of an older thread and not being able to get to page 16 for some reason, here we are on this new thread.

Anyway, in order to compare a Mini-Z to an Xmod, I purchased an Xmod Monday and put every hop-up I could locate at two local Radio Shacks on it (awd, bearings, suspension, motor upgrade, tire upgrade, body kit, lights and so on). Eventually, I removed the AWD and used Kyosho Mini-Z-Racer 20s in the front when running on the RCP Mini-Tile.

However, I've noticed the Xmod makes a larger turn going one direction than the other and I've read a few posts by others whose Xmod does the same thing. Is this normal? Basically, I have to power brake the Xmod to make a 180 turn on the RCP Mini-Tile going one way, but it will actually make the turn going the other direction. I also tinkered with the suspension adjustments but it was still a no go and both front arms appear to be adjusted the same. Any suggestions or is that a manufacturer flaw?

For the curious, there are photos of it next to my 1:5th scale and a few others in Gallery TNB, Album Xmod.

Last edited by TNB; 2004.06.03 at 11:51 AM.
TNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.06.04, 11:08 AM   #2
reaperman93010

my mini-z does that with its turning radius. I'd love to know what's screwed up.

I can't recall if my xmod did it as I could never execute a turn without spinning 180deg.
reaperman93010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.06.09, 09:23 PM   #3
xley

how do the two compare speed wise?
xley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.06.10, 12:22 AM   #4
TNB
Pet Human

I've never topped out the Xmod because it can't ever seem to make the turn.
Old 2004.06.10, 06:22 AM   #5
Stagg

Ok, well i hav read, and DONE this mod

What you need Soldering Iron
and a 3.3 khm Resistor, and a xmod

Ok all you do isd get the servo out of the xmod, by removing a few screws. The on the Brown and Orange wires Solder the 3.3 resistors on them, you WILL have to sand the chassis for this mod, becasue of the better turning. If only the Brown and orange dont work you have to solder one more on the red. This is a great mod for the xmod, my steering radius was cut almost in half.
Stagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.06.10, 10:49 AM   #6
reaperman93010

it's at this point that I'd like to remind everybody how much more trouble xmods are than they're worth.
Old 2004.06.10, 11:16 AM   #7
TNB
Pet Human

I only purchased an Xmod to compare it with a Mini-Z and the possibility of racing it in the Xmod XRL Tournament. And according to the rules the last I checked, no electrical modifications were allowed and all Shack upgrades were supposed to be installed as stated in the Shack instructions. However, if I decide not to race the Xmod (which seems more doubtful each time I run it), I may do the resister mod if I decide not to keep it that way so others can tell the difference for themselves if I let them drive it. Quite frankly, it's too much work just to drive the dang Xmod on the Mini-Tile set up or at least the layout I used yesterday. The only way it even would have beat my Overland Hummer was by knocking it off the track with the Xmod's own weight. Photos of the layout I used this time are in Gallery TNB--only the Enzo is on the track.
Old 2004.06.10, 11:43 AM   #8
reaperman93010

if you look at the xmods tracks, they're usually wider. That oval they sell has 36" lanes and being an oval you have a helluva lot of space to make your turn. 6 ft actually. An xmod can easily do that--if yours doesn't, take the parts off it and bring it back.

Don't they have a steering upgrade available? A toe-in maybe
Old 2004.06.10, 12:32 PM   #9
TNB
Pet Human

The Xmods tracks "ARE" RCP Tracks.

I also realize that the Shack will "not" be using an RCP Mini-Tile at their tournament and I haven't even seen the Mini-Tile listed on the Shack website. Perhaps, the Shack figures it's Xmod can't handle a Mini-Tile without some electrical modification, but even if that is true it is not the point of this thread. I also run on a 4L quite frequently which is 4 "Wide Ls"; however, I would rather practice and learn better driving skills on a "mini-tile" before getting back on the large "super freeway tracks" with other drivers.

I already have the steering upgrade and every other upgrade I could find at the Shack as mentioned in my first post.

Edit: This link shows the difference in size. The "brown" center pieces are the off-road expansion pack with some mini-tiles laid on it.

http://mini-zracer.com/albums/album3...ck50_30ctr.jpg

Last edited by TNB; 2004.06.10 at 01:50 PM.
TNB is offline   Reply With Quote